Surgery, but no Diagnosis

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Surgery, but no Diagnosis

Unread post by Library Ogre »

So, let us say a character in your game has Psychic Surgery, but does not have Psychic Diagnosis.

What do you allow them to do with no medical skills? With only First Aid? With plenty of medical skills, but still no Psychic Diagnosis? Does the possession of mundane medical skills influence ability with psychic surgery at your table?
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
torjones
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Surgery, but no Diagnosis

Unread post by torjones »

Mark Hall wrote:So, let us say a character in your game has Psychic Surgery, but does not have Psychic Diagnosis.

What do you allow them to do with no medical skills? With only First Aid? With plenty of medical skills, but still no Psychic Diagnosis? Does the possession of mundane medical skills influence ability with psychic surgery at your table?

"A Psychic Diagnosis must be made before surgery is possible" I take that literally, since it seems to be quite unambiguous. Using Psychic Diagnosis is a prerequisite to using Psychic Surgery. If they are new players, I'd let them, one time only, swap powers out, but for people who this ain't their first rodeo, they should really know better. I don't often give hard "No"s out, but with the book being so clear on the subject, that would have to wind up a house rule, and a discussion would need to be made of it during session zero, which is already full of far more important things, imo.

May The Force be with you always.
Torrey
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

torjones wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:So, let us say a character in your game has Psychic Surgery, but does not have Psychic Diagnosis.

"A Psychic Diagnosis must be made before surgery is possible" I take that literally, since it seems to be quite unambiguous. Using Psychic Diagnosis is a prerequisite to using Psychic Surgery. If they are new players, I'd let them, one time only, swap powers out, but for people who this ain't their first rodeo, they should really know better. I don't often give hard "No"s out, but with the book being so clear on the subject, that would have to wind up a house rule, and a discussion would need to be made of it during session zero, which is already full of far more important things, imo.

This was always my interpretation as well, but I made diagnosis a requirement for surgery. Now I say this was my rule but in reality I never had to, the few PCs that had healing psi might have taken diagnosis without surgery but no one ever asked to take surgery without diagnosis.

Theoretically I might let someone with advanced imaging equipment use that to help them "see" what they need to do and then use psychic surgery to remove bullets or set bones but that would be it. I'm not sure if having a medical skill should have any real impact on the use of this power. IMO
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Captain_Nibbz
Adventurer

Unread post by Captain_Nibbz »

I can definitely see the line of logic for letting medical skills aid in the surgery, but I personally don't think that I would ever wave the requirement for the psychic diagnosis as it is specifically called out for being needed.

As an alternative however, what would you guys think of having a successful skill check with a medical skill give the character a bonus to their chance of success with the psychic diagnosis? I don't have my books in front of me and I don't recall if there is a roll to determine success with the diagnosis, but I feel like the two would be able to compliment each other.
A good friend will help you hide a body. A best friend will lend you the P.P.E. you need to resurrect the body as a loyal zombie servant.

"If I kept a list of all time worst Sound Off threads, this would be way up there." - Mack
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

I'll hedge a bit... I'd allow Psy Surgery if it was something as simple as an arrow stuck in a person's thigh. Basically you're using the power to aid in pulling the arrow out.

But using it to, say, remove a kidney stone? That's gonna require a psychic diagnosis even if the character has identified the problem via medical skills.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

I'd allow skills to perform the diagnosis before a psychic surgery, the same way I'd allow a psychic diagnosis before a conventional surgery.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”