Can a familiar learn to cast spells?

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Can a familiar learn to cast spells?

Unread post by ShadowHawk »

How do you guys feel about the topic at hand? Can a greater familiar learn to cast spells if the mage is willing to teach it, and it has the capacity to learn spells or it has a few spells already and no mention of if it can learn new spells or not? Before you ask, this is something that I am working on for a Rifter and I would rather not spoil it.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Can a familiar learn to cast spells?

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Sometimes.

Ones I would allow to learn spells (from PFRPG, 2nd edition)

Deevils, Devilkin, Fiends, Imps

All of these have relatively extensive magic abilities, rather than "here is a small selection of spells that are in line with their other abilities."
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

as per the spell: no, as per the familiar upgradign rules...not unless the spell casting ability is imbune into the familiar.

other wise.....
the cut offs I would impose on even 'concidering' if a particuler familiar can learn magic are these to things: Does the familiar have human level inteligence or better?, and: does the familiar have the PPE to case spells?

After those two are answered in the positive, then I would evaluate the character and the player's outlook for the char. It would be after this (as a GM) I would decide if I would allow it for that familiar for that game.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

Rifter went on hiatus after 84, so if that's your sticking point feel free to spill. I don't really have a problem with it, or with related tasks like using the PPE of a Talisman to activate a TW device.
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

Can your greater familiar who can cast spells get its own familiar?
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

dreicunan wrote:Can your greater familiar who can cast spells get its own familiar?

Yes.
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Curbludgeon wrote:Rifter went on hiatus after 84, so if that's your sticking point feel free to spill. I don't really have a problem with it, or with related tasks like using the PPE of a Talisman to activate a TW device.

Well, dsmn. That sorta sucks, but okay. I am going to be making a monster familiar spell. Mind you, you need to make a deal with said monster if you have an intelligent monster. If not, you can make a will/ME save.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Was this covered in a Rifter or the Nightbane books?
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Just have them earn enough XP per the class changing rules to be a 1st level wizard

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”