Questions about Psionics

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

VIsgar
Explorer
Comment: Reflux adept.

Questions about Psionics

Unread post by VIsgar »

TK Leap does 6d6+6+possible PS bonus damage. If a creature with Supernatural Strength uses it does it do MD? Would you take 2d6 MD from using the attack?

Would you allow psionics from Heroes Unlimited or Nightbane in the Rifts setting?

PU:1 has Wound Transfer for 12 ISP. If you are a MD critter and you transfer half of the damage taken by an SD critter would it be point for point or 1:100 ratio?
If you activate the ability again after the first time could you end up taking all of their damage (max 50% each time)?

Also in PU:1 is Mimic Skills available as a lesser psionic. The limitation says Non-combat skills only. Other than WPs, boxing, kick boxing, and sniper what skills are considered combat?

How much would the Suppress Fear healing psionic affect a phobia?

One friend in our last game was a Psi-Tech space bug (Danaus I'm pretty sure) who was Outraged by Acts of Violence. Would the Calm Rage (PU:1) psionic work on his Affective Disorder insanity?
Would it work through armor being touch based?

Crystal Bolt Pistol from DB:2 has a 100 ISP reservoir. Can the ISP be taken out like a battery?
Are there any ISP batteries?

Can a Gizmoteer channel their psionics like a Techno-Wizard through items or does each power require a gizmo?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Questions about Psionics

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

TK Leap: SD only for SDC beings. For MDC beings I might add a +1d6 MD to a Leap Attack damage depending on the APS/SNPS of the being.

Yes.

Non-muscle memory skills only, is how I would rule that psi power (it is both sensitive and super)

It would let the char function like a person w/o that phobia for the duration.

As per the canon psi power it only works on others. Touch usually means skin to skin contact.

The ISP stored in the psionic items in PW is inaccessible to psions. The only one I can think of in canon is in the PF2 Western Emp.. book <something> circlet. found in the magic item section.

Gizmoteers make solely tech items.(N&S)
The Amaki Stone-men (psi) Gizmoteer Racial Char. Class, has to use a Psionic TW device to use Most of their powers. 1st sentence of the psionic powers section.

---
In the psi-tech creation rules I wrote along with a psi-tech device builder char template (Power Cat./PCC) and submitted to PB, there are rules about making psionic batteries.
..These got written because of the ones in the RSA2 book are horrible and that the CC they are associated with is racially restricted to the Amaki Stone-men race.
(note: that the Amaki Stone-men (Psi) Gizmoteer RCC is a RCC is disputed. Some think that it is a PCC, available to all psionicly capable races. Even thou they would not call it a PCC.)
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

VIsgar wrote:TK Leap does 6d6+6+possible PS bonus damage. If a creature with Supernatural Strength uses it does it do MD? Would you take 2d6 MD from using the attack?

No, it's a power that does S.D.C. damage for the attack. A creature with Supernatural Strength could use the power's damage or their M.D. damage.

VIsgar wrote:Would you allow psionics from Heroes Unlimited or Nightbane in the Rifts setting?

I would, but ultimately each G.M. needs to decide that for their own games.

VIsgar wrote:PU:1 has Wound Transfer for 12 ISP. If you are a MD critter and you transfer half of the damage taken by an SD critter would it be point for point or 1:100 ratio?

In such an instance I would equate 1 S.D.C./H.P. to 1 M.D.C. for this purpose.

VIsgar wrote:If you activate the ability again after the first time could you end up taking all of their damage (max 50% each time)?

I would need to look at the details of the power again, but my gut says yes, if the character has the S.D.C./H.P. or M.D.C. to spare.

VIsgar wrote:Also in PU:1 is Mimic Skills available as a lesser psionic. The limitation says Non-combat skills only. Other than WPs, boxing, kick boxing, and sniper what skills are considered combat?

Hand to Hand Combat skills.

VIsgar wrote:How much would the Suppress Fear healing psionic affect a phobia?

I don't see why the power wouldn't suppress a phobia entirely for its duration.

VIsgar wrote:One friend in our last game was a Psi-Tech space bug (Danaus I'm pretty sure) who was Outraged by Acts of Violence. Would the Calm Rage (PU:1) psionic work on his Affective Disorder insanity?

It's not what the power was designed for, but seems like it should work to me based on how I remember the power.

VIsgar wrote:Would it work through armor being touch based?

No.

VIsgar wrote:Crystal Bolt Pistol from DB:2 has a 100 ISP reservoir. Can the ISP be taken out like a battery?

I can't answer this, as I'm not familiar enough with that item.

VIsgar wrote:Are there any ISP batteries?

The only one I'm familiar with comes from Palladium Fantasy's Western Empire book. It's a circlet one wears which provides a pool of 100 I.S.P. they can pull from, and they recharge it by pumping I.S.P. back into it.

VIsgar wrote:Can a Gizmoteer channel their psionics like a Techno-Wizard through items or does each power require a gizmo?

I'm not familiar enough with Gizmoteers to answer that.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

VIsgar wrote:1. TK Leap does 6d6+6+possible PS bonus damage. If a creature with Supernatural Strength uses it does it do MD? Would you take 2d6 MD from using the attack?

2. Would you allow psionics from Heroes Unlimited or Nightbane in the Rifts setting?

3. PU:1 has Wound Transfer for 12 ISP. If you are a MD critter and you transfer half of the damage taken by an SD critter would it be point for point or 1:100 ratio?
If you activate the ability again after the first time could you end up taking all of their damage (max 50% each time)?

4. Also in PU:1 is Mimic Skills available as a lesser psionic. The limitation says Non-combat skills only. Other than WPs, boxing, kick boxing, and sniper what skills are considered combat?

5. How much would the Suppress Fear healing psionic affect a phobia?

6. One friend in our last game was a Psi-Tech space bug (Danaus I'm pretty sure) who was Outraged by Acts of Violence. Would the Calm Rage (PU:1) psionic work on his Affective Disorder insanity?
Would it work through armor being touch based?

7. Crystal Bolt Pistol from DB:2 has a 100 ISP reservoir. Can the ISP be taken out like a battery?

8. Can a Gizmoteer channel their psionics like a Techno-Wizard through items or does each power require a gizmo?

1. Yes it would be MD damage plus their SNPS punch damage. Yes if they failed the save they would take 2d6MD. This is how I run it though it would be up to specific GM's to make their own call on it.

2. Yes I tend to allow Psionics from HU2 and NB into a rifts game. Big fan of Astral Transference. and the assoiciated Astral Psionics.

3. Note: I do not have any of the PU books but I would call it based on what you list as a point for point transfer of Wounds.

4. Unable to answer due to not possessing the book in question

5. I would rule that it would completely supress the Phobia's effect on the person with said phobia, they would realize that they should be panicking/freaking the hell out but he would be fine until the power expires

6. Without having the book I can only hazard a guess that it should calm him though I do not know for certain and I can't answer about the armor question without reading the power.

7. No, the crystal capacitor that holds the ISP is not a battery that a psionic can draw off of to fuel their own powers it is specifically for the pistol only. B. I think same DB2 has a helmet that acts as a battery/enhancer. Other than that I know of very few places that have ISP batteries. Read: without going through my book thoroughly I can't think of any atm.

8. Not sure as I know of the Gizmoteer (SA2) but do not have easy access to that book atm. IIRC I think they have to build a device for each power.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Vlsgar wrote:Crystal Bolt Pistol from DB:2 has a 100 ISP reservoir. Can the ISP be taken out like a battery?

I do not think so, at least not unless you have an ability/power to siphon off ISP.

ISP "batteries" exist in potion form, but not like a PPE battery. Potion form (requiring you to drink it) you have: Psi-Cola (Psycape), some drinks in Manoa (SA1 IIRC), drink in PF2E (pg267), Triax (WB5) has designer drugs (no ISP boost, but power boost). Might be more, but I can't think of any off hand.

You might want to look up examples of "psi-tech" in WB3 and PF Island at the Edge of the World (Crystal technoloy) in addition to what others have mentioned might also have something to help here (I don't know the books well enough, I know psi-devices are in them).

VLsgar wrote:Can a Gizmoteer channel their psionics like a Techno-Wizard through items or does each power require a gizmo?

No they can't channel a psi-power temporarily like a TW into a device by RAW, but as a house rule it would be possible.

Not all of their powers require a device to use, only the ones they can select require first building a device, the fixed powers all know at start (mind block, speed reading, total recall, electrokinesis, telemechanics) can be used without a device IMHO.

drewkitty wrote:(note: that the Amaki Stone-men (Psi) Gizmoteer RCC is a RCC is disputed. Some think that it is a PCC, available to all psionicly capable races. Even thou they would not call it a PCC.)

Well the Duelist CC is also an RCC, but is specifically called out as being available to "trusted humans" and theoretically any "psi-oriented race". So Amaki RCCs might be mislabelled. And we know that there are Psionic-TW classes out there (Vernulians in WB1, Psycape) that are ill defined, so treating the Gizmoteer as a PCC/OCC makes the most sense at this point in time IMHO since there is nothing about the writeup that limits it to Amaki.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

ShadowLogan wrote:snip...
drewkitty wrote:(note: that the Amaki Stone-men (Psi) Gizmoteer RCC is a RCC is disputed. Some think that it is a PCC, available to all psionicly capable races. Even thou they would not call it a PCC.)

Well the Duelist CC is also an RCC, but is specifically called out as being available to "trusted humans" and theoretically any "psi-oriented race". So Amaki RCCs might be mislabelled. And we know that there are Psionic-TW classes out there (Vernulians in WB1, Psycape) that are ill defined, so treating the Gizmoteer as a PCC/OCC makes the most sense at this point in time IMHO since there is nothing about the writeup that limits it to Amaki.

Yep, that text has been been pointed out before and does not effect that the AS (Psi)G is a RCC that only AS can take. All that text is saying that 'Yes, there is a RCC with family based restrictions with the same name and powers.' without using so many words.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
VIsgar
Explorer
Comment: Reflux adept.

Unread post by VIsgar »

I don't have Island at the Edge of the World (yet) but Crystal Technology from Palladium based around Psi-devices sounds amazing and I am going to order it.

Thank you for all the extra sources of ISP my Gizmoteer player is going to be excited.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

VIsgar wrote:I don't have Island at the Edge of the World (yet) but Crystal Technology from Palladium based around Psi-devices sounds amazing and I am going to order it.

Thank you for all the extra sources of ISP my Gizmoteer player is going to be excited.

What is in the I@tEotW are Psi-Tech items made out of crystals and precuse metal wires. And are they are somewhat analagus to magic items. Like with most Psi-Tech items they are directly powered by the psion, w/o ISP storage.

Technology is something anyone, even a mystic Null, can do/use.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Amaki Gizmoteer just means the Amaki invented the character class not that only Amaki can study it, much like the "Noro Psychic" or "Amaki Duelist". I don't think a Gypsy Witch necessarily has to be of gypsy ethnicity either.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Axelmania wrote:snip..., much like the "Noro Psychic" …snip

You got this much right.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Still waiting on an 'only Amaki RCCs can select the Gizmoteer class' statement.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Axelmania wrote:Still waiting on an 'only Amaki RCCs can select the Gizmoteer class' statement.

The argument is based on the question of what exactly psychic RCCs were back when this book was written
in the days of RMB RCC covered BOTH racial classes... and Psychics (because reasons)
Thus the question becomes... is Gizmoteer an RCC because it is an Amaki class, or is it an RCC because it is a psychic class.
The answer is "Magic 8 ball says, answer hazy try again later" and has never been officially answered one way or another. The result is that it can (and has been) argued in circles.

The best answer that I can give you is "ask your GM what they allow".
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Axelmania wrote:Still waiting on an 'only Amaki RCCs can select the Gizmoteer class' statement.

Why so you can go off and argue a new tangent?

The building rules within the (psi) Gizmoteer class are broken and are not fit for for use by any player character.
I've Written better. But I doubt they will get published in the rifter anytime soon, cause no-one has contacted me about them in that, even thou they have been submitted to PB for rifter publication consideration.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”