Magic net and flying

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SpiritInterface
Hero

Magic net and flying

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

This has probably been asked before. But if a mage cast magic net on a person who had wingless flight could his victim keep flying and fly away?
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Re: Magic net and flying

Unread post by Mack »

I'd allow the flight to continue with a little modification. If the flyer is wrapped up in a net, I'd give a few penalties (penalty to dodge, can't quite fly straight, navigates poorly, etc.). Basically, he flies like a wounded duck.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Mack wrote:I'd allow the flight to continue with a little modification. If the flyer is wrapped up in a net, I'd give a few penalties (penalty to dodge, can't quite fly straight, navigates poorly, etc.). Basically, he flies like a wounded duck.

and, of course, can't use physical attacks etc.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Shark_Force wrote:
Mack wrote:I'd allow the flight to continue with a little modification. If the flyer is wrapped up in a net, I'd give a few penalties (penalty to dodge, can't quite fly straight, navigates poorly, etc.). Basically, he flies like a wounded duck.

Except a ramming attack.....but then is stuck to what was rammed into.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I would say that it makes it impossible to use a physical attack other than a ram style attack.

If your flight is winged flight or the like you will crash.

If your flight does NOT require physical movement to fly, then your just fine since the spell says nothing about obstructing vision, and if you don't need to move to fly then logically you can still fly.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:

What about an energy blast that comes from like the eyes? Can they still attack with that?
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

SpiritInterface wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:

What about an energy blast that comes from like the eyes? Can they still attack with that?

too lazy to check at the moment, but i'm pretty sure you can shoot the net from the outside and have zero chance of harming the people inside, it always hits the net. so, assuming my memory is correct, i'd say that pretty heavily implies no, because it suggests that the net only appears to have gaps in it, otherwise you could still shoot people inside the net.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

SpiritInterface wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:

That is not a physical attack, so is not covered by the comments talking about physical attacks.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

SpiritInterface wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:

The text says "Anyone caught in the net is helpless and unable to attack or defend." Rules as written, no attacks of any kind (physical or otherwise), because magic. Thus, no energy blasts from the eyes.

If that seems unreasonable, modify as makes sense to you. For example, assuming that one would be capable of flight, I'd also allow a ramming attack by a flyer, as that is just a function of flying into someone. However, I wouldn't rule that he is stuck to what was rammed into, because nothing in the magic net description indicates that it is adhesive in any way (that said, Magic Net of Adhesion sounds likes a great spell to make; a net that then captures people trying to free others from the net!).

Shark_Force wrote:too lazy to check at the moment, but i'm pretty sure you can shoot the net from the outside and have zero chance of harming the people inside, it always hits the net. so, assuming my memory is correct, i'd say that pretty heavily implies no, because it suggests that the net only appears to have gaps in it, otherwise you could still shoot people inside the net.
RUE forces you to make a called shot to hit people inside without harming the net itself, so you can indeed shoot people inside it. To be honest, this spell could use a good reworking, because as written all you know is that using weapons capable of harming the net it takes 2 rounds, unaffected by how much damage is inflicted per attack. So apparently, anything from a Vibroblade to the SDF-1's main canon takes two rounds to cut through it.

Regarding the main question of can you fly, I'd note that in RUE it says that one can turn to mist or teleport to escape it if one makes a successful save versus magic. From that, one could extrapolate a house rule that a victim could then fly by making a save versus magic as well.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

dreicunan wrote:The text says "Anyone caught in the net is helpless and unable to attack or defend." Rules as written, no attacks of any kind (physical or otherwise), because magic. Thus, no energy blasts from the eyes.

I find that to be an overly literal interpretation.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Mack wrote:
dreicunan wrote:The text says "Anyone caught in the net is helpless and unable to attack or defend." Rules as written, no attacks of any kind (physical or otherwise), because magic. Thus, no energy blasts from the eyes.

Well it's not his fault Palladium never takes these kinds of things into consideration.
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

The Beast wrote:
Mack wrote:

Well it's not his fault Palladium never takes these kinds of things into consideration.

Sure they do. That's why GM's are encouraged to use their own common sense. Otherwise each spell would need several pages of rule clarifications.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

Mack wrote:
The Beast wrote:
Mack wrote:

Sure they do. That's why GM's are encouraged to use their own common sense. Otherwise each spell would need several pages of rule clarifications.

Well, Mack, the spell doesn't indicate that the net has any kind of special property like a carpet of adhesion or some other specific mechanism that would merely impede those caught in it in a specific way. It just says that anyone caught in the net is helpless and unable to attack. To me, that means that the simplest explanation is that the spell works "because magic" and that when it says that those caught in it are unable to attack, it means that they are unable to attack. Is that a literal interpretation? Sure. I fail to see how it is an "overly" literal interpretation, however. Any other interpretation would require that "unable" somehow mean "able"! My common sense tells me that "unable" means "unable" and not its antonym. 8)

Now, I have no problem with people deciding that they are going to house rule that some attacks are possible for someone caught in the net. In fact, given the update to the spell in RUE, I'd say that it would be very reasonable to rule that if you want to try to attack or defend you need to save versus magic to do so.

Actually, strictly speaking the spell doesn't ever state that it immobilizes that target, does it. We've been talking about flying. What about running, walking, crawling, or squirming? I can see arguments both ways on those.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

The core concept of the Magic Net spell is that it create an effect that prevents the target from moving due to being caught in a magic web so they can't fight.
*cough*d7dwebspell*cough*

In other words, the spell prevents h2h combat.
Which does not include hero and psi powers from being used. Nor does it prevent magic-like powers from being used if they do not include macro-movements.
Whether the caught char can talk or not is up to individual GMs.

-------------------
Mack wrote:snip...
Otherwise each spell would need several pages of rule clarifications.

Maybe the spell section of the RUE would of been a page longer if some spells wording was corrected, but not several pages per spell.

Using the Magic Net spell only a few words would need to be modified.

"Anyone caught in the net is physically helpless, and unable to to make physical attacks or to make defensive moves,"

What I would like is that PB go back and !Fix! small wording problems like this., that crop up all over the place.
With magic in Rifts PB had a couple chances with the RBoM and RUE. :roll:
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

dreicunan wrote:
Mack wrote:
The Beast wrote:
Mack wrote:

Well, Mack, the spell doesn't indicate that the net has any kind of special property like a carpet of adhesion or some other specific mechanism that would merely impede those caught in it in a specific way. It just says that anyone caught in the net is helpless and unable to attack. To me, that means that the simplest explanation is that the spell works "because magic" and that when it says that those caught in it are unable to attack, it means that they are unable to attack. Is that a literal interpretation? Sure. I fail to see how it is an "overly" literal interpretation, however. Any other interpretation would require that "unable" somehow mean "able"! My common sense tells me that "unable" means "unable" and not its antonym. 8)

Now, I have no problem with people deciding that they are going to house rule that some attacks are possible for someone caught in the net. In fact, given the update to the spell in RUE, I'd say that it would be very reasonable to rule that if you want to try to attack or defend you need to save versus magic to do so.

Actually, strictly speaking the spell doesn't ever state that it immobilizes that target, does it. We've been talking about flying. What about running, walking, crawling, or squirming? I can see arguments both ways on those.

So a Magic Net prevents a Mind Melter from firing off a Mind Bolt? Nope, not buying that.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Mack wrote:
dreicunan wrote:
Mack wrote:
The Beast wrote:Well it's not his fault Palladium never takes these kinds of things into consideration.

So a Magic Net prevents a Mind Melter from firing off a Mind Bolt? Nope, not buying that.

RAW Yes it does
RAI No, I'm pretty sure it doesn't
The issue of course is that like most things in Palladium the descriptions are all in black and white absolutes. The RAW is set up with lots of "All, any, none, etc" and few "Most" let alone specifics... such as "Any action that requires moving the body"
After all... as written Magic Net doesn't technically stop you from moving, or juggling, or dancing, or casting spells (as long as they are not offensive or defensive). As others have said. The spell, as written, is not really viable and doesn't really do what it was intended to do. Thus it needs to be subjected to a Rule Zero Review to be really useable.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Hey, speaking of clearing things up, Mack do you know when the last time any of the erratas in the Cutting Room Floor were updated?

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”