New Psionic Powers from Nightbane: Shadows of Light!?

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

New Psionic Powers from Nightbane: Shadows of Light!?

Unread post by Glistam »

I've been looking for sources of new super-psionic powers for my Palladium Fantasy Mind Mage and I made a startling discovery in Nightbane: Shadows of Light. In the introduction to the new Psychic Classes on page 78 the book has this note:
A quick note about psychic powers: Master Psionics, as well as a host of other new abilities, are described in Nightbane Book One: Between the Shadows. All MK-UL TRA II Psychic abilities should be kept as special and exclusive to each specific P.C.C. described in this section. If the G.M. elects to make some or all of them (excluding illusion powers) available to other psychic P.C.C.s, they should only be available as Master Psychic abilities, cost twice the I.S.P. listed under the P.C.C., and performed at half the duration and range.

In that vein, here's what some of the non-technological based powers from two of those P.C.C.s look like (The "Psi-Shadow" and the "Psi-Shaper"). These powers are all considered Super Psionics and the double I.S.P, half duration, and half range have already been applied. I'm not sure this "conversion" really works, though, which is why I wanted to present them and see what others think.

Nightvision
Range: 1000 feet
Duration: 5 minutes. The psychic will know when the duration is about to expire and can pay the I.S.P. cost again to renew the power.
I.S.P.: 4

The Psi-Shadow can use his psychic energy to enhance his own eyesight, granting the ability to see in almost total darkness. This power does not function against magical darkness or the Nightbringer Nightbane Talent.

Silence
Range: Self only
Duration: 2 melee rounds. The psychic will know when the duration is about to expire and can pay the I.S.P. cost again to renew the power.
I.S.P.: 4

The Psi-Shadow can produce a sort of psychic dampening field that absorbs all sound around his body, making all objects he carries and clothes that he wears utterly silent. The aura only projects to an area of approximately one inch or two (2.5 to 5 cm) around his person, so it does not affect groups of people. +20% Prowl bonus when this ability is in place. Note that since the firing mechanism of a gun is typically more than one or two inches away from the wielder's body, this power does not silence gunfire.

Insect Walk
Range: Self
Duration: 2½ minutes. The psychic will know when the duration is about to expire and can pay the I.S.P. cost again to renew the power.
I.S.P.: 20

Insect Walk. This power allows the psychic to generate a bioelectrical field that enables him to cling to and crawl on walls and ceilings like an insect. This energy field is harmless to living creatures (though generating the field and touching someone would deliver a startling shock, like static electricity). Oil and grease-covered surfaces interfere with the energy field and prevent them walking along them (slides off). Crawling on walIs requires both hands and both feet, so the wall-crawling Psi-Shadow is vulnerable to attack as he scampers up the side of a wall. He may, however, utilize other psychic powers once the field is activated, and can stop to aim and fire with one hand, but must holster his weapon and crawl on alI fours to resume movement without fear of slipping and falling. Notes: Maximum speed for an insect walk is 70% of the character's normal running speed, but reduce that speed by half if not loping along on all fours plus there is a 01-30% chance of slipping and falling.

Mind Bolt
Range: 50 feet per level of experience
Duration: Instant
I.S.P.: 30
Damage: 1D6 per level of experience

Mind Bolt. The psychic can direct a powerful bolt of invisible mental energy at a target by just looking and concentrating or pointing a finger. Make a standard 1D20 roll to strike with a bonus of +2 to strike (no other bonuses are applicable). Victims may attempt to dodge, but must know the bolt is coming (difficult, since it is invisible) and are -10 to dodge or parry. Note: Because this power channels psychic energy into physical, concussion damage, it does not function on the Astral Plane.

Psychic Invisibility
Range: Half of line of sight...?
Duration: 2 melee rounds. The psychic will know when the duration is about to expire and can pay the I.S.P. cost again to renew the power.
Saving Throw: Standard, at -2

The character gains the ability to affect a person's mind so that the psychic does not appear to be visible. ("No, he never came this way. We didn't see him.") To the eyes of the affected observer, the psychic appears to vanish into thin air. This is a mind control, illusion ability, so powers such as "see invisible" will not function to detect the Psi-Shadow using this power, but the potential victim gets to save vs psionics, though at -2 to do so. As a mind affecting power, the Psi-Shadow may seem to be invisible to the naked eye, but he is very much visible to electronic means of surveillance such as cameras and sensors. Nightvision and infrared goggles can be affected by this power, so long as the psychic targets the character wearing the goggles. To do this, he must be aware of the person's presence. This power does not function against opponents who are immune to mind control and/or illusions.

Alter Appearance
Range: 50 foot radius, or line of sight.
Duration: 2½ minutes. The psychic will know when the duration is about to expire and can pay the I.S.P. cost again to renew the power.
Saving Throw: Standard, at -5

Alter Appearance. This power allows the psychic to change his physical features to look like any other human being he can imagine, from someone of the opposite sex to a Nightbane in Morphus form or even a Night Prince or minion. However, the features mimicked are not real. This is another mind affecting illusion that makes the psychic appear that way to those who see him and fail to save vs psionics/mind control (-5 to save against this innocuous psionic manipulation). Functions as a Disguise skill at 85% efficiency, 55% if trying to impersonate a specific, known individual. I.S.P. Cost: 10. Duration: 5 minutes. Range: 100 foot (30.5 m) radius, or line of sight.

Phase: Intangibility
Duration: Half a melee round. The psychic will know when the duration is about to expire and can pay the I.S.P. cost again to renew the power.
I.S.P.: 40

The psychic can alter the speed at which his molecules vibrate to make himself out-of-phase with the rest of physical reality, effectively rendering him intangible. The character can, momentarily, walk through walls, travel unhindered through water, etc., much like a ghost. An intangible Psi-Shadow appears translucent and is immune to most physical attacks. Magic and Psionic attacks will still harm the phased character, and electrical attacks not only do full damage, but instantly force the character back into normal physical form. This ability takes one melee action (2-3 seconds) to activate and has no attack capabilities (i.e., he cannot materialize inside a living being). Ending the ability before its duration is up requires the expenditure of an additional 20 I.S.P.

Levitation Walk
Duration: 7½ minutes. The psychic will know when the duration is about to expire and can pay the I.S.P. cost again to renew the power.
I.S.P.: 24

The character walks floating 3-6 inches (8-15 cm) above the ground. Walking at half or less than his maximum speed he leaves absolutely no tracks and can walk above wet or dew covered grass, mud, snow, etc. Walking faster than half speed will not leave footprints, but will leave marks as if caused by the wind or something light moving across the surface as if a bit of twine or ribbon was pulled lightly over it. Cannot walk on water, but can walk over shallow puddles less than six inches deep.

Catatonic Strike
Range: Same as weapon used
Duration: Instant, one strike only
I.S.P.: 60

This awesome power allows the psychic to target the neural pathways of his victim with a blast of psychic energy that overrides the electrical impulses of the victim, driving them into a coma! On a successful strike, unless a save vs psionics is made, the victim takes 4D6 damage direct to Hit Points and lapses into a state of comatose unconsciousness. A successful save means that the victim suffers half damage from the strike and remains conscious, but loses initiative and is disoriented; all attacks and combat abilities/bonuses are at half, and -15% to all skills for 1D4 melee rounds. This power can only be used with a stabbing attack from a blade weapon, or the Shadow's Psi-Sword ability. Note that damage from the Psi-Sword or bladed weapon always comes off of S.D.C. first, even when combined with the Catatonic Strike. So a Psi-Shadow using this ability with Psi-Sword would see Psi-Sword damage come off of S.D.C. first, but the Catatonic Strike damage come directly from Hit Points regardless of how much S.D.C. his opponent might still have.

If the psychic misses his target with a strike, energy is still expended (does not store) and full cost must be paid for every attempt. Duration of Coma: 1D6 hours, after which the victim may make a save vs coma/death at + 15%. Failing this save means the victim may not save again for 24 hours. After this, the victim may save once per day, with a cumulative +5% to their save. The maximun length of a coma is equal to the victim's P.E. attribute in days, after which the victim dies if he has not awakened. Full bonuses from medical and psychic treatment apply to the save.

Containment Aura
Duration: 5 minutes. The psychic will know when the duration is about to expire and can pay the I.S.P. cost again to renew the power.

A protective aura covers the character's body that prevents it from leaving marks, smudges, fingerprints (or bare footprints) or any genetic materials (hair follicles, sweat, skin, etc.) behind. Thus, the character can enter and leave without any physical evidence of ever having been present. May be combined with Levitation Walk and/or other psionic abilities that function for a particular duration once activated. Note that if the psychic is cut he will bleed and leave blood droplets behind.

Astral Reconfiguration (Objects)
Range: Touch or 5 feet to infuse an item with ectoplasm.
Duration: 12 hours per level of experience.
I.S.P.: 10 per pound of weight or fraction thereof.

Similar to the Astral Lord (see page 49 of the Between the Shadows sourcebook for details), the Psi-Shaper can infuse physical objects with ectoplasm, so that they may be carried back and forth between the physical realm and the Astral Plane. Weapons infused with ectoplasm are just as effective in the Astral Plane as they are in the physical. Unlike the Astral Lord, however, the LS.P. expended by a Psi-Shaper is not permanently lost, but recovered as normal. Very small objects, such as bullets, can be "charged" together, but larger objects, such as the gun that fires the bullets must be charged separately. A charged gun is useless in the Astral Plane without charged bullets, to go with it.

Astral Bolts
Range: 15 feet + 5 feet per level of experience
Duration: Half a melee round.
Damage: 1D4 per level of experience

Same as the Sensitive power described on page 116 of Between the Shadows, except that they function on the physical as well as Astral Plane of existence. Bonus: +3 to strike.

Create Ectoplasmic Armor
Range: Self or other by touch or up to 5 feet away.
Duration: 5 minutes per level of experience, or until destroyed.

The Psi-Shaper can summon a field of skintight ectoplasm to protect his physical form. The Psi-Shaper's Ectoplasmic Armor, however, is equally effective in both the Astral and physical planes of existence. The armor has 50 S.D.C. + 10 points per level of experience. Ecto-Armor works like a second skin and has no A.R., but all damage comes of it first, and it must be completely destroyed before the character suffers physical damage himself.

Create Ectoplasmic Objects
Range: 30 feet
Duration: 30 minutes
I.S.P.: 100 per five pounds of weight or per 3 square feet of matter.

The psychic can call forth ectoplasm at will and form it into solid, physical (although temporary) matter! Only simple items like a sword, club, shield, drinking glasses, etc. can be created with ectoplasm; it is impossible to form complex mechanical devices such as cars and machinery. However, a "gun" that fires Astral Bolts at half the Psi-Shaper's current level of experience (minimum of level 1) can also be created and used by anyone on the Astral or physical plane (2D4 damage with a range of 30 feet; double damage and range in the Astral Plane).

The items themselves have S.D.C. and inflict damage that corresponds with similar man-made items created in the physical world. Ectoplasmic Walls have an S.D.C. of 50 per six square feet (0.55 sq. m). Takes 1D4 minutes to create. Note: Ectoplasmic objects are always a translucent green in color, and glow very faintly (not enough to generate practical light) in darkness.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: New Psionic Powers from Nightbane: Shadows of Light!?

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Glistam wrote:I've been looking for sources of new super-psionic powers for my Palladium Fantasy Mind Mage and I made a startling discovery in Nightbane: Shadows of Light. In the introduction to the new Psychic Classes on page 78 the book has this note:
A quick note about psychic powers: Master Psionics, as well as a host of other new abilities, are described in Nightbane Book One: Between the Shadows. All MK-UL TRA II Psychic abilities should be kept as special and exclusive to each specific P.C.C. described in this section. If the G.M. elects to make some or all of them (excluding illusion powers) available to other psychic P.C.C.s, they should only be available as Master Psychic abilities, cost twice the I.S.P. listed under the P.C.C., and performed at half the duration and range.

In that vein, here's what some of the non-technological based powers from two of those P.C.C.s look like (The "Psi-Shadow" and the "Psi-Shaper"). These powers are all considered Super Psionics and the double I.S.P, half duration, and half range have already been applied. I'm not sure this "conversion" really works, though, which is why I wanted to present them and see what others think.

The core words are "...they should only be available as Master Psychic abilities,…". This does not mean that the are automatically Super Psionics. It does mean that they would be restricted to use by Master Psychics.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Glistam wrote:I've been looking for sources of new super-psionic powers for my Palladium Fantasy Mind Mage and I made a startling discovery in Nightbane: Shadows of Light. In the introduction to the new Psychic Classes on page 78 the book has this note:

The core words are "...they should only be available as Master Psychic abilities,…". This does not mean that the are automatically Super Psionics. It does mean that they would be restricted to use by Master Psychics.

Then which ones would you say are miscategorized?

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Glistam wrote:Then which ones would you say are miscategorized?

The 1st 2 you listed wouldn't be Super. :angel: Looking at the ISP cost for a off the cuff deterniation.

Both would be Physical powers. The NV cause it is just an extended range mod of a standard psi power and the Silence being a very focused form of TK.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I agree that the powers are pretty cool.
And that adding some of them to the various options in the games is helpful.
But I think you are probably quoting way to much game specific text here.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

So here's my biggest problem as I worked through all this: I don't think the "Double I.S.P., half range and duration" is really appropriate. At least, not outside of Nightbane. I get it in the context of the Nightbane setting - these are P.C.C. specific powers, so someone outside that class should pay more in order to maintain the uniqueness of that class. I get that.

But two powers in particular, the Catatonic Strike and the Invisibility, those are pulled from other books and inserted into the class at the cost found in those other books! They are modified slightly (or nerfed heavily, as in the case of Catatonic Strike), but ultimately they aren't modified any worse than Nightbane has done with magic spells.

Based on that, in the context of being available outside of Nightbane, I think it might make sense to at least consider these super psionic powers at the cost, range and duration they are listed for in the P.C.C. write-up.

And I disagree with Drew, I think they all should be super-psionic powers. They all offer more than standard, book available minor powers provide (compare the two Nightvisions, for example). And making them super psionic also means they can only be taken by a Master psychic.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Maybe the powers talked about would cost double and ½ range for other specialized PCC's that save as master psi: while are just powers available for MM's.

I am only stating an option, not advocating for it.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I would, personally, allow them as a super psionic power OR on a case by case basis allow them as a non-super psi depending on who is taking them, at what level, and which power.
Yes that is a huge mouthful of 'it depends'...
....but basically....when talking about taking an optional rule from one game, then bringing it to another game....your already into the far realms of 'it depends'. Some character conceptions in some games would be just fine with a power or two from this book as written. Some powers in some games would be game breakingly bad no matter who was getting them super-psi or not.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

eliakon wrote:I would, personally, allow them as a super psionic power OR on a case by case basis allow them as a non-super psi depending on who is taking them, at what level, and which power.
....but basically....when talking about taking an optional rule from one game, then bringing it to another game....your already into the far realms of 'it depends'. Some character conceptions in some games would be just fine with a power or two from this book as written. Some powers in some games would be game breakingly bad no matter who was getting them super-psi or not.

I would agree with Eli in this that the stated text can be used by A GM to import those powers into another setting….At the GM's own choice, for their own games.

Players SOL if the GM does not allow the specilized psi powers outside the PCCs they were made for.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
eliakon wrote:I would, personally, allow them as a super psionic power OR on a case by case basis allow them as a non-super psi depending on who is taking them, at what level, and which power.

I would agree with Eli in this that the stated text can be used by A GM to import those powers into another setting….At the GM's own choice, for their own games.

Players SOL if the GM does not allow the specilized psi powers outside the PCCs they were made for.

Of course, it's always G.M. prerogative to approve or disapprove any powers or abilities.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”