Immure Entity: BtS to PF changes

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

Immure Entity: BtS to PF changes

Unread post by Axelmania »

This epic 11th-level spell was on page 122 of Beyond the Supernatural 1st edition. Explicit examples of entities it worked on were poltergeist, trapped (ie Syphon) entity and possessing entity. Though I think it was intended to work on all variants (ie also the Tectonic and Haunting)

Page 160 listed it among ways of dealing with Poltergeists, producing a confusing circumstance when this was reprinted on page 175 of Rifts Conversion Book 1, since the Rifts RPG did not include the Immure Entity spell. Nor did page 141 of Rifts Book of Magic, making its retention in Dark Conversions 77 a pretty significant re-oversight...

It had a single initial save and then you got a permanent minion who could use its powers to help you, so long as you kept it in the object. It could only get out if the object broke (hard to do if you pick a durable object!) or you willingly cancelled the spell.

Mysteries of Magic 1: The Heart of Magic pg 88 finally saw the spell in print a second time. This time not only as an 11th level wizard spell, but a mere 9th level for necromancers! There were some ups and downs to it. On the upside: it could now be used to imprison lesser demons! Not sure if it means ALL of them since it says "such as Labassu" and we know (PF2p218) they these "lost souls" are pretty entity-like in their own right.

There's also a 3rd option for freeing them: if the caster won't release them and you can't destroy the object (important consideration in a world with rune weapons or in MDC settings) exorcism will now also work.

Although BTSp160 mentions that exorcism can free Trapped/Siphon entities, I believe that referred to their natural ability to inhabit objects. "Banishment" is also mentioned as freeing them of their objects, but I don't think Banishment would work against an immured entity.

A second downside to this spell: instead of automatically obeying all commands, now the entity gets a save vs magic EVERY SINGLE TIME you ask it to do something. Failure doesn't set it free, but it does let you refuse...

Considering there's no cost to ask it stuff, you could probably just brute-force saves until it eventually fails. Poltergeists are the easiest (no bonus) then Tectonic/Possessing/Siphon (+2) and oddly the hardest to cast magic on is the Haunting Entity with a +3.

Mechanically I don't know how you would go about making requests to these guys. Spend a melee action talking to it to engineer a save? Is there an expiration date? Something like "use your telekinesis to deflect any weapons aimed at me forever" would be pretty useful for example, unless of course the entity starts deflecting stuff into your allies / fragile potion flasks / etc. in which case you would want to amend the command.

That makes me wonder: if it makes the resistance roll, would you know? Or could it pretend like it failed and obey a bit until an opportune moment and then not obey? I wonder about that with Summoner/Shifter minions who resist too: can they fool a shifter about whether or not they made the save? Are there ways to test this?

Probably one of the first commands you'd want to give an immured entity is "do not use telekinesis, levitation or ectoplasm to try and destroy your object, do not try and manipulate others into releasing you from your object" This would be easier in BTS (automatic obey) but tricky in PF since they might pass their save and the only way you'd know is if you catch them in the act of trying to destroy their objects!

This spell could be a major explanation for why there might be lower numbers of poltergeists on planets where lots of dimensional portals open, releasing a few every (or almost every) time: people who know this spell will go around hunting and immuring poltergeists for their own private use. Having dozens (hundreds?) of objects in your lair full of minions you can use TK/levitate is VERY useful...

Though I do wonder in their case, being non-verbal creatures, how much you could actually instruct them (or tectonic entities...). It seems like for carrying out orders, maybe only the more intelligent guys like Haunting / Siphon / Possessing entities might actually be able to comprehend commands? Or could you train Poltergeists/Tectonics to understand language like a dog?

Maybe this is where we need a Rogue Scholar from RUE to come along and teach secondary skills for all?

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”