Psi-Mechanic VS Techno-Wizard

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Sohisohi
Explorer

Psi-Mechanic VS Techno-Wizard

Unread post by Sohisohi »

So it's my understanding that the TW is objectively better than the PM, overall. But, I also know that several books and rifters re-vamped the TW. As such, is there anything I'm missing or a specific area in which the PM outshines the TW.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Re: Psi-Mechanic VS Techno-Wizard

Unread post by Shark_Force »

not exactly a psi-mechanic, but there is a class in south america 2 that can do a few really interesting things with combining psionics and technology.

it looks like they were envisioned as being able to do far more than they can (with a few exceptions, iirc they're limited to creating devices that allow the user to duplicate regular psychic powers), but they never got developed any further to my knowledge.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Sohisohi wrote:So it's my understanding that the TW is objectively better than the PM, overall. But, I also know that several books and rifters re-vamped the TW. As such, is there anything I'm missing or a specific area in which the PM outshines the TW.

Psi-Mechanics can make devices that use psionics. Techno-Wizards not so much.
So it depends on what you want to make, but generally Techno-Wizards are superior, especially since the RUE rules that their creations' powers are really only limited by the GM, so a permissive GM could let a Techno-Wizard make devices that replicate psionic powers anyway.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I'd also note that a Technowizard can always learn a spell; any kind of psi-mechanic is likely to be limited to the powers they know.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

The various kinds of Psi-Mechanic (with the sole exception of the Amaki Gizzmoteers) are from game lines that don't have Techno-Wizards in them, and that have had few, if any, sourcebooks or supplements. As such it is hard to say just how much they would be improved if they were imported into Rifts directly.
That said, they are what they say on the tin. Wizards almost always have a flexibility advantage over psychics due to the way the system has evolved. As such it is pretty much a given that any particular psychic class will be less flexible than a similar magic using one.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”