Tattoos, atlanteans, and the Enlightened Immortal

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Abadon Spectre
D-Bee

Tattoos, atlanteans, and the Enlightened Immortal

Unread post by Abadon Spectre »

I have a few questions regarding the Enlightened Immortal (EI) and atlanteans and atlantean tattoos...

If an EI gets tattoos before they become enlightened do the tattoos still function after their enlightment and can they get more?

What would you say happens to the tattoos of an EI who changes their genetics (7th refinement rifter #3) so that they are no longer an eligible race?

Would a tattooed EI still gain the ability to use magic (chi and spell)?

Would a genetic change negate the atlanteans ley line abilities?

Would the EI's ability to change shape (6th refinement) supercede the atlanteans immunity to metamorphosis?
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Tattoos, atlanteans, and the Enlightened Immortal

Unread post by Bill »

There is no precedent that I am aware of for removing or eliminating the True Atlanteans immunity to transformation. That will prohibit a TA-EI from shape shifting, changing their race, elemental composition, or altering their body with additional limbs or organs. Arguably, it might even prevent them from changing their pigmentation. I can't see any reason why the tattoos would cease to function after enlightenment, though their other powers might make many of them redundant.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

None of the questions you asked are answered within canon…..except the one about TA's LL abilities. Changing their genetics is a physical change and can't be done.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Abadon Spectre wrote:I have a few questions regarding the Enlightened Immortal (EI) and atlanteans and atlantean tattoos...

My personal views here but...

Abadon Spectre wrote:If an EI gets tattoos before they become enlightened do the tattoos still function after their enlightment
and can they get more?

For both of these I would say that EI isn't a race, and that you keep your old magic abilities... thus you should logically keep your tattoos and be able to get new ones.

Abadon Spectre wrote:What would you say happens to the tattoos of an EI who changes their genetics (7th refinement rifter #3) so that they are no longer an eligible race?

As this is a non-canon ability that was created by a fan if a GM chooses to implement it they will have to decide on how it works.
My personal view is that it would turn all your tattoos into non-magical ones (just like what happens if the tattoo process is applied to a non-eligible person) AND that turning back into an eligible race will not reactivate them, they were destroyed and will have to be recreated.

Abadon Spectre wrote:Would a tattooed EI still gain the ability to use magic (chi and spell)?

As long as they have six or less tattoos they could. If they have more than six tattoos then they have had their magic ability stripped by the tattoos and they will have to remove the tattoos if they wish to use any other magic.

Abadon Spectre wrote:Would a genetic change negate the atlanteans ley line abilities?

Atlanteans are immune to change by any means, thus by the rules this can not occur.

Abadon Spectre wrote:Would the EI's ability to change shape (6th refinement) supercede the atlanteans immunity to metamorphosis?

No, again Atlanteans are immune to change and there is no exemption for EIs, nor does the EI power make any statement that it superceeds any normal exemptions.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Reincarnation is not a transformation. The physical body is dusted and the soul inhabits a new body. If their race made it impossible for their mind to inhabit a new body then a True Atlantean Mind Melter could not use 'Mentally Possess Others'.

Being reborn as a different race would mean the loss of their old natural abilities though. They would reroll by their new race, not as an Atlantean.

Whether or not Magic Tatoos reincarnate with you is a broader question than this race, it is also one extended to humans/elves/ogres/chaing-ku who are not immune to metamorphosis, and so worth asking.

This also brings up an interesting question for Necromancers which we might not consider since if True Atlanteans could become Necromancers they probably couldn't use the 'merge with dead' power on themself (though I think they could still use it on others at higher levels).

If say, a necromancer with a tattoo on his hand, got that arm lopped off, and then attached some gorilla arm, would his missing tat re-appear on that new arm?

If soul-boundedness is the approach I would say yes and then same for reincarnation.

Even if it's soul-bound though I get the sense there is some kind of physical bond too so I'm not convinced this would happen in either case. This may be a good way to get rid of tattoos while still having a working limb, by having a necromancer or a fleshsculptor to sub you a new one and toss out the old one interfering with your magic.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”