Dimensional/Temporal Magic

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

VIsgar
Explorer
Comment: Reflux adept.

Dimensional/Temporal Magic

Unread post by VIsgar »

In Dragons & Gods adult dragons get Temporal spells naturally. Later in England Temporal classes were born and got many of the same spells.

I plan on playing a Chiang-Ku hatchling Temporal Wizard and saw that the Dragon version of Dimensional Envelope was 5 times larger (50x50x30).

Would it be acceptable to make the larger version as a hatchling since I have the spell but am never going to be an adult?

How big can the entry point of a DE be?

Rifts Black Market pg 41 says people can ride or be smuggled in Dimensional Envelopes but that is uncomfortable, disorienting and a frightening experience.

Can it be cast in a vehicle so that it is only accessed from there wherever the vehicle is? What if the vehicle is destroyed?

Does DE act as a larger Dimensional Pocket that needs to be grounded to something like the trunk of a car/doorway? If not how can I smuggle people?

If dragon sized DE was allowed and you do not need to ground them to anything would it be possible to make an DE enter it and then later make another one inside it? Not to make it 100x50x30 but to make it layered similar to Dyval but 50x50x30 each layer.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Dimensional/Temporal Magic

Unread post by Bill »

WB3:England was published in '93 and Dragons & Gods was '97. If your GM approves, you can use the more powerful adult dragon version of the spell. I wouldn't.

Dimensional Envelope doesn't specify how large the opening is. I'd probably hand wave it and say you can move anything that will fit in the envelope into or out of it. What do you need to know for?

Dimensional Envelope is intended to be used as a hidden cache, so the caster can leave things concealed in a place for decades or even centuries. Like clothes, weapons, local currency, etc. It's not really intended to be mobile. That's what D-Pockets is for; the description of which even states they are distinct from envelopes in that they are portable. I think the mention of portable envelopes in Black Market is a case of too many cooks; again it's up to your GM if you can anchor the envelope into a vehicle or other moving space.

Making dimensional anomalies inside of dimensional anomalies seems like a bad and dangerous idea. It is not specifically discussed or forbidden though. So, once more, it's up to your GM as to whether you can make a multi-room extra-dimensional space or not. I'd give you a small chance of tearing a hole in space-time and randomly rifting yourself and the contents of your envelopes to multiple unknown dimensions.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Dimensional Envelope says it is the size of a walk in closet.

Ask you GM if you can have the Adult version of it. People here can only say what they would do.

As big as the physical opening/doorway it is cast on.

The spell does not say that the what it is attached to can't be moved.

Both the DP and DE have to be attached to a physical portal of some sort. For the DE it needs to be big enough for someone to enter through it.

layered: It depends on what your GM will allow.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
VIsgar
Explorer

Unread post by VIsgar »

My group wanted to run a Three Galaxies story this time around and each of the players aspires to get their own ship. I thought with D-Envelope I could act like a Freighter but tiny and fast as a Fighter class ship.

Then I saw the larger version of DE in Dragons and Gods and thought that is big enough to fit a fighter into. Maybe one of the other PCs lets me make a DE on their ship and put my Fighter in there so if we do get in trouble or a ship battle we have a ace up our sleeve.

I was also planning on making a D-Envelope into the locker in a space fighter so he could walk around and such instead of only really in the pilots seat.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

The version innate to adult dragons is classified as a Spell of Legend. Which means that in theory temporal wizards and the like could learn it, or any mage really, but good luck convincing a dragon to teach you. or even telling you it exists.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Still easier than getting a Chaing-Ku to teach you how to make the Elixir of Power and Deceit.

Might be on par with trying to get a High Lord to teach you to make magic tattoos.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:As big as the physical opening/doorway it is cast on.

I'm curious about this statement. Do you assume that Dimensional Envelope must be cast on a doorway or "physical opening"?

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

flatline wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:As big as the physical opening/doorway it is cast on.

I'm curious about this statement. Do you assume that Dimensional Envelope must be cast on a doorway or "physical opening"?

--flatline

Has reread the spell and understand your curiosity. Yes, I misspoke.

It, the D-E spell effect, has to be cast in relationship with an object. Be it a chest, a vehicle or a planet. Because of the relationship it moves with the object it is linked to. This is because it is was not linked to that object in some way the envelope would be lost as it would stay where it was made as the planet or vehicle moved.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
VIsgar
Explorer

Unread post by VIsgar »

Time Warp: Time & Space - Can it be used to just send items (a potion) into the future and to a different location?

Sense Time DB13 - If a Temporal Wizard had the Sense Time psionic instead of this spell would the bonus of the spell (+3 vs T-Dep) apply to the psionic?

Double Paradox - If my double went into a store, stole a laser pistol and then put it into a D-Pocket what happens to the pistol when I dispel the double?

DB 13 has a lot of references to going back in time, but I thought that was impossible. It also talks about a Temporal Nexus where can I find info pertaining to that?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

VIsgar wrote:Time Warp: Time & Space - Can it be used to just send items (a potion) into the future and to a different location?

The spell has the answer itself: self only until sixth level, when they can do two people or up to 1000 pounds of objects. Which means an object by itself, like a potion, is possible, but only at sixth level and higher.

Sense Time DB13 - If a Temporal Wizard had the Sense Time psionic instead of this spell would the bonus of the spell (+3 vs T-Dep) apply to the psionic?

No. they are not identical powers. also the psionic is less precice--the psionic is only accurate within 1d4 seconds, the spell is absolute--it's that flawless quality that gives the bonus.

Double Paradox - If my double went into a store, stole a laser pistol and then put it into a D-Pocket what happens to the pistol when I dispel the double?

The gear is duplicated on both ends, as are all injuries and magical effects. It's littearlly a paradox. thus, what happens is only the one holding the pistol has it in his dimensional envelope--but when the spell ends and they Merge, it's still in the dimensinonal pocket. but not until then.

DB 13 has a lot of references to going back in time, but I thought that was impossible. It also talks about a Temporal Nexus where can I find info pertaining to that?

Transdimensional TMNT is the only canon publication with information on such things as backwards time travel and temporal nexii, although sinse the TMNT licence lasped long ago the status of it's canonicity is questionable: it's certainly never going to come back into print unless palladium somehow re-aquires the licence, and they have passed several opportunities to print the rules in later books. your best bet is hitting up E-bay and wait until one comes available again.
Last edited by Nekira Sudacne on Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

I thought Dimension Book 7 or one of the laster Phase Workd books (DB 5 or 6) talked about temporal nexuses. It's either Nightbane Between the Shadows or Shadows of Light that talks about using the Void in the Astral Plane to time travel. So there are canon instances outside of Transdimensional TMNT but they are few and there's very little player control involved.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Glistam wrote:I thought Dimension Book 7 or one of the laster Phase Workd books (DB 5 or 6) talked about temporal nexuses. It's either Nightbane Between the Shadows or Shadows of Light that talks about using the Void in the Astral Plane to time travel. So there are canon instances outside of Transdimensional TMNT but they are few and there's very little player control involved.

There are also some time portals in a few books (Balagor Wastelands and Dinosaur swamps I believe), plus in Megaverse in Flames we find out that some of the demons went back in time, and there other such things...
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”