Heal Wounds, does it work on MDC beings?

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RockJock
Knight

Heal Wounds, does it work on MDC beings?

Unread post by RockJock »

How do you deal with healing magics in your game? Many healing spells and powers(Heal Wounds spell, lessor healing magic tattoo) only list sdc healing numbers. Do you let them heal MDC at all? We have always allowed MDC healing in place of HP healing, so if the healing would heal 1d6 HP it could heal 1d6 MDC. How do you do it?
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
everloss
Explorer

Re: Heal Wounds, does it work on MDC beings?

Unread post by everloss »

We always did it the same way, too; HP healing = MDC healing. However, if SDC was listed, we ignored that for the conversion.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I tend to only allow MDC healed if it says MDC. This is because there are spells that explicitly say that they heal a certain amount of MDC, and a couple that say heals X SDC Y HP or Z MDC suggesting that MDC healing is harder than SDC healing (which makes sense). And frankly I don't have a problem with this, MDC beings are already pretty tough, I don't begrudge SDC beings the ability to be healed a bit easier.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
RockJock
Knight

I see your point Eliakon. I just looked at RUE and see Major Healing and Light Healing, plus Heal Wounds, so Major Healing is one option. When I wrote this I was thinking of the old Main Book with just Heal Wounds, so it didn't fit for me. My other problem with the "if it isn't listed, no MDC" is things like various psychic powers have no ability to work at all on an MDC being. You end up with classes like the Lanotaur Hunter with "Bio-Regeneration", but no possible benefit from the psychic power.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

I would say that externally derived healing must say it works on MDC beings to be applicable. That means if Bob uses a Healing Power on Bobbie, it heals what it is said to heal, nothing more (so if Bobbie is MDC and Bob is using an SDC only power, no go).

Now if it was an internal ability, like Bio-Regeneration. Yes I would say that it converts at 1:1, but it would also have to be an ability that makes no other sense for them to have otherwise (so particular applications might block it).
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

RockJock wrote:How do you deal with healing magics in your game? Many healing spells and powers(Heal Wounds spell, lessor healing magic tattoo) only list sdc healing numbers. Do you let them heal MDC at all? We have always allowed MDC healing in place of HP healing, so if the healing would heal 1d6 HP it could heal 1d6 MDC. How do you do it?

This is how we did it when RMB came out.

When they added spells later specifically stated to heal MDC, we ignored them rather than take the ability to heal MDC away from existing characters.

If I were to start a new group, I think I'd rewrite some or all of the healing spells (Restoration, for example, would not require the old limb to be able to regenerate a new limb).

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

RockJock wrote:How do you deal with healing magics in your game? Many healing spells and powers(Heal Wounds spell, lessor healing magic tattoo) only list SDC healing numbers. Do you let them heal MDC at all? We have always allowed MDC healing in place of HP healing, so if the healing would heal 1d6 HP it could heal 1d6 MDC. How do you do it?

The spells do what they say they do.

The bigger question is how do healing psionics interact with healing MDC beings and critters. I say this because they are all, far as I remember, rated in healing HP/SDC, and there is at least one Healer PCC in the canons and it is in a SDC setting book.
Yes, there is the Increase Healing power but that is not a "I use power and you are heal xDy HP/SDC" format.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
RockJock
Knight

ShadowLogan, I just can't buy giving a pass to Bio Regeneration, but not to magic healing.

I'll keep playing it like I have in the past with 1 SDC-1MDC, or 2SDC-1MDC, and chalk it up to the normal inconsistencies in the gameworld. Thanks for the input guys.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Mages have to learn the better spells, psychics are out of luck. I think Syvan have a unique version of the super-psi Bio-Regeneration which restores MDC for them. Priests get to heal MD, psychics should take up god-worship to expand their healing powers.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Axelmania wrote:Mages have to learn the better spells, psychics are out of luck. I think Syvan have a unique version of the super-psi Bio-Regeneration which restores MDC for them. Priests get to heal MD, psychics should take up god-worship to expand their healing powers.

Except for the fact that, if they are a PCC, they can't change their class. The published changing class rules disallow the option of changin class to or from a PCC.

:D Yup, There are those that disagree with using ALL of the published changing class rules together just because they are not all written down in the same place. And that setting other then the one said rules were published in don't label most of their PCCs as PCCs.
And No, I am not going to argue about using all the published changing class rules. :bandit:
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

RockJock wrote:How do you deal with healing magics in your game? Many healing spells and powers(Heal Wounds spell, lessor healing magic tattoo) only list sdc healing numbers. Do you let them heal MDC at all? We have always allowed MDC healing in place of HP healing, so if the healing would heal 1d6 HP it could heal 1d6 MDC. How do you do it?

RAW, unless it says it heals MDC, it doesn't heal MDC.

In practice, I'd probably allow it at HP rates.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
RockJock
Knight

Thanks Mark. My issue with the RaW is that like many things, there are too many examples that make zero sense to me. I am considering house ruling MDC healing taking additional PPE. This would encourage learning multiple healing spells, but still let the SDC version be of some use. Same goes for things like Increased Healing and Bio-Regeneration. I've been going through rule interpretations quite a bit recently, to see if my views should change.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Axelmania
Knight

Why even bring up PCCs Drew? It's not as if any exist with greater healing powers than what any minor/major has access to.

The only exceptions I can think of would be Iborians from Anvil Galaxy (Rifts Dimension 5) and Neo-Humans from South America 2 (Rifts World 9) both of which are races.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Drew's grinding an axe from another thread about PCCs.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

I'm not the one who brought it up here.

Yes, since someone else brought up that idea I had to point out the situation where that idea would not work.
Axelmania
Knight

When I said psychics should take up god worship, I meant anyone who was psychic, not a PCC.

The Psi-Healer PCC in PF is kind of a joke anyway, a major psychic could get the key powers, all they have going for them is their bonuses.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

This Topic is about ""healing powers"". Getting healing powers from they faith (via the the canon text) automatically means ether Being a Priest OCC or changing to the Priest OCC.

I was speaking directly 'On Topic", with pointing out when "A Psychic" could not get be the priest OCC via the canon text. The PCC exclusion would of got pointed out no matter what was going on in another topic.
---------------

Yes, a GM could house rule that a deity could just modify the char's CC and add on the Priest OCC power to that char, Or just the healing powers.
Axelmania
Knight

If they're one of the PCCs with a note barring them from getting OCCs then sure, I think the ones in Palladium Fantasy books do that. This is Megaversal of course, so I can't say the same of Nightbane and Mystic China which don't have notes like that for theirs.

If we're going to randomly point out a subset of psychics who can't be priests, I would also point out that a minor psychic who wants to become a priest can't do that if the god hates them and won't give them powers, so they are also out of luck.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

As covered in other topics, there are no published canon rules covering the changing of the class of a PCC other then the Text within all the PCCs in PF. So they are ether canonly forbidden by specific text or canonly excluded from changing their class by not being included by the changing class text in highseas.

If a pf god dislikes any char they are not going to give them powers, psychic or not.
Axelmania
Knight

PF talks about PCC also being short for 'psychic OCC' and a lot of PCCs are called OCCs in the same or other books, so in any case we can find an example of that, they would use OCC rules for changing.

The PCCs in Mystic China never get called OCCs, but Astral Lords and Dream Dancers in Between the Shadows do get called OCCs.

Which is ironic since half the PCCs in Mystic China are more mages than psychics.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”