Cloud of steam vs line of site.

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Cloud of steam vs line of site.

Unread post by ShadowHawk »

The game has ended for the moment. With the party in a pickle.

I have a fellow player who wants to a create cloud of steam 2 foot behind a wall OR create it and send it into the walls that the goblins(? Presumably goblins.) are hiding behind and firing crossbow bolts at us from multiple points. The passage has just been sealed by them and is 10 foot across/30 foot long...not sure on height.

But it will also put the party at risk while he basically tries force it through the holes. But I say go for it. If need be, the water warlock also has heal burns.

I am not sure how Shannon will rule on him being able to move the steam 2 ways at once.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Cloud of steam vs line of site.

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

If there are holes in the walls, then I don't see a reason he couldn't create the cloud in a U shape to hit on the other side of the wall and behind them.

What i'm not sure about is where does he get the cloud is moveable in the first place? Does the GM typically allow that? I decided to reread the text just to be sure, but as far as I can tell Cloud of Steam creates a stationary obsticle and nothing allows the wizard to move it once made.

Of course, at only 4 PPE, he could create new ones as the party withdraws for a short time at least.

Also now that I think about it, nothing says you can't cast multiple in the same area, can you stack them for layering penalties?

Don't mean to hijack your thread again, honest, but I am looking at the spell on page 221 of PF and I just don't see anything that allows the caster to move it once created unless the GM has already houseruled such is possible?
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Cloud of steam vs line of site.

Unread post by ShadowHawk »

No, you are not hijacking my thread with your statement. You are making a valid point. I am not sure, myself. There is also nothing that says it can't be moved once created.

But senses then, much has happened. He cast cloud of steam in the center of the hallway. Shannon took a moment to get a drink of his time before he started to type out and and his text to speech reader on his kindle, "Very well, make saving throws everyone except Jayce. There unfortunately is no need for me to roll saving throws for my guys. And roll damage Jayce." (he got a 11)..."You guys who saved take 5 1/2 damage. and you who didn't you take 11 points and are blinded for 1 full melee. And you guys hear in goblinese (um, let's just say, a lot of cursing) and screams of agony. As my guys all take 22 damage because they all just got a concentrated dose of steam from the slots. Their passage is just 5 foot across on either side." So, basically by putting his cloud of steam in the middle he almost took out the goblins and hobgoblins that were firing on us plus the ones above us in the first round. The ones above us were falling off of their 2.5' wide walkway. The 2nd round comes, Shannon gives him the option of using a token to keeping the damage at 11 or rolling. He chose to roll, and got a 10. And chose to be "on guard", and channeling PPE for a spell. I am the one who failed the save, so when it is my turn I ask Shannon if I can use my auto save token. He agrees, and tells me just to add a half point to my current sdc score. I am like, "cool. Yay. I can see, it's a miracle! Thank you Horus!" They all crack up. Shannon, who is actually Khemetic, raises an eyebrow, rolls something, laughs, and using his kindle to speak says "You hear a voice in you mind say 'You're welcome'." "I look in the wall, to the right...what do I see? Shannon asked me to roll a perception check to see through the steam. I think I got a 17, after bonuses. I saw a lever and several cooked goblins. And that ended my action. Next, my "faerie" familiar who is being played by Darius ask if the slits are big enough for him to fly though. Shannon nods and jesters the size. He asks, If you will allow me, I want to dart at one at max speed sword drown at the neck. Shannon: You don't really have enough room to maneuver in here, besides it will take a while to build up enough speed. and most of them won't live past the next round. However, I can let you do a dart with your sword, just not at top steed if you wish. They don't know it's coming so you're at major pluses. Roll to hit, and then roll to brace for impact. He rolled a 10 for the to hit and a 15 to pull it off. Okay 1 less Goblin. Nice job. Blah, blah, blah...you get the basics.

Edit: Oh, and in case any of you are wondering...The leaver was attached to a device that raises and also can lower the two stone walls at either end of the corridor. Zombie hamster powered. I pulled it with telekinesis.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”