Stone Masters and Crystal Gardening

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Stone Masters and Crystal Gardening

Unread post by Bill »

I'm considering adding the option to magically grow gem-quality crystals to a stone master's class abilities. It seems thematically appropriate and addresses the issue of maintaining a supply of gems for the character's powers. I'm leaning toward it requiring a continuous P.P.E. source, like a ley line and for it to take a variable amount of time to create a usable product based on the desired mineral's utility (how many powers it gives the stone master access to and how many uses he or she can squeeze out of it); from days up to years for especially powerful options.

What other costs and limitations would you suggest incorporating into the ability?
Jorick
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Stone Masters and Crystal Gardening

Unread post by Jorick »

Bill wrote:I'm considering adding the option to magically grow gem-quality crystals to a stone master's class abilities. It seems thematically appropriate and addresses the issue of maintaining a supply of gems for the character's powers. I'm leaning toward it requiring a continuous P.P.E. source, like a ley line and for it to take a variable amount of time to create a usable product based on the desired mineral's utility (how many powers it gives the stone master access to and how many uses he or she can squeeze out of it); from days up to years for especially powerful options.

What other costs and limitations would you suggest incorporating into the ability?

I had a similar idea, but the requirement is a pyramid. I imagine that stone magic is the equivalent to Lemurian Biomancy, in that Atlanteans not only make stone weapons and PA and such, but also the pyramids are designed to help create the necessary elements. Examples of such things exist in the South America book.

A player might have to set up a "home base" that includes a small pyramid (just like one may require a TW to have a lab/workshop). The pyramid could provide any number of benefits (including transportation), thus making a stone master a pretty cool thing to have in a party.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

In my Opinion it would require a specialized magic pyramid that was dedicated to nothing but growing the crystals. WIth the lower quality stones being easier to grow then any of the gemstones.
With the caveat that magical minerals couldn't be grown.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

This should take months or years to grow IMHO.
Look at the Herbalists their class also depends on materials, but they can't just 'poof' I have what ever plant I want. And those are things that just take months or years normally....your talking stuff that takes centuries to millions of years......

And with gems you have the added issue of Techno-Wizards and just the sheer "I am raising gems to sell"

Thematically I think the idea that they have to rely on natural gems isn't really that much of a limit. I have never seen a player be short on gems unless the GM is trying to restrict the supply to be honest. And if the GM is trying to restrict the supply....then your not going to get to grow them anyway.

Just my 2cents. (not trying to be the 'no you cant' person here. Just thinking of some of the down sides to this if it was implemented...so that any ripple on effects can be addressed ahead of time, instead of afterwards.)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I would allow them to grow crystals OFF a pyramid, but make it slower.

So, the standard grow set up is going to be a room in a pyramid. Give them a set amount of time to grow based on the value of the crystal and the power of the spell(s) available from it. A set-up that would take longer would be a cave on a nexus; even longer would be a cave on a ley line.

With a "gardener", they can grow relatively fast, but without only, they grow haphazardly.

In short, I'd allow it, but I'd have to fiddle with numbers.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”