Any ideas for psionic and magic for BtS?

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

gaby
Knight

Any ideas for psionic and magic for BtS?

Unread post by gaby »

Any ideas for Psionic powers and Magic spells for BtS?
thorr-kan
Adventurer

Re: Any ideas for psionic and magic for BtS?

Unread post by thorr-kan »

Magic, magic, magic:
BTS1 spells
Nightbane spells
Mystic China spells
Heroes Unlimited spells? Maybe.
Palladium Fantasy spells? Maybe. So. Much. Lore...
I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
-The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/ ... challenge/
Captain_Nibbz
Adventurer

Unread post by Captain_Nibbz »

thorr-kan wrote:Magic, magic, magic:
BTS1 spells
Nightbane spells
Mystic China spells
Heroes Unlimited spells? Maybe.
Palladium Fantasy spells? Maybe. So. Much. Lore...

I've seen a lot of suggestions floating around about using these other magic systems. What sets them all apart from each other? Is it just the selection of spells? Or do they all function differently mechanically? The one that I've seen suggested the most is the spells from Nightbane. Is there a particular reason that this seems to fit the best?

Just curious :D

Thanks in advance,
Captain_Nibbz
A good friend will help you hide a body. A best friend will lend you the P.P.E. you need to resurrect the body as a loyal zombie servant.

"If I kept a list of all time worst Sound Off threads, this would be way up there." - Mack
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

they mostly don't use different systems to my knowledge. primarily, they add more spells to the list. i know nightbane in particular does have a few add-ons though (allowing a given spellcaster to have limitations and sorcerours proficiencies, for example).

nightbane is probably best suited mainly because the themes of the setting are more closely related to BtS than many of the other settings, with magic being something that is not entirely known or controlled. you'll particularly want to look at the book "through the glass darkly" for that. "between the shadows" also has some useful material for the astral plane and dreamscapes that may prove useful as well.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Chaos Earth is another good source for "not quite well controlled or understood forces"

Another useful tack is to take the "weak" and "wild" spell rules from Mysteries of Magic and apply them to the regular spells. This allows spells to be a bit more of a gamble and less of a formulaic science. It also explains why everyone isn't using magic... after all if spells don't always work right...
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

gaby wrote:Any ideas for Psionic powers and Magic spells for BtS?

Ignore the second edition and use the original version.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

Nightbane is many people's default because it has quite a few parallels with BtS. To start they are both modern SDC settings, which eliminates many problems. Plus they have some possible baddies in common. HU can work as well, but NB has more built in options for magic.

NB is more powerful, or at least higher power levels are more common.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”