What spell cures cancer?

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Does Restoration cure terminal illnesses like cancer?

Yes
65%
No
35%

Total votes: 17

Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

What spell cures cancer?

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

Cure Illness only cure minor type illnesses and excludes diseases like cancer. Restoration actually only mentions damage type injuries and an etc. which could include things like cancer. Is there a spell I missed or is Restoration it for terminal illnesses like cancer?
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Re: What spell cures cancer?

Unread post by Mack »

GM's call... but I'd allow Restoration to do it. Maybe make it a simple ritual.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

I think there's a Lemurian Biomancy spell which would do that.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Mack wrote:GM's call... but I'd allow Restoration to do it. Maybe make it a simple ritual.

I agree with Mack on this.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Reconstructive Restoration in Through The Glass Darkly for the Nightbane setting will cure EVERYTHING, even all the harm caused by being a Juicer.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
VIsgar
Explorer
Comment: Reflux adept.

Unread post by VIsgar »

I would say yes.
Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

Depends on the stage of cancer - GM call.

Best spell would be Restauration or Resurrection (if the cause of death was cancer).
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mouser13 »

Nightmask wrote:Reconstructive Restoration in Through The Glass Darkly for the Nightbane setting will cure EVERYTHING, even all the harm caused by being a Juicer.

Reconstructive Restoration in says cures any disease then list cancer as one of them. So anything that cures disease is up to cure cancer.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

EDIT: moved things about so it will be clearer who I was responding to.

Nightmask wrote:Reconstructive Restoration in Through The Glass Darkly for the Nightbane setting will cure EVERYTHING, even all the harm caused by being a Juicer.

And the wear and tare on the body caused be old age, abuse, trauma and "Accelerated Living" are not typically considered diseases. Thou, they could be considered ills I guess.

"...will cure EVERYTHING, even all the harm caused by being a Juicer."
These are conclusions made from reading the text that are not in the text.

Mouser13 wrote:Reconstructive Restoration in says cures any disease then list cancer as one of them. So anything that cures disease is up to cure cancer.

what is specificly listed as covered in the text:
genetic disorders
cancer
insanities
illnesses
diseases
magic spells

what is listed that it does not affect:
cannot improve the body or mind:
-cannot add to physical or mental stats
-cannot add psionics
-canon not change alinement

--------
The big However that is not being mentioned is that you would need a Flesh Sculpture Mage with the spell for it to be available for use. This is because it is a Specialty magic limited to the Flesh Sculpture class.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mouser13 »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Mouser13 wrote:

Reconstructive Restoration in says cures any disease then list cancer as one of them. So anything that cures disease is up to cure cancer.

And the wear and tare on the body caused be old age, abuse, trauma and "Accelerated Living" are not typically considered diseases. Thou, they could be considered ills I guess.

what is listed in the text:
genetic disorders
cancer
insanities
illnesses
diseases
magic spells

-cannot add psionics

The big However that is not being mentioned is that you would need a Flesh Sculpture Mage with the spell for it to be available for use. This is because it is a Specialty magic limited to the Flesh Sculpture class.

I guess I have a different version of the spell or you miss this line bellow.

This allows the caster to permanently cure any disease (cancer, MS, Aids, Parkinson's Disease, etc.)

Mine doesn't say anything about curing juicer. I looked I have second printing it says.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Mouser13 wrote:

Not necessarily. it just means that in this case it lumps cancer in with disease. That does not mean that it is considered a disease for the purposes of any anything else. The best example being that the spell Cure Disease is pretty clear that it won't cure cancer...
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Mouser13 wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

Mouser13 wrote:Reconstructive Restoration in says cures any disease then list cancer as one of them. So anything that cures disease is up to cure cancer.

what is specificly listed as covered in the text:
genetic disorders
cancer
insanities
illnesses
diseases
magic spells

-cannot add psionics

--------

I guess I have a different version of the spell or you miss this line bellow.

This allows the caster to permanently cure any disease (cancer, MS, Aids, Parkinson's Disease, etc.)

Mine doesn't say anything about curing juicer. I looked I have second printing it says.

Edited things to try to make clear who I was responding to with my last post.
I was replying to both NM and making specific list about what the FS spell does cure based on the examples given in the spell text and restating what it says it does not do.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

I find it hard to accept something so multifaceted as able to cure every disease / genetic disorder would not also repair all aging damage.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Axelmania wrote:I find it hard to accept something so multifaceted as able to cure every disease / genetic disorder would not also repair all aging damage.

I find accepting what canon says easy. The bad part about it is when others bad mouth me about stating what canon says, while insisting their opinions, that are not based on all the canon text, as they were written, are correct.

In the PB canon there is but one spell that can reduce the the aging of the body. And it is not in the Rifts' setting canon. And it is not even a common magic invocation.
Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Jack Burton »

Axelmania wrote:I find it hard to accept something so multifaceted as able to cure every disease / genetic disorder would not also repair all aging damage.

I can understand it. Diseases and disorders aren't supposed to naturally occur in your body. Aging does naturally occur.
Axelmania
Knight

Disease and disorder are both natural things as well.
Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Jack Burton »

Axelmania wrote:Disease and disorder are both natural things as well.

That is true, but a healthy body can usually fend off an ailment. Nobody's escaping Father Time, though. :cry:
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

You know, a Rifter article on magical healing wouldn't be a bad idea, if someone wanted to write one.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Axelmania
Knight

Jack Burton wrote:That is true, but a healthy body can usually fend off an ailment. Nobody's escaping Father Time, though. :cry:

I think that depends on the ailment, and... we can try!
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Maybe thers a lost Healing and Health,s Magic,that effect ther own and other bodies.
It,s spells can be,Magic version of psi healer powers plus the following the character is physically altered,with fat becoming lead muscles,bones strengthening and or healing,hair filling out,physical imparments,such as poor vision and poor hearing corrected, and disease,even a terminal one,eliminated (at least for the time being:may return in 20 to 30 years.)

Top level spells can be like the Supersoldier,s Physical transformation in H.U.the other can be transformation someone sex,erhnic group and age but would requires human sacrifice,what you want to be.

I hope after Palladium books do LoD,s 3,they will do some more Mysteies of Magic,s books.
One being Lost Magic.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Even if it can't heal cancer, it can heal the damage done to cut the cancer out. Sooooo... in a round-about way it can play a part in curing cancer.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

Topic Locked for necromancy. Over 2 years between posts.
Oderint Dum Metuant.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”