Learning magic class abilties.

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Blue_Lion
Knight

Learning magic class abilties.

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Something I thought of from a debate.
Most OCC state weather or not they can learn magic any time as a class ability. So would that make weather or not they could a class ability?
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
thorr-kan
Adventurer

Re: Learning magic class abilties.

Unread post by thorr-kan »

Blue_Lion wrote:Something I thought of from a debate.
Most OCC state weather or not they can learn magic any time as a class ability. So would that make weather or not they could a class ability?

Are you thinking of things like the Ley Line Walker's Observation Ball?
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Being able to learn magic at will, instead of at level, is definitely a class ability.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Okay...backing up to the begining and paraphrasing.....(asking if this is what was meant...)

'Most OCC state whether or not they can learn new magic Spells from instruction at any time as a class ability. So would that make whether or not they could, a class ability?'

I would answer this question in the following...

It all depends on if the magic user practices the Magic Sciences or the Magical Arts.

If the magic user is a practitioner of the Magical Sciences, then because of the way they came to knowing how to use magic give them the ability to learn new spells from instruction from another practitioner of the Magical Sciences.

Practitioners of the Mystic Arts are dependent on their mystical sponsor for new spells or need to meditate to receive the ability to cast a new spell from the universe. (Or the from the char's soul's personal growth if a CoM.)

If the class does not not have anything in it saying that they can learn new spells from other mages, then if you get technical, that class performs the Mystic Arts. That being can't learn new spells from mages.
(This usage of the word 'mages', is has the specific meaning: practitioners of the magical sciences.)

Canon Citation: PF: MoM book 1 page 7. [And the rest of the book to while you are there.]
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Mark Hall wrote:Being able to learn magic at will, instead of at level, is definitely a class ability.

But if the opposite is stated in class ability would the inability to not also be a class ability?
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Blue_Lion
Knight

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
'Most OCC state whether or not they can learn new magic Spells from instruction at any time as a class ability. So would that make whether or not they could, a class ability?'

If the class does not not have anything in it saying that they can learn new spells from other mages, then if you get technical, that class performs the Mystic Arts. That being can't learn new spells from mages.

Canon Citation: PF: MoM book 1 page 7. [And the rest of the book to while you are there.]

I am sorry but ignoring that you rant did not actually answer the asked question, if it is class ability, do you have quote that supports that stance?

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Blue_Lion wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:Being able to learn magic at will, instead of at level, is definitely a class ability.

But if the opposite is stated in class ability would the inability to not also be a class ability?

I would class it a class limitation, not ability.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Blue_Lion wrote:I am sorry but ignoring that you rant did not actually answer the asked question, if it is class ability, do you have quote that supports that stance?

[quote"drewkitty ~..~"]If the magic user is a practitioner of the Magical Sciences, then because of the way they came to knowing how to use magic give them the ability to learn new spells from instruction from another practitioner of the Magical Sciences.[/quote]
Yes, I did. It might of not of been in the form you were expecting.

To say my answer in a different way: For the classes that are of the magical sciences, being able to learn new magic spells from being taught by another practitioner of the magical sciences is a class ability.

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Canon Citation: PF: MoM book 1 page 7. [And the rest of the book to while you are there.]

I cited source material my answer is based on already. Though the page specific citation was for what classes are the magical sciences and what classes are the mystic arts. The rest of the book is the citation for what my answer was based on.

Even after saying that....your question can only be answered by an opinion based on All the magic texts as a whole. Which is why I cited the one book that has the most magic text in one place.

Rant...no.
Long Form answer...yes.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Yeah, I don't see why not.
As a default, you cannot learn magic without adopting particular character classes, or perhaps belonging to certain races
therefore it seems that learning magic is specifically a class ability and/or a racial ability.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”