Board index » Across the Megaverse® » Guild of Magic & Psionics

 


Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:46 am
  

User avatar
Explorer

Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:52 pm
Posts: 133
Location: Inbound to Florida
I have been playing Elder Scrolls latley and one spell in the game I have been needing more offent ehn not is a Dis-spell magic, ridding all magic (weither my own or the opponates) from my character.

I don't play magic users (too confusing to me) and dabbled in Psionics, so I don't know much about Rifts Magic, but is there a dis-spell magic? could there be a dis-spell magic? how would you work it?

and another random question: can Magic users (assuming a high enough level) create new spells?

_________________
I am "The Original, Incredible, Legendary, Infamous D.A." - Horse Eaters!


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:07 am
  

User avatar
Adventurer

Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:39 pm
Posts: 646
Location: here, for now
There is a negate magic spell, which I believe is closest to dis-spell.

In a system where anything is possible...Yes I would say to mages creating their own new spell. I have allowed a player to do so before, but It takes time...a long time to do so. And practice among other things.

_________________
We may be through with the past, but the past is not through with us.
- the Book

another year come and gone without a PF release. :(


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:07 am
  

User avatar
Voice of the Gateway

Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:19 pm
Posts: 2190
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
seven wrote:
I have been playing Elder Scrolls latley and one spell in the game I have been needing more offent ehn not is a Dis-spell magic, ridding all magic (weither my own or the opponates) from my character.

I don't play magic users (too confusing to me) and dabbled in Psionics, so I don't know much about Rifts Magic, but is there a dis-spell magic? could there be a dis-spell magic? how would you work it?

and another random question: can Magic users (assuming a high enough level) create new spells?


Might want to take another look at morrowind's dispell magic. It's actually called dispell Magick which is very handy. Basically, it only cancel's harmful spells on you, NOT the good ones and protects you from harmful spells for it's duration. If you've found the boots of blinding speed (which increase your speed attribute by 200 but also give you 100% blindness) just create a spell that for one second has 100% to 100% dispell on it. While your character is waving their arms, go into the inventory screen, stick the shoes on quick, and presto! 200+ speed and no blindness.

On to the rifts questions, there are three cancel spells. Negate magic, anti-magic cloud, and dispell curse. There will be one or two new ones included with Rifter 0 as well.

As for making new spells, any mage can do it. The rules are in Through the Glass Darkly, a nightbane book that is handy for any palladium game that uses magic. It does help to be high level though.

_________________
Listen to Gateway to the Megaverse!
Download Rifter0


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:14 pm
  

Hero

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:29 pm
Posts: 1064
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
the diss spell ...
with each casting of this particular spell, a phantom voice spits out a variety of 'yo moma' jokes that only the victim of the spell can hear. this phantom dissing is delivered with enough venom to unerve and inffuriate anyone. if the save is succesful the victim is distracted and loses initiative, one action per melee and has a penalty of -15% to all skill requireing concentration. should the victim of this spell fail, they firmly believe that one of their companions (or the next closest person) is the source of the dissing and will attack them immediately unless they succeed on a mental endurance roll (all of the above penalties still apply).

ppe 4
duration one melee per level
range 100ft, line of sight
save standard.

_________________
diagonally parked in a parallel universe

One book to rule them all. One book to find them. One book to bring them all and in the Megaverse bind them.

As you sit down with your players and start to unfold your story, remember one thing: plot never survives contact with players.


Last edited by EPIC on Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:15 pm
  

User avatar
Hero

Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:55 pm
Posts: 846
Location: BC, Canada
Comment: I see people as people first, anything else is secondary
LOL ... as bad as that spell is .. it is sadly funny.

reminds me of the - text YO to *5 numbers* ... its a canadian thing .. but hey ... i still think its cool.

:-D

_________________
Creator of the Chi grenade. Used in game by Kevarin [GM] and self as Mai - Civilian Martial artist that got amped via experiment. Ghost weapons and shirts rule.

Nano Missiles - used once and GM banned further use. They weren't THAT bad. and did stop a demon scout ship from returning with valuable info.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:52 am
  

User avatar
Explorer

Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:52 pm
Posts: 133
Location: Inbound to Florida
Prince Artemis wrote:
Might want to take another look at morrowind's dispell magic. It's actually called dispell Magick which is very handy. Basically, it only cancel's harmful spells on you, NOT the good ones and protects you from harmful spells for it's duration. If you've found the boots of blinding speed (which increase your speed attribute by 200 but also give you 100% blindness) just create a spell that for one second has 100% to 100% dispell on it. While your character is waving their arms, go into the inventory screen, stick the shoes on quick, and presto! 200+ speed and no blindness.

On to the rifts questions, there are three cancel spells. Negate magic, anti-magic cloud, and dispell curse. There will be one or two new ones included with Rifter 0 as well.

As for making new spells, any mage can do it. The rules are in Through the Glass Darkly, a nightbane book that is handy for any palladium game that uses magic. It does help to be high level though.


Elder Scrolls: Oblivion. so far it gets rid of everythign I have in effect as ling as it covers the points or duration. if it dosn't it cuts the time of duration down.
we had an episode in rifts last week or two ago where we, the whole group, was stuck in a super carpet of adhesion (stupid high level magic users and ley lines :x ) but that got me thinking and was just curipus about it.

and EPIC, that was funny! :lol:

_________________
I am "The Original, Incredible, Legendary, Infamous D.A." - Horse Eaters!


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:35 pm
  

User avatar
Monk

Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2000 1:01 am
Posts: 15640
Location: Eastvale, calif
EPIC wrote:
the diss spell ...
with each casting of this particular spell, a phantom voice spits out a variety of 'yo moma' jokes that only the victim of the spell can hear. this phantom dissing is delivered with enough venom to unerve and inffuriate anyone. if the save is succesful the victim is distracted and loses initiative, one action per melee and has a penalty of -15% to all skill requireing concentration. should the victim of this spell fail, they firmly believe that one of their companions (or the next closest person) is the source of the dissing and will attack them immediately unless they succeed on a mental endurance roll (all of the above penalties still apply).

ppe 4
duration one melee per level
range 100ft, line of sight
save standard.



Gota save this one...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

_________________
Q's on this board need canon answers first for the question that was asked. Then you can post your own opinions or house rules, they need to be listed/declareds as your own opinions or house rules.


My Artwork


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:33 am
  

User avatar
Dungeon Crawler

Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:05 am
Posts: 240
Location: Michigan
Couldn't Anti-Magic Cloud be considered an dis-spell/negate magic spell? Unlike the other two though it affects an area rather then a specific target.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:01 pm
  

User avatar
Voice of the Gateway

Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:19 pm
Posts: 2190
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
seven wrote:
Prince Artemis wrote:
Might want to take another look at morrowind's dispell magic. It's actually called dispell Magick which is very handy. Basically, it only cancel's harmful spells on you, NOT the good ones and protects you from harmful spells for it's duration. If you've found the boots of blinding speed (which increase your speed attribute by 200 but also give you 100% blindness) just create a spell that for one second has 100% to 100% dispell on it. While your character is waving their arms, go into the inventory screen, stick the shoes on quick, and presto! 200+ speed and no blindness.

On to the rifts questions, there are three cancel spells. Negate magic, anti-magic cloud, and dispell curse. There will be one or two new ones included with Rifter 0 as well.

As for making new spells, any mage can do it. The rules are in Through the Glass Darkly, a nightbane book that is handy for any palladium game that uses magic. It does help to be high level though.


Elder Scrolls: Oblivion. so far it gets rid of everythign I have in effect as ling as it covers the points or duration. if it dosn't it cuts the time of duration down.
we had an episode in rifts last week or two ago where we, the whole group, was stuck in a super carpet of adhesion (stupid high level magic users and ley lines :x ) but that got me thinking and was just curipus about it.

and EPIC, that was funny! :lol:


Ah, Oblivion has different rules than Morrowind so my bad.

_________________
Listen to Gateway to the Megaverse!
Download Rifter0


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:18 pm
  

User avatar
Hero

Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:49 pm
Posts: 1252
Location: Hell
Oblivion goes for more of a "consume" approach than actually dispelling the effects. Morrowind had the same mechanic available iirc though I never saw a use for it.

_________________
What a cruel thing is war: to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, and to devastate the fair face of this beautiful world. - R E Lee
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - G Orwell


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:11 pm
  

User avatar
Hero

Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:55 pm
Posts: 846
Location: BC, Canada
Comment: I see people as people first, anything else is secondary
there is a 7th level spell .. 'dispel magic barriers'

according to the, well ONE of the NB books, a bit of spell research and stuff could work and make it a 'dis-spell magic' .. combine it with some elements of 'reflect' and a few others and you MIGHT have a powerful spell that's capable of what you want ... ?

just an idea

_________________
Creator of the Chi grenade. Used in game by Kevarin [GM] and self as Mai - Civilian Martial artist that got amped via experiment. Ghost weapons and shirts rule.

Nano Missiles - used once and GM banned further use. They weren't THAT bad. and did stop a demon scout ship from returning with valuable info.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:44 pm
  

User avatar
Dungeon Crawler

Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:07 pm
Posts: 215
Location: The Center for Mutant Management - Perth/Australia
I use the simple rule that any spell of the same level or above can be used to negate magic. Initiative (rolled after the main roll-Twice) between the spell-flingers determines the outcome.
Negation is determined by the amount of PPE expended;
1) If twice the amount of the spell to be negated is used-Automatic dispel.
2) Anything below that to the amount of the spell is a percentile.

_________________
The gate of hell lives inside us all. Pass through it and see it exists no more.

'Love says I am Everything. Wisdom says I am Nothing. Between the two my life flows.' Tao Te Ching

'The fear of god is the template of knowledge. Fools despise wisdom and instruction.' Holy Bible


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:00 pm
  

User avatar
Hero

Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:55 pm
Posts: 846
Location: BC, Canada
Comment: I see people as people first, anything else is secondary
hmm .. i should have done my research a little better .. there IS a 'negate magic' spell. its 8th level ..

but i was wondering. if you get attacked by something like ... *picks a random spell* fire bolt [level 4] .. is it POSSIBLE ... i it possible at all to come up with a 'counter spell', that would basically make the spell sorta met the offending one in the middle and scrap it out like 2 beams of light or power like in the anime cartoons ? ...

*blinks* .. man did that ever come out lame ... sorry .. people are NOT going to know the same 'command words' if its in another language ... my bad .. so sorry, thus unless they make their 'lore - magic at say a -25% .. they will have NO flipping clue WHAT spell is coming at them. unless they be meta-gaming .. and as a reuslt should be taken out behind the barn in the back 40 and shot

_________________
Creator of the Chi grenade. Used in game by Kevarin [GM] and self as Mai - Civilian Martial artist that got amped via experiment. Ghost weapons and shirts rule.

Nano Missiles - used once and GM banned further use. They weren't THAT bad. and did stop a demon scout ship from returning with valuable info.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:25 am
  

Adventurer

Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:00 pm
Posts: 580
there is the psi-nullifier in the Psyscape book which is a class with the ability to negate spells as they're being cast.

_________________
Swordsman of Shadow and Flame, Warrior of the Light
The Palladium Brownie Man!


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:31 pm
  

User avatar
Hero

Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:55 pm
Posts: 846
Location: BC, Canada
Comment: I see people as people first, anything else is secondary
i have a thought here that confuses me a little

now for the thought. mage A posts in the game room 'casts Fire Bolt .. Mage B suddenly *activates 'protection from fire charm* to get reduced or NO damage.
HOW does mage B know what Mge A is about to cast? .. its basically metagaming to have the appropriate defense up before the attack happens. isn't it?
so unless actions are told to the GM via IM's .... its kinda pointles to be 'sneaky' and cast spells ... isn't it?
WHAT is the point of having mage fighting in a game. mage A does AoI .. on himself .. a CoA on the enemy and then promptly starts raining Call Lightning on mage B.
thats the solution one person gave to me about how best to defeat anything. mind you the person was a dragon hatching of some sort.

_________________
Creator of the Chi grenade. Used in game by Kevarin [GM] and self as Mai - Civilian Martial artist that got amped via experiment. Ghost weapons and shirts rule.

Nano Missiles - used once and GM banned further use. They weren't THAT bad. and did stop a demon scout ship from returning with valuable info.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:45 am
  

User avatar
Voice of the Gateway

Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:19 pm
Posts: 2190
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
If the mages are from the same area and both know the spell, then there is the chance that the mage will recognize what's being cast by the invocaton.

If mage b doesn't know the spell but is from the same area, i'd say a lore magic would be required(may have heard it cast before).

If mage b knows the spell but isn't from the same area then a lore magic check is required. If mage b doesn't know the spell and isn't from the area, I don't even think lore magic would apply.

The reason area is so important is because different cultures, societies and locations cast magic differently depending on their custom. The spells may be the same but how they are cast is not. Spells might be the same statistically but be different in cosmetic appearance. A culture that worships cats might cast a fireball that looks like a flaming cat or cats head, ect. This is all covered in the nightbane book: Through the Glass Darkly.

_________________
Listen to Gateway to the Megaverse!
Download Rifter0


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:30 pm
  

Hero

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:29 pm
Posts: 1064
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
why not just have the defending mage make an IQ test vs. the offensive mage's ME attribute to see if they can recognize the spell. then roll for initiative to see who wins, if the defender wins they are able to dispell the magic.

in order to dispell the magic, the mage should have a spell that is of an opposing force to the original spell being cancelled. so that when the two types of magic collide they cancel eachother out.

_________________
diagonally parked in a parallel universe

One book to rule them all. One book to find them. One book to bring them all and in the Megaverse bind them.

As you sit down with your players and start to unfold your story, remember one thing: plot never survives contact with players.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:54 am
  

User avatar
Dungeon Crawler

Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:07 pm
Posts: 215
Location: The Center for Mutant Management - Perth/Australia
Mages are a part of magic and are essentially creatures of magic.
How does a dragon sense magic? Simple, it is a creature of magic. It's like us feeling an icy wind tear into our bones.
Mages are tapped into the magic of the time and so they feel the currents around them with greater ability - the more they are able to warp it.
With this in mind they would sense to some degree what shape is being formed (ie; the spell level/nature) Using Lore: Magic to identify the nature of the spell, thus knowing how much P.P.E. to expend. The varience of the die determining the extent of knowing.

_________________
The gate of hell lives inside us all. Pass through it and see it exists no more.

'Love says I am Everything. Wisdom says I am Nothing. Between the two my life flows.' Tao Te Ching

'The fear of god is the template of knowledge. Fools despise wisdom and instruction.' Holy Bible


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:19 am
  

User avatar
Adventurer

Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:08 pm
Posts: 501
Location: Albertland
Comment: Growing old is mandatory,
Growing up is optional!!!!
One method my group used was if a friendly magic-user could see the enemy magic-user at the time the bad-man ( :D ) was casting; then the fiendly magic-user could engage in an Egg-battle (yes, we have watched 'Big trouble in little china' many times), basically, see if you cast the spell (we used a ((spell level X 10)-character level) % chance of miscast on D100, with a fail as a 'something nasty tries to eat you *insert G.M. nasty here*'); to oppose the casting, the mages then used their I.Q. bonus (if any) + however many P.P.E. points they were willing to spend ad nauseum!.

This resulted in opposing magic-users 'dueling' for a long time in the middle of a battle with the other characters basically running around protecting them.

Psychics could do a similar thing with M.E. (instead of I.Q.) & I.S.P. (instead of P.P.E.) with a fail called 'your brain has been pushed through your feet due to improper leverage' or 'you got brain feet!'

It was a bit more complicated, but we found that the magic/psionic characters played very differently to the physical fighters, & usually ended up with the mage/psychic keeping the enemy mage/psychic busy while the others went up & tonked 'em!

The enemy was trying to do the same of course. Also, a psychic could only 'duel' psychics & magic-users could only 'duel' magic-users.


8-)

_________________
"Anyone who is not shocked by quantum theory has not understood it." - Neils Bohr

"All fungi are edible! Some fungi are edible only once!"

"Religion is for people who lack faith."

ALBERTLANDER!!!!

http://www.sofageek.com
An invitation to all scifi/fantasy geeks who find the sofa just too comfortable!!!!


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:00 pm
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2000 1:01 am
Posts: 3677
Location: Canada
Comment: I like magic.
When you say 'rid all magic from you' do you mean so that a wizard could lose his magic if he wanted? There is one like that (might be in nightbane though) where you can store all your PPE (and thus your magic auraness and scent) inside another person. Good for getting by dog boys.

_________________
Spoiler:
Desirable or not, just about any humanoid, mammal, and even monster can have sex with another species of life.
A mutant dog mated with a mutant cat may make a cute couple. - Rifts Conversion Book 1
Image


          Top  
 
Offline
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:31 am
  

User avatar
OLD ONE

Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2000 2:01 am
Posts: 7710
Location: Indianapolis
Comment: PROUDLY Not a member of the "Cabal of 24"
Negate Magic
Anti-Magic Cloud

_________________
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:49 pm
  

User avatar
Voice of the Gateway

Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:19 pm
Posts: 2190
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Tyciol wrote:
When you say 'rid all magic from you' do you mean so that a wizard could lose his magic if he wanted? There is one like that (might be in nightbane though) where you can store all your PPE (and thus your magic auraness and scent) inside another person. Good for getting by dog boys.


The spell you're referring to is transferal and I think that one is in all the games. There is also a spell in Rifter 17 i do beleive which curses someone so they can never tap ppe again, their own or outside sources.

_________________
Listen to Gateway to the Megaverse!
Download Rifter0


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:30 pm
  

User avatar
Adventurer

Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:17 am
Posts: 796
Location: Denver, Co
Comment: Darkness...You Afraid?
Negate Magic
Anti Magic Cloud
Dispell Curse
Dispell Magic Barrier
Purge Self
Purge Other

_________________
Society can create its own "monsters" through maintenance of the social status quo and people's self-serving brutality launched against others to justify their own ego issues.


          Top  
 
 
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Warshield73


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group