TW Camp Defender

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

TW Camp Defender

Unread post by Thinyser »

TW Camp Defender.

This small lantern like device has a copper ring instead of a mantle and wick with a switch on its base. Upon flipping the switch the device determines that all beings within a 60’ radius are “friendly” and that everything that is not in this circle is a potential threat. These threats regardless of whom or what they are get zapped with a 1d6x10 lightning bolt. If the target has seen one of these devices before and has made a difficult perception check to notice this one then they get a split second notice from a tingling and their hair standing on end giving them a chance to dodge. Still the bolt rarely misses and you need a natural 20 or modified 24 to dodge it. If the intruder does not leave the 60’ perimeter or lay completely motionless within 3 seconds he will be fired upon again and again every 3 seconds until the device is out of PPE.
Oddly the device fails to function if it is moved so much as an inch. To keep it stable the design incorporates a steel stake that is pressed/hammered down into the ground that the device magnetically attaches to.

Weight: 3 Pounds
Height: 14 inches
Width: Ring’s diameter is 12 inches and the base’s is about 6 inches
Activation cost: 10 PPE*
Damage: 1d6x10 MDC
Range: 60 feet radius from the device.
Payload: (Up to) 10**
PPE Construction cost: 200
Spells needed: Call lightning, Watchguard, & Energy bolt.
Construction time: 200 Hours
Gems needed: 16 carats of red zircon, 10 carats of fire opal, & 5 carats of diamonds for the 100 PPE storage.
Cost for materials: 134,000 Credits
Retail cost: 180,000-200,000 Credits

* NOTE: The actual activation is delayed until the switch is flipped. Note that this 10 PPE can come from the PPE storage but it doesn’t have to, any mage can channel 10 PPE into it on top of the storage.

**NOTE: The machine can store up to 100 PPE giving a payload of up to 10 bolts, note that the damage is only inflicted by the stored PPE so if this is used for activation rather than the mage channeling it the payload is reduced by one.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Mithral wrote:I like it. My only concern is the possible distruction of friendlies that weren't in position when it was turned on (such as villagers visiting the party unexpectedly in the night to beg for help and that sort of thing...)

Yep thats part of the device's appeal... er I mean balance. You see it limits its use to areas of very low population or very high danger where you cannot afford to have more people awake but want to have that extra level of protection. There is always that risk that a wandering villager or passing lawman (yeah right lawman, HA!) might come seeking help and get fried but hey thems the choices you make.

For an addiotional cost you could get one with a seperate SDC warning zaper so that it chases off smaler critters and gives non malevolent intruders a reason to back off and announce their intentions... but where's the fun in that? :demon:
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

That is a cool item!
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Re: Fundamental TW concepts

Ickus wrote:Remembering the TW items are supposed to enhance the effects of the existing device I think it is too over powered for just a lantern.

A lantern isnt really an automated camp defence util... now if you stuck it ontop of some form of automated defence system to enhance its automatic foe detection capabilities I like the idea.

If you wanted to TW a lantern... I would rule you could make it reveal any hidden/invis with the appropriate spells. Possibly even have an audible alarm (just have some form of motion detector add-on). Not shoot scarily powerful energy bolts.

Well its not a "lantern", it doesn't shine light on anything, nor is it meant to reveal anything. Its about the size and shape of a lantern, and the rule is that "form should follow function" which this does just fine using its 360* ring to emit lightning in any direction.

The point of TW is that you don't need to have an automated defence system to work with, you don't have to augment an exsisting tech device, in fact most TW items are made from scratch or at the most use a housing and a few parts from a normal tech item.

And the whole point is to shoot big nasty lightning bolts at them, not set off an alarm. If I wanted an alarm I would just use a bell or motion senser as a "focus" and cast an alarm type spell.

Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Those are some more nice TW items! Thanks for sharing!
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”