TW shotgun

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

mercedogre
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: I ******* hate the atmosphere of the conversations here on these forums

TW shotgun

Unread post by mercedogre »

ive had the idea of converting shotgun shells to shoot different spells with a modified shotgun, that way a person can carry several shells for different purposes, the shells can be recharged when/if needed
You'll take my life but I'll take yours too
You'll fire your musket but I'll run you through
So when you're waiting for the next attack
You'd better stand there's no turning back
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Re: TW shotgun

Unread post by Glistam »

Try using the CFT ammo from New West as your base. I believe there's a shotgun from Juicer Uprising which can be used for this purpose, too.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Unread post by Riftmaker »

Humm so your making a caster gun like outlaw star? I'd go with either a talisman spell or create scroll for the ammo if you want it to be re usable. If not just work out how to enchant each bullit. It will probably be cheaper that way. I'd talk to the GM on giving you a break on the creation cost if it was one use and done king of ammo.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Riftmaker wrote:Humm so your making a caster gun like outlaw star? I'd go with either a talisman spell or create scroll for the ammo if you want it to be re usable. If not just work out how to enchant each bullit. It will probably be cheaper that way. I'd talk to the GM on giving you a break on the creation cost if it was one use and done king of ammo.

Probably would have been a good idea not to say that, because now you make the thread sound like an attempt at a conversion of the Caster Gun instead of a generic thread.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

mercedogre wrote:ive had the idea of converting shotgun shells to shoot different spells with a modified shotgun, that way a person can carry several shells for different purposes, the shells can be recharged when/if needed

I don't think it's an unreasonable design... however, what would be the difference between this is and a "variable gun" that let you flick a switch and shoot a net, a fireball, or what have you?

That said: figure out the price for your delivery system, and the individual price of your shots. I would probably use a spell like Talisman as the base for your "shotgun", with the individual "shells" empowering spells into your talisman. So, you gun, which charges up your talisman, which you then fire.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Mark Hall wrote:
mercedogre wrote:ive had the idea of converting shotgun shells to shoot different spells with a modified shotgun, that way a person can carry several shells for different purposes, the shells can be recharged when/if needed

I don't think it's an unreasonable design... however, what would be the difference between this is and a "variable gun" that let you flick a switch and shoot a net, a fireball, or what have you?

That said: figure out the price for your delivery system, and the individual price of your shots. I would probably use a spell like Talisman as the base for your "shotgun", with the individual "shells" empowering spells into your talisman. So, you gun, which charges up your talisman, which you then fire.

There is that TW crossbow in Merc Ops that switches between normal and TW arrows.

I would think that what they are looking for would best be handled by:
-treating the shells as single use TW devices
-making each shell a Talisman that can be triggered by the shotgun, then recharge the Talisman as normal. This may or may not require TWdry or some additional magic types (like Wards) I think would be simpler than using the "shotgun" for talisman to be empowered by the shells
-don't bother with individual shells, just build in multiple functions to a TW shotgun. This would limit you to four TW functions though, unless the GM rules otherwise to wave the four limit rule or allow a layer of sub-functions (which are not covered by TW rules). You might even be able to get around the rule of 4 by making attachments.
mercedogre
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: I ******* hate the atmosphere of the conversations here on these forums

a benefit of using the ammo as the spell holder rather than the gun itself, would be the capability to have numerous amount of ammo pre-charged and ready for battle rather than just a limited number of shots held by the gun, also, multiple spells enchanting a weapon increases the price, the price of the weapon can be kept low and a single spell per ammo would also keep the ammo price lower. Also keep the need for gems down,maybe one good crystal in the weapon to act as a "firing pin" and one good gem/crystal in each shell. rather than a list of gems and crystals embedded in the weapon, something that can be worked on and improved as the TW increases in level and power.
mercedogre
Dungeon Crawler

maybe also possible to allow non-mages/non-psychics to use the weapon once all the ammo is charged. might require a PPE storage gem to activate the 'firing pin'.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

mercedorge wrote:lso keep the need for gems down,maybe one good crystal in the weapon to act as a "firing pin" and one good gem/crystal in each shell. rather than a list of gems and crystals embedded in the weapon, something that can be worked on and improved as the TW increases in level and power.

In the short run you might keep the gem cost down, but in the long term you might not.

If you are limiting the enchantments to the ammo shell itself, I don't see a reason to enchant the gun at all as presented to act as a firing pin. And it is possible to make the TW item operable by non-mage/psychics.

mercedorge wrote:a benefit of using the ammo as the spell holder rather than the gun itself, would be the capability to have numerous amount of ammo pre-charged and ready for battle rather than just a limited number of shots held by the gun,

There are several flaws with this thinking though by using shells:
-it can take longer to reload or even change out the enchantment at the ready. Built-in, the enchantment options are a flick of a switch and reloads are as fast as you can pump PPE in (or change out the PPE clip or just use the shells as a PPE "clip")
-you could be taking away from other useful materials you could be carrying both in terms of volume and weight/mass
-if you are willing to pay for it, you could have the gun holding far more magical shots by built-in/PPE-clip than you could reasonably carry in the gun and on person.
-as you have to pre-figure what you need, so you might find you didn't bring enough XYZ shells and can't take the time to reload the shell(s), where a built-in could reasonably allow the entire payload to be used in any combination of the functions.
-each is enchanted, so if you need to hide the enchantment for some reason it could potentially be more difficult or it is possible all those little sources could add-up to a "big source" for PPE tracking purposes
-recharging is much more longer, as it is done individually (assuming the GM doesn't require these to be single use items) so if you used 6 shells you have to recharge 6 individual times vs once if it was built-in
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

The GMG or BoM (don't remember which) lists magic arrows, but gives no mention of how they're made.
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

flatline wrote:The GMG or BoM (don't remember which) lists magic arrows, but gives no mention of how they're made.

I can't comment on the GMG, but BoM does reprint the ones from Rifts Japan and the Tattoo magic in Splyn Market. Neither are TW, though Japan probably comes closer as they are made by alchemists and the other is basically conjured up. Eco-Wizardry offers a source of arrows in WB26 (and outline to be duplicated), and Merc Ops has the Swarm crossbow bolt that is TW (no production outline). WB5 (pg151) and WB2 (pg153) mentions magic arrows in a cut & paste fashion exist both as TW and regular magical, but not much else. SoT1 mentions that TW Goblin Grenades can also be used for TW arrows. SoT6 also mentions some magic arrows made by the Mystic Kunzyi (sp) in an NPC description.

EDIT: added info about WB5 & WB2

EDIT2: added info from SoT1 & SoT 6
Last edited by ShadowLogan on Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

One issue you run into, quickly is you need to first decide on the 'power level' of the game in question.
Yes I know Rifts games are all over the place in power, and yes I know it is a deeply personal issue for a group as to what they want to play...
HOWEVER. This sort of thing is a good example of something that, basically can be implemented in numerous ways depending on the desired power of the final product.

For me, I would be very leery of rechargeable 'shells' for the spell gun unless there were a very limited selection of ammunition types, and the recharging was pricy. Why? Because it quickly runs into the 'easy talisman' issue where it becomes easy to pre-store large amounts of magic in easy to carry, easy to use, convenient forms. To me that is Not A Good Thing....but I freely admit that to some groups this is either 'who cares' or even 'A Very Good Thing' or even "So What? Everyone Does It".

If you need an example of a multi-load TW device though there is the TW Hypo-Spray in Dinosuar Swamp.
In has ....A TW converted Hypo-Spray, that can be used with different 'loads' Each load can be charged with and cast one specific spell. But they have to be spells that make sense in a hypo-spray (No sprays of fireball for instance), and of course it is touch.
Based on that if I were to allow a TW shotgun like this, the base gun would be built, then each shell would be loaded with one spell. The spell would have to be one that could be reasonably be 'fired' from a shotgun. Expect such shells to be very expensive and take a chunk of PPE to reload.

Also you will need to work to find a conversion cost that fits the games needs. While many have pointed out that the 'rules' in RUE are broken and easily abused....many forget that they are not hard and fast rules, but guidelines to help make the game easier, not official rules that codify easy ways to break the system....run with it, tinker with it and get some stats that work for the particular game.
And don't be afraid to change those stats retroactively (up or down!) if they prove problematic the first time. The goal is not to make 'the perfect weapon' the goal is to have fun.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”