Permanence Ward + Time Loop or Cancelling

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

Permanence Ward + Time Loop or Cancelling

Unread post by Axelmania »

This spell from Transdimensional TMNT only lasts a few melee rounds and lets you remember whatever you did and then resets you back with those memories regardless of what happened, even if you died.

Imagining this spell made much longer is kind of sinister... you could live an entire lifetime and die of old age, and if the spell duration was long enough, it could just reset you back to when you cast the spell and you live that time all over again.

The story arcs of one anime I won't mention due to spoilers are kind of like this...

But then, if you're finally happy with one outcome and didn't want to loop back, could you just cancel the spell so that you continue with that outcome without looping? Or would you have to loop back no matter what and then just try to duplicate the actions that gave you the desired outcome?

That kind of sucks with stuff like skill rolls though since those would be random every time, so if you say, managed to pass your seduction roll on loop 2, you might fail it the next time when not protected by a loop.

I'm also not sure how a permanence-warded spell would work. This is something I'd resort to since there's no PPE cost to base TTGD duration alterations on.

Since the spell targets the self (only the Time Lord remembers what happened) I figure you'd need to have the ward sewn on your own body. But you would actually want the spell to end so that it could reset you, or if you died, you'd just stay dead.

Death would be one way to end the loop though, I think, because I think to end it, you'd need to remove the permanence ward from your body. This can be very damaging (particularly if you run a loop more than a year) but damage is irrelevant since it resets you.

I'm not sure what would happen if you died without removing the ward though. Would the ward stay affixed to your corpse and keep the loop running?

Eventually I figure the spell would end when your corpse disintegrated enough that there was no flesh left for the ward to attach to... even if you were frozen in a block of ice so you didn't rot, eventually if the sun swallowed the planet billions of years later then it should destroy the corpse, right?

The real danger would be if someone froze your corpse and sent it into space and your corpse survived forever...

Although I'm not sure if the spell could continue past death. As a 'self' spell, doesn't your 'self' leave the body a a spirit until death?

The permanence ward would just be attached to a corpse, so it would be disconnected from its target and thus not work anymore. It would have to be attached to the spirit to continue the loop.

The only trouble I guess would be if your soul was locked into your body after death... I can't remember if there's a way to do that. I think it could mean if you were an Inca Mummy or a necromancer-style master vampire or a Death Demon...

Actually no it couldn't continue since then you would become a supernatural being, so the permanence ward would cease functioning to extend your self spell and the loop would end... so the loop could only be maintained so long as you remained non-supernatural and alive in your own body.

Something like Astral Projection might actually interfere with this too since then the 'self' the spell targets would be separated from the permanence-warded body. It might still work if the cord connected you but I think the severing of the cord would also sever the spell.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”