Spd of Clown Golems on Giant Circus Balls?

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

Spd of Clown Golems on Giant Circus Balls?

Unread post by Axelmania »

This is regarding Ludicrous Magic spells from Rifter 9.5

pg 85 "Running on the ball quadruples the spellcaster's Spd attribute and enables him to safely travel over almost any type of surface and terrain - i.e. roll effortlessly across a swamp"
pg 91 "Spd 15 (30 if rolling)"

I'm not sure how to interpret that. Is that meant to mean that GCB doesn't work as well for Clown Golems (only x2 instead of x4) or would that be a base of 30 and then you multiply it by 4 to get 120 so they are better than usual?
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: Spd of Clown Golems on Giant Circus Balls?

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

What the attribute speed for Rolling likely indicates is that the Clown Golem can roll on the ground naturally in some fashion at the indicated speed and it is not for the GCB, which has its own Speed mechanism determined by the run speed attribute.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

Most Ludicrous Mages are less tall than the GCB, while all clown golems are as tall or taller. I'm going with the golems being not as fast while rolling due to weighing the ball down.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

ShadowLogan wrote:What the attribute speed for Rolling likely indicates is that the Clown Golem can roll on the ground naturally in some fashion at the indicated speed and it is not for the GCB, which has its own Speed mechanism determined by the run speed attribute.

This is what I'm going with.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I am going to go with "x2 was funnier than x4 for Golems"
Ludicrous magic is about as far from "rules lawyer heavy" as you can get.
It runs entirely on jokes, puns and what is funny.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Axelmania
Knight

Okay, but with that Joker film coming out, we should take a serious approach to clowns now!

The x4 doesn't really specify what kind of locomotion but presumably it means ground speed...

If Clown Golems x2 is from rolling on their body then couldn't they in theory roll as a ball themselves on top of a circus ball and still achieve the 120 that way?
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

How can the Clown Golem (or anyone really) Roll in place? If you can do that then what you are suggesting would be possible, but as it stands now I don't see it happening as the Golem will just roll off the ball.
Axelmania
Knight

The spell presumably gives you the balance to stay on the ball, and why couldn't their rolling give the friction to move it?

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”