New Line Drawing spells???

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

New Line Drawing spells???

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Does anyone have ideas for line drawing spells?
I sort of pitched a line drawing mage to a GM, having forgotten how few actual spells that specialty magic has within canon.

Also….what common magic spells do you think could be cast as line magic?
Specialty magic spells as line magic spells?
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Re: New Line Drawing spells???

Unread post by Glistam »

Off the top of my head, as far as common magic goes, I could entertain:

Circle of Protection: Simple
Circle of Protection: Superior
Wards
Talisman
Phantom Mount
Magic Warrior
Illusionary Wall
Ley Line Tendrils
Electric Arc
Electric Blast
Throwing Stone
Wall of Defense
Energy Field
Mystic Shield (from Heroes Unlimited 2nd Edition)

Remember that every animal drawing and every monster drawing counts as one drawing, so that's where you'll get multiple drawings in your repertoire.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

Here are a couple ideas just off the top of my head.

Stasis Pattern
Drawing Description: Eight interlocking circles with sixteen lines radiating inward. Typically inscribed on a jar or other vessel, sometimes woven into blankets.
Time to Draw: Five minutes (20 melee rounds).
P.P.E. Cost: 40
Saving Throw: 16 if a living creature.
When activated, anything inside the vessel or on the blanket is perfectly preserved for one year per experience level of the caster. Living creatures, including people, enter a form of suspended animation; they are unaware of their surroundings and unable to move or interact in any way. Creatures and objects in stasis are completely invulnerable to damaging effects. However, the vessel itself may be destroyed which ends the enchantment. When released from stasis the target may be disoriented but is otherwise exactly as he or she was when the effect was triggered.
Combining the Stasis Pattern with the Pattern of Control can create a powerful magical snare. These are often used to protect important locations. Rumors circulate of a small change in the Stasis Pattern that can dramatically extend its duration, possibly to centuries.

Control Weather - The Lesser Lizard
Drawing Description: A lizard symbol with symbolic representations of the desired weather conditions (clouds, wavy lines representing winds, slanted lines representing rain, etc.).
Time to Draw: One hour (ceremonial magic only).
P.P.E. Cost: 200
This drawing can only be used within one mile (1.6 km) of a ley line, or two miles (3.2 km) from a nexus point. When activated, the specified weather effect manifests up to a mile from the place the symbol was drawn, affecting up to a one-mile (1.6 km) diameter area. The most common form of this drawing, a lizard with a sun and moon inside it, is used to insure pleasant weather for festivals and other important events, but versions that cause torrential downpours, hailstones up to 6 inches (15.42 cm) in diameter, and violent thunderstorms exist. These may cause flooding and inflict significant damage on persons and property in the affected area; 6D6 S.D.C. per minute. The spell can also raise or lower the temperature in the area by as much as 10° Fahrenheit (5.56° C). The weather effect lasts for 10 minutes per level of experience and the adept can end the effect at will.
Note: Each time the ritual is learned, the line maker knows how to create one type of weather effect. The ritual can be learned multiple times, each time learning the pattern of a new type of weather.

Bountiful Harvest Symbol
Drawing Description: A figure representing a human next to six mature stalks of corn.
Time to Draw: 30 minutes.
P.P.E. Cost: 100
This pattern affects a single field of crops with an area no larger than a quarter acre (1012 sq meters) per level of experience. The crops are magically warded from pests and mature in days rather than weeks. Corn, for example, normally takes 16 weeks to reach full maturity. Under the influence of the Bountiful Harvest Symbol it is ready to harvest in just 16 days.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Does anyone have ideas for line drawing spells?
I sort of pitched a line drawing mage to a GM, having forgotten how few actual spells that specialty magic has within canon.

If the GM is wary about using custom spells try seeing if any of the other drawing arts (wards, circles, calligraphy, etc) can be used instead.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

The Beast wrote:

If the GM is wary about using custom spells try seeing if any of the other drawing arts (wards, circles, calligraphy, etc) can be used instead.

The line maker text already says that they can learn how to make rune wards like that PF class.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

As already mentioned:
-Wards from the spell invocation list and PF2E Diabolist class are available to them
-Ley Line Magic, since they can manipulate Ley Lines some of the Ley Line Magic should also be applicable I would think
-after reviewing the spells, it would seem that just about any spell that involves creating magical energy constructs (like barriers, walls, Magic Warrior, Phantom Horse, etc)
-based on (PF2E's) Circle Magic Animate & Control Dead Power Circle description (it requires a symbol drawn on the skeletons), I suppose a case could be made for something like Animate & Control Dead, along with Create Zombie, Create Mummy, and Create Golem. Personally I'd avoid the Mummy since it doesn't involve any mystic symbols being drawn in the ritual like the Zombie and Golem IIRC. Though it might also be good to give the Line versions distinct traits from the normal version
-based on existing drawings available, I could see ones that convey additional speed, flight ability, or even magic force bolts (like Lightning, Firebolt, etc)
-based on their available spell list: chameleon, invisibility, any "Circle" type magic (though the list from Invocations is pretty light), and any summoning

Another option is to port in Tattoo Magic equivalents since you are in a sense dealing with magical drawings already from Atlantis (WB2/WB21). Japan (WB8) has a unique type of Tattoo Magic separate from the Atlantean version, though here not to many options (IIRC it is only like 1 or 2), but I don't think it adds anything to the Line Maker.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

If you could justify "casting" the spell by drawing some sort of complicated pattern and then energizing it to realize the spell's effect, I think you could convert it into Line Magic. Also, since Line Magic cast by invocation mages is at half power, you could justify that through this conversion the new Line Magic drawing is double power.

Any "buff" spell or spell where you put an effect on yourself could potentially be converted into line magic. As was stated, so could circle/ritual based magic, and just about any wall spell could make sense (you would "draw" the pattern on the ground and the wall would spring up or materialize from it).

If the class already lets you have access to Ward magic from Palladium Fantasy then you already have some massive, massive additional power.

Rifter 17 offers Dwoemer Magic, and much of that may be applicable as well. It could be worth a look.

Temporal Magic spells like Temporary Time Hole, Dimensional Pocket and Dimensional Envelope could be accomplished as line drawings too, I would think.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Between the already huge array of line drawings (there is a rather lengthy list of 'spells' that come in line versions), and the ability to learn wards (which an individual GM will have to figure out some issues on but still) its already massively diverse and potent.
If one allows one to start combining wards and line drawings....(i.e. put line drawings in the phrases so that you can set conditions on lines, and use pattern of control to program wards) then you have an insanely powerful class.

Not that new line drawings wouldn't be unhelpful. For example I would say the Circle of Travel spell is probably available in a line version, and Enchant Weapon (minor) also fits.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Not counting the animal (lesser and greater), monster and secret line drawings there are but 16 common line drawing spells listed.
Then there are the 7 secret line drawings that are not giving out to line makers under level 6.
and then there are 6 common magic spells that are listed as available as line drawings.

So excluding the animal and monster drawings (which are as numerous as there are monsters and animals) there are 29 listed line drawing spells. That is just two spells over the number of Level 1& Level 2 invocations/common magic spells in the Rifts Book of Magic. Thus why I said 'so few spells.'

Yes, they might be combinable with runic wards…if the GM understands that form of magic enough to allow it to happen. There is also that book does not "say" that they 'can be combined' which might stop GMs from allowing the combination.
There is the 'NIMBY if not in a rifts book' thinking too.

Which was a part of the why I asked people's thoughts on what new line drawing spells might be, and what common magic spells might be available as or translatable to line drawing spells.

The problem is that there is no update on which common magic spells can be done as line drawings. Where this would of been expected to be noted would of been in the RBoM, but all mention of line drawing magic was excluded from the RBoM. And since I am the one who floated the idea to the GM I was hoping for suggestions on which ones were suitable for being translated to Line Magic. Which has been done in general terms with a few examples.
Thank You All.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

The problem is that most of the spells in the game don't fit the 'theme'. This is exasperated by the fact that we already can look at the spells in RMB and SA2 and see what kinds of magic is not allowed. I.e. we know that you can not use line drawing to make scrolls or talismans or golems. That while you can summon and command entities, you can not use pentacles to summon/command dogs or rats. That energy magics of all kinds don't work as line drawings.
That means that when looking at a new spell you need to compare it to the ones in RMB and see if it is more like the allowed ones, or the prohibited ones.
That is why I said Circle of Travel (its a circle). Enchant Weapon (lesser) seems to be very 'in theme' so it's probably permissible. Summon Ally makes sense as another allowed ritual.

Though if one wants..
-You could borrow a bunch of the Mirror Magic from Nightbane and have them work....if you draw them on a mirror.
-Another option is the various Geomatic spells in Mystic China since they all involved 'draw line of X'.....though that would require a GM using Chi-Magic in their game and a lot of various House Rules and stuff.
-Various "Wall of X" spells work well as line drawings
-Simply adding in the wards gives dozens of new 'rituals' to pick up
-Based on the ability to use wards (since this means they have to know how component magic works), and the ability to use the Circle spells it might be possible to allow them to learn how to use the various Circle Magic circles.

And yes, it has a fairly limited 'spell list' It makes up for this with several advantages (like no levels) and the ability to use those in advance, and that 'visualize the rituals' thing later.

The final question really is "How much more powerful does the GM want to make the class?" Once you know that, it is easy to simply go through and add stuff until it satisfies the desired power level.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

The Idea is still in the floating stage.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

eliakon wrote: I.e. we know that you can not use line drawing to make scrolls or talismans or golems.

Actually in a way the Line Maker is capable of making the equivalent of scrolls or talismans already with the right existing drawings. Maybe even a bit more advanced, though only the Line Maker can exploit them. Why do I say this?

One of the available Line Drawings is: "Energy Jar", that is the equivalent of using the Talisman Ritual as a PPE battery. The result is much more varied than Talisman though because the Line Maker's level and a random dice roll is involved in how much PPE is actually in there, and is much cheaper to cast/re-energize in terms of PPE (though you need to be on a Ley Line to do this). That all adds up to potentially a more powerful PPE battery than a Talisman.

Scrolls and Talismans (as spell delivery), again are possible in a rough equivalent form since "Pre-made drawings can also be used" (SA2 pg31). So all the Line Maker has to do is provide the PPE, and then can provide the PPE again as the drawing does not appear to be destroyed. They can also energize the drawing, but put a conditional requirement ("Pattern of Control") so that it effectively IS a scroll or Talisman.

Golems and Zombies both involve drawing as part of the ritual, though it is external to the construct. I could see a Line Maker having to use a different set of drawings and requirements though that yield up a Golem or Zombie for all practical purposes, though there might be differences. This isn't totally without precedent as in Circle Magic and regular Wizard Invocations we have the ability to Animate & Control Dead, the Circle version involves drawing the circle obviously, but it also requires drawing on the dead to be effected by the Circle, which is not a requirement for the Wizard Invocation version.

I would also add that the Line Maker can create "Powered Armor", which essentially combines two Invocation spells (and the Strength part is available solo to). They can also make a Warrior Pattern for a Magic Warrior equivalent (actually superior in many ways). These two Line Patterns show that you can have Mystic Lines versions of Wizard Invocations that normally don't suggest it. The trick is figuring out the drawing aspect in literal terms (how it is represented and how long it takes to make).
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

ShadowLogan wrote:
eliakon wrote: I.e. we know that you can not use line drawing to make scrolls or talismans or golems.

Actually in a way the Line Maker is capable of making the equivalent of scrolls or talismans already with the right existing drawings. Maybe even a bit more advanced, though only the Line Maker can exploit them. Why do I say this?

One of the available Line Drawings is: "Energy Jar", that is the equivalent of using the Talisman Ritual as a PPE battery. The result is much more varied than Talisman though because the Line Maker's level and a random dice roll is involved in how much PPE is actually in there, and is much cheaper to cast/re-energize in terms of PPE (though you need to be on a Ley Line to do this). That all adds up to potentially a more powerful PPE battery than a Talisman.

Scrolls and Talismans (as spell delivery), again are possible in a rough equivalent form since "Pre-made drawings can also be used" (SA2 pg31). So all the Line Maker has to do is provide the PPE, and then can provide the PPE again as the drawing does not appear to be destroyed. They can also energize the drawing, but put a conditional requirement ("Pattern of Control") so that it effectively IS a scroll or Talisman.

Golems and Zombies both involve drawing as part of the ritual, though it is external to the construct. I could see a Line Maker having to use a different set of drawings and requirements though that yield up a Golem or Zombie for all practical purposes, though there might be differences. This isn't totally without precedent as in Circle Magic and regular Wizard Invocations we have the ability to Animate & Control Dead, the Circle version involves drawing the circle obviously, but it also requires drawing on the dead to be effected by the Circle, which is not a requirement for the Wizard Invocation version.

I would also add that the Line Maker can create "Powered Armor", which essentially combines two Invocation spells (and the Strength part is available solo to). They can also make a Warrior Pattern for a Magic Warrior equivalent (actually superior in many ways). These two Line Patterns show that you can have Mystic Lines versions of Wizard Invocations that normally don't suggest it. The trick is figuring out the drawing aspect in literal terms (how it is represented and how long it takes to make).

My point is that we have a list of all the RMB spells that exist as line drawings.
Talisman, Scroll, and Golem are not on the list.
Ergo unless you go through and totally redo the magic system they are not line drawings
At that point if your rewriting the magic to remove the restrictions put in at design why even pretend and just say "sure you can have all the spells you want, go for it?"

I am not saying you can't make an energy jar sure...but that isn't a Talisman, it cant store a globe of silence or immobilize spell
I am not saying you cant make a preloaded linedrawing....I am saying you cant make something that you hand to just anyone and they can activate for magic
I am not saying you can not make the specialized stuff of your class what I am saying is that you can't make all the cool toys of all the other classes. And that's fine, there is no reason that a Line Drawer should get all their class abilities, plus all the abilities of everyone else.

ShadowLogan
Palladin

eliakon wrote:My point is that we have a list of all the RMB spells that exist as line drawings.
Talisman, Scroll, and Golem are not on the list.
Ergo unless you go through and totally redo the magic system they are not line drawings
At that point if your rewriting the magic to remove the restrictions put in at design why even pretend and just say "sure you can have all the spells you want, go for it?"

The question though is not what RMB spells exist as line drawings per canon. It is what spells we think can be used to expand line drawings offerings.

If we are offering suggestions/ideas using existing spells to expand line drawing list from just the Wizard Invocation List (or others) it should meet one of three requirements:
-does Line Drawing magic have something similar, essentially we are creating a variant (and it isn't like there aren't variants on the Invocation list)
-does the spell include a component for drawing/writing already
-is there a disciple variation (ex, Necromancy, Circle Magic, Tattoo, Rune, etc) on the spell or even a related (even if only in concept) spell in question that involves drawing/writing (and Circle, Tattoo, and Rune do by default).

If the answer is yes to any one of them, then it should be a candidate to expand the Line Drawing list. That doesn't mean that the Line Drawing version is identical in terms of casting stage, but would be very similar in terms of end effects. Ex. Look at Circle Magic, Tattoo Magic and Wizard/Necromantic version of "Animated & Control Dead", end results are very similar (nearly identical) in terms of game stats, but different in execution in terms of drawing, so there is some precedent for end results being the same/similar but not previous steps.

eliakon wrote:I am saying you cant make something that you hand to just anyone and they can activate for magic

Actually the "Energy Jar" text doesn't restrict someone else from using it as it is mentioned that some are for sale (BoM pg177) in the Empire and traded to allies.

"Pattern of Wounding" can create MDC magical melee weapons that can be used by anyone (though only energized by a Line Maker). "Pattern of Control" when combined with another drawing, can be used to duplicate allowing others to release/activate the magic.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Electric motorcycle with a "Wield Lighting" recharge magic.
Range: 200 miles per charge. Body plates: 25 MDC

Comments?
Like? (Y/N)
Meh?
missing anything important?
ShadowLogan
Palladin

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Electric motorcycle with a "Wield Lighting" recharge magic.
Range: 200 miles per charge. Body plates: 25 MDC

Comments?
Like? (Y/N)
Meh?
missing anything important?

Is this using Line Drawing to charge a physical Electric Motorcycle or creating one? What about drawing time, PPE cost? Why the mile range and not a time range like normally is encountered with Line drawings?

With the information provided though:
If it is use to charge a physical object I think it can work as presented. And can be expanded to include variants that deal with recharging other electric items.

If it creates the actual Motorcycle, that I'm not so sure on though something shaped like a cycle as an illusion acting as the equivalent of the "Fly" spell enchanting something I can see. I am not sure because of the complexity of the device, even a Conjurer can't do this and making things appear is their speciality, so I'd like to know why the Line Drawing can do what the Conjurer can't if it is creating a functioning motorcycle.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

Sounds like a little techno-wizardry combined with Energy Jar. Probably workable for a character that understands both forms of magic or a pair of characters working together. What about this as a more thematic solution?

Animating Sign
Drawing Description: A stick figure representing an animal or humanoid and symbols of life and motion in an elaborate circular pattern.
Time to Draw: Twenty minutes.
P.P.E. Cost: Small statues 50, medium statues 100, large statues 200
This sign may be drawn on a statue, a deactivated robot, or even other vehicles. The effigy must be large enough for the animating sign to be drawn on, with a surface of at least 12 inches (30.48 cm). After the sign has been completed the adept may activate it to give the figure a semblance of life for 20 minutes per level of the caster. The animated statue has no will of its own and the line maker must spend his or her actions to control its movements like a magical puppet. The statue stops immediately if the caster loses direct line of sight, loses consciousness, or is killed.
Animated statues have the equivalent of robotic strength and they do not tire. Small statues under three feet tall have P.S. 20, medium statues up to ten feet tall have P.S. 35, and large statues over ten feet tall have P.S. 50. The line maker may command the statue to pick up and use weapons, but gains no proficiency bonus for doing so. A statue's Speed attribute depends on its size and how many legs it has. Small statues have a base speed of 10, medium 25, and large 40. A statue with four or more legs doubles the base speed value. A statue's damage capacity is equal to the materials it is constructed from. Robots enchanted with the animating sign have the standard M.D.C. for a robot of its type.
While the animating sign may be used by the caster to control vehicles that he or she is unfamiliar with or give motion to ones that are out of fuel, their speed remains limited as above and the caster must still dedicate his or her actions to controlling the animated vehicle's movements.

This would be way less convenient than the animal and monster drawings, but it'll last longer and is probably better for labor and basic transportation. It's definitely not as good as a TW motorcycle for getting around though.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

●Line Drawing to charge a physical battery/capacitor of an Electric Motorcycle.
●When vehicles are listed they list a range on a full power load/tank of fuel.
◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇
To create a vehicle "mount' I would of used the Animal: simple line drawing template as the basis of the spell. I figure the Line Drawing constructs are more like the Magic Tattoo animals and monster tattoos, or the Pjantom mount invocation.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

I don't think using line drawing by itself to power a technological device works thematically. It crosses over into techno-wizardry when most of the canon line drawings are fairly primitive in their flavor.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Bill wrote:I don't think using line drawing by itself to power a technological device works thematically. It crosses over into techno-wizardry when most of the canon line drawings are fairly primitive in their flavor.

And if I had put a TW in front of the name would it had mattered? How would you call it? It is not a TW converted electric motorcycle. It is a electric motorcycle with a magic to electricity power converter. So just Slapping a TW label on it is outside what the reality of what TW stuff is.

Can this be made by a TW And Line maker working together? *retorical* yes it can be. The "Wield Lighting" spell is acting as both a "trigger lock" spell and the spell that the energy is derived from. so it is well within the Rifts 'Theme' even if I didn't label it as a TW item.

Well the true of it would be, It is not a TW item because it is not making an magic out of tech parts.
Yes, it is a MIXTURE of tech and magic that is not """TW""" because the bike itself is not TW (wasn't "converted"), there is only a part that is magical.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

If your GM will allow it, fine. I wouldn't.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:●Line Drawing to charge a physical battery/capacitor of an Electric Motorcycle.
To create a vehicle "mount' I would of used the Animal: simple line drawing template as the basis of the spell. I figure the Line Drawing constructs are more like the Magic Tattoo animals and monster tattoos, or the Pjantom mount invocation.

So basically a Line Drawing version of the "Sub-Particle Acceleration" Invocation's (IIRC the name) alternate E-Clip charging function.

I like the concept in this case. While I don't think any lightning spell is every used for charging a tech device like SPA Invocation without the use of TWdry. Is there a drawing precedent you can come up with for this mode of operation (I know there is a Lightning Drawing to handle lightning attacks)? Otherwise I would suggest an intermediate tech object that would be capable of converting a lighting strike created by the Line Drawing.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

ShadowLogan wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:●Line Drawing to charge a physical battery/capacitor of an Electric Motorcycle.
To create a vehicle "mount' I would of used the Animal: simple line drawing template as the basis of the spell. I figure the Line Drawing constructs are more like the Magic Tattoo animals and monster tattoos, or the Pantom mount invocation.

So basically a Line Drawing version of the "Sub-Particle Acceleration" Invocation's (IIRC the name) alternate E-Clip charging function.

I like the concept in this case. While I don't think any lightning spell is every used for charging a tech device like SPA Invocation without the use of TWdry. Is there a drawing precedent you can come up with for this mode of operation (I know there is a Lightning Drawing to handle lightning attacks)? Otherwise I would suggest an intermediate tech object that would be capable of converting a lighting strike created by the Line Drawing.

It is taking the Idea that magic can be used to charge a electric vehicle's power core. With that Idea it is personalized to the mage who is going to use the bike.

So what what is irking you is that I left off the T and the W labeling the item???
So if the flavor text said something about a magic charging device attached to the bike it would make it better instead of just stating the core "I had a idea" idea?
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

I am not saying that the suggested charging device has to be TW in origin. It can be an ordinary tech device designed to store electrical discharge from a lightning bolt, be it magical or not. Most tech devices aren't going to be able to handle that type of energy from a lightning bolt (which packs a lot of voltage).

Think of the movie "Back to the Future" and lighting in relation to the Delorian Time Machine, to safely manage the lighting bolt it needed an intermediary device (the lighting rod, the cable, and the connection stick, etc) or else it would fry several systems (like the time circuits).
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Hello, it's ""Magic"".
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Magic Electrical Vehicle Rechargers
This black box of a magic item that can be made by any mage with a technological bent. Whether they mix magic and tech or if they build their magic items out of technological parts. Each charger will completely charge the power cores of electrical vehicles with the application of mystic energy. Wired into the vehicle's electrical system the charger all a mage (or psychic) has to do is feed power into charger to recharge the vehicle's battery or capacitor.
The Chargers can be locked by requiring a specific spell or psi power to feed power into the charger & activate it.
Motorcycles
4 PPE for 200 miles of charge for a 300 pound bike.
8 PPE for 250 miles for a 800 pound bike.
Full charge is a electrical MD spell.
Automobile
10 PPE for 300 miles of charge for each 1000 pounds (½ ton) of car.

Retail Cost:5,000 credits.
Custom build with a security lock spell: 10,000 credits.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Hello, it's ""Magic"".
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Magic Electrical Vehicle Rechargers
This black box of a magic item that can be made by any mage with a technological bent. Whether they mix magic and tech or if they build their magic items out of technological parts. Each charger will completely charge the power cores of electrical vehicles with the application of mystic energy. Wired into the vehicle's electrical system the charger all a mage (or psychic) has to do is feed power into charger to recharge the vehicle's battery or capacitor.
The Chargers can be locked by requiring a specific spell or psi power to feed power into the charger & activate it.
Motorcycles
4 PPE for 200 miles of charge for a 300 pound bike.
8 PPE for 250 miles for a 800 pound bike.
Automobile
10 PPE for 300 miles of charge for each 1000 pounds (½ ton) of car.

Retail Cost:5,000 credits.

I guess if you don't mind more or less making the TW class ability a generic one for "any mage with a technical bent". And yes, I know that TWs are not exactly perfect melding's of technology and magic. They and Cybermancers are still the only ones that can do it in the game at this time, and since their described as doing it...then canonically like it or not, they are what we have for magi-tech. (I will say that I don't like it and have house ruled on this extensively myself.....but I also tend to pretty much throw out the entire RUE TW section when I run because of rampant repeated munchkinisim so I don't have as much invested as some people)

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Because of the pattern of what sort of items the TW mage makes, magic items made out of tech parts, it is not a blending of tech and magic. Nether is the Cyber mage products for a simmiler reason.

Techno magic stuff…..is a blending of tech and magic because there are tech parts and magic parts. Yes, a different name. Blending of two things means there are both in the same thing.

However this is not a topic to argue about tech magic.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”