Board index » Across the Megaverse® » Guild of Magic & Psionics

Post subject: Pit cloak...
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:05 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Does/can a pit cloak make an actual hole or is it a dimensional pocket/portable pit type of thing?

Yeah, because if it is the first, this campaign maybe buggered.

Post subject: Re: Pit cloak...
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:13 pm

Monk

Comment: The Munchkin Fairy
It is physically impossible to pick up the cloak and turn it back to carry unless everything that has fallen inside is first removed. That leads me to beleive it is an actual hole and not a dimensional pocket, because there is no "other" space that things go into, the hole is real and will remain until completely empty.

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:14 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Yes, but now, suppose it was put on a roof or in this case a ship. Would there be a pit or a hole? Following me now?

Last edited by ShadowHawk on Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:33 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "
I had always read it as a pocket dimension for the simple reason that everything had to be out before you could move the cloak, so no leaving anything buried, and that when the cloak is moved there is no hole remaining.

Now for what you are talking about with starships and such you want mystic portal.

Ultimate Insider - WB 32: Lemuria
Ultimate Insider - WB 33: Northern Gun 1
Ultimate Insider - WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer - Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider - Rifts Bestiary: Volume 1

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:54 pm

Monk

ShadowHawk wrote:
Yes, but now, suppose it was put on a roof or in this case a ship. Would there be a pit or a hole? Following me know?

Well it would have been good to know that was your concern on the first post ;)

But the text itself gives the answer. It turns into a pit when thrown on the ground defined as dirt, sand, clay, rock and will not open a pit over air, roof, wood, a wall, ect. So the text itself says you cannot possibly use it on a ship and further shows it IS a real pit, but specifically can not be used on a ship. it can ONLY be used on the ground or a stone/clay floor of a building and no other surface whatever. It also prevents you from using it to go down a level in a multi-floor structure as that would be opening over air.

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:00 am

Megaversal® Ambassador

Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
ShadowHawk wrote:
Yes, but now, suppose it was put on a roof or in this case a ship. Would there be a pit or a hole? Following me know?

But the text itself gives the answer. It turns into a pit when thrown on the ground defined as dirt, sand, clay, rock and will not open a pit over air, roof, wood, a wall, ect. So the text itself says you cannot possibly use it on a ship and further shows it IS a real pit, but specifically can not be used on a ship. it can ONLY be used on the ground or a stone/clay floor of a building and no other surface whatever. It also prevents you from using it to go down a level in a multi-floor structure as that would be opening over air.

I have been trying to find this in the books for a few minutes now. Does the cloak create a pit that is then there for good or does the pit disappear when the cloak is moved?

Ultimate Insider - WB 32: Lemuria
Ultimate Insider - WB 33: Northern Gun 1
Ultimate Insider - WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer - Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider - Rifts Bestiary: Volume 1

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:38 am

Priest

Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay
I'd go with dimensional pocket.
It seems to be a Palladium version of a Portable Hole.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:02 am

Dungeon Crawler

Warshield73 wrote:
I had always read it as a pocket dimension for the simple reason that everything had to be out before you could move the cloak, so no leaving anything buried, and that when the cloak is moved there is no hole remaining.

Now for what you are talking about with starships and such you want mystic portal.

No, no, no...not a starship. And believe me I do not want this to happen, at all. I am the GM. The players have just looted a pirates ship, and the cutter that they have it overloaded, and they needed a place to put the stuff. So, not naming names...put one in the cargo hold to put some of it in to balance the weight and so they can load more onto the ship.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:24 am

Dungeon Crawler

She also brought onboard sand before she did this.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:57 pm

Monk

Warshield73 wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
ShadowHawk wrote:

I have been trying to find this in the books for a few minutes now. Does the cloak create a pit that is then there for good or does the pit disappear when the cloak is moved?

The cloak cannot be physically moved until the pit is empty, then the pit disappears.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:58 pm

Monk

ShadowHawk wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:

No, no, no...not a starship. And believe me I do not want this to happen, at all. I am the GM. The players have just looted a pirates ship, and the cutter that they have it overloaded, and they needed a place to put the stuff. So, not naming names...put one in the cargo hold to put some of it in to balance the weight and so they can load more onto the ship.

As I said, what she did can't actually be done because you can't use the Cloak on a Wood or Metal surface, period, there is no circumstance that would allow the players to use their cloak while at sea. It doesn't matter if it's dimensional or not because it simply won't work. you throw down the cloak and no pit forms.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:53 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
ShadowHawk wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:

As I said, what she did can't actually be done because you can't use the Cloak on a Wood or Metal surface, period, there is no circumstance that would allow the players to use their cloak while at sea. It doesn't matter if it's dimensional or not because it simply won't work. you throw down the cloak and no pit forms.

I repeat, "She also brought onboard sand before she did this."

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:57 am

Monk

ShadowHawk wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
ShadowHawk wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:

I repeat, "She also brought onboard sand before she did this."

I don't see how that would help? the text states: "It must be thrown vertically on the ground". Sand dumped atop of wood in a boat is not the "the ground"

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:37 pm

Demon Lord Extraordinaire

Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
ShadowHawk wrote:

Bizantium uses stone ships. ;)