Familars???? Which version do you use?

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RockJock
Knight

Familars???? Which version do you use?

Unread post by RockJock »

Ok, which version of the magical familiar do you use? Off the top of my head you have the Rifts version, Mysteries of Magic version(upgradable), Megaversal Builder version(mdc familiars etc), Nightbane version(upgradable), plus things like the Beastmaster, Lemurian, Demon Familiar, and so on which are similar, but not exactly familiars.

Familiar link scroll is another issue. Who can or can't use the scroll? I find it hard to buy that nobody but a mage has the mental/spiritual discipline when you have martial artists, psychics and so on out there.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Familars???? Which version do you use?

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The one from Through the Glass Darkly. Which the the ones in the MoM1 book are a variant of.

Anyone who can read it.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I use the spell for most familiars.

If a wizard wants to get fancy they can use the advanced "Spend PPE to build a familiar" rules (which ones will depend on what sort of game is being played. The Nightbane rules are, obviously more suited to that game than others and the options need to be looked at closely)

I don't allow scrolls of the familiar ritual as I don't allow scrolls of rituals, and it is clearly a ritual not a simple spell. The sole exception is that occasionally an Alchemist can make a special one shot device that can allow someone to cast Familiar Link. Occasionally, its very expensive and very rare (i.e. it is a plot device, not something that a PC with the scroll spell can just mass produce)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
RockJock
Knight

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I prefer the TtGD/MoM versions, unsurprisingly.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

I'm not aware that they are differnt. Nothing stops you from using TtGD and MoM modificatins on familiars gained from the spell or Megaverse builder or even demon familiars from the spell or witch pact. They are all mutually inclusive.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
RockJock
Knight

Thanks Mark, not a surprise at all:).

Nekira, I've had friends argue about which is the "right" familiar rules. SDC animals only, limited MDC animals, boosted with PPE or not, and so on. I was just curious how everyone handled it.
Last edited by RockJock on Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

RockJock wrote:Thanks Mark, not a surprise at all:).

Nekaira, I've had friends argue about which is the "right" familiar rules. SDC animals only, limited MDC animals, boosted with PPE or not, and so on. I was just curious how everyone handled it.

The Familiar Spell invocation can only net you SDC animals.

The Nightbane process can net you SDC or MDC animals, or even sentient beings, but only if their intelligence is less than average human--any being of human or greater average intelligence cannot bound with this process. Note this essentially means 3d6 intelligence or more: beautiful people, for all intents and purposes a race of minor supernatural humanoids, have an IQ of 2d6+4, while technically still averaging 10-11 IQ, are suitable familiars.

the Greater Familiar invocation can net you any lesser supernatural being or lesser demon as a familiar, with no restrictions on intelligence or attributes so long as they qualify as lesser beings.

The mysteries of magic section mentions upgrades to any familiar, but is mostly discussing those gained through the invocations.

Only Shifters are able to take "greater" supernatural beings and demons as familiars. the art is apparently a class-secret.

My point is that none of these are mutually exclusive. The ability to spend PPE to give a familiar traits found in mysteries of magic and nightbane are seperate from any rules of how to get familiars, because it dosn't matter. Once you gain a familiar, through whatever process, they can be enhanced, regardless of if they are MDC, SDC, supernatural, ect.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

I your opinion, can genetically modified animals be turned into Familiar? (talk about both formats please)

EDIT: Not talking about ATB, TMNT, HU Mutant Animals, and Lonestar MAs (dogboys, kill cats, etc..).
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Thu May 05, 2016 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:I your opinion, can genetically modified animals be turned into Familiar? (talk about both formats please)

the only defining limit appears to be intelligence and size via invocation, so as long as they don't get full human IQ, I don't see why not. Nightbane variety is IQ only but any number of powers will do.

If it becomes a mega hero, then only greater familiar will work.

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:I your opinion, can genetically modified animals be turned into Familiar? (talk about both formats please)

Sure, provided it falls under the restrictions of the spell or process. I would say (referencing After the Bomb), something like a Bounder might be above what can be handled (since they are actually intelligent, not simply high-end animal), but I wouldn't get too ruffled by it.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

EDIT: Not talking about ATB, TMNT, HU Mutant Animals, and Lonestar MAs (dogboys, kill cats, etc..).
then absolutly, provided they still fall within size/IQ limitations

RockJock
Knight

What about say, the hounds from Splicers?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

RockJock wrote:What about say, the hounds from Splicers?

1: Are they of Animal Intelligence? Yes or No

2: Are they of human intelligence? Yes or No

3: Are they of proper weight limit for the invocation? Yes or No*

4: Are they Lesser Supernatural? Yes or No

5: Are they Greater Supernatural? Yes or No.

*If Yes, then does a newborn weigh 25 lbs or less?

If 1 and 3 are Yes and the others No, you can use the Invocation.

if 1 is No but 2 and 5 are also No, you can use the Nightbane process

if 3 is No, it just means you can't use the Invocation
*Unless they weigh less than 25 lbs at birth, in which case they can be taken as familiars at birth and kept as they grow. it's a loophole Mysteries of Magic explicitly allows.

if 2 is Yes, you can only have them as familiars if 4 is also Yes, in which case you can only use Greater Familiar

if 4 is Yes, then Greater Familiar can take them as familiars regardless of answers 1-3

if 5 is Yes, then only Shifters can take them as familiars regardless of other Answers

For a Gorehound:
1: Yes
2: No
3: No*
4: No
5: No
*They are created fully grown, not born

Ergo, Gorehounds can only be taken as familiars Via the Nightbane process. :)
Last edited by Nekira Sudacne on Fri May 06, 2016 11:08 am, edited 5 times in total.

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
RockJock wrote:What about say, the hounds from Splicers?

1: Are they of Animal Intelligence? Yes or No

2: Are they of human intelligence? Yes or No

3: Are they of proper Size for the invocation? Yes or No

4: Are they Lesser Supernatural? Yes or No

5: Are they Greater Supernatural? Yes or No.

If 1 and 3 are Yes and the others No, you can use the Invocation.

if 1 is No but 2 and 5 are also No, you can use the Nightbane process

if 3 is No, it just means you can't use the Invocation

if 2 is Yes, you can only have them as familiars if 4 is also Yes, in which case you can only use Greater Familiar

if 4 is Yes, then Greater Familiar can take them as familiars regardless of answers 1-3

if 5 is Yes, then only Shifters can take them as familiars regardless of other Answers

Pull up the Splicers Gorehound statblock and apply the above Familiar Litmis Test(tm). Show your work, you will be graded :D ;)

That's awesome!
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Good "Go-No Go" chart NS. :ok:
---
My idea was to use varius text in the books be it Lonestar or the Galaxy Guide, or where ever, on the base/core animal stats to do my own design for a pre connected gene-modifications.

The Splicers' Gorehounds are something I can see Gene splicers (Triax) and the Gene-tech (one of the 3G books). While I can see Lonestar "being able" to produce them, however, they are constrained by CP's directives and policies.

However, they don't really fit into most of the SDC settings.
RockJock
Knight

Gorehound familiars could be scary.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

I use either of them depending on whether I want to sacrifice SDC or PPE to bond. Or both.

Not sure there's more than just the two approaches.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”