Warlock with more elements

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Warlock with more elements

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Once, long ago, the members of the message board lived in harmony.

Then everything changed when the Avatar Nation attacked... ;-)
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

barna10 wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Could we stop making reference to a animated tv show? That talk belongs in the "Gamers Who Like More Than Just Games" Forum.

Or maybe the N&S/MC forum.

No. Sorry, most of us don't live in a "Palladium is the only thing" vacuum. You are free to ignore this thread.

How about we discuss this threads topic in this thread.
If you want to discuss the Avatar show in a thread fine about the show, go ahead and do so. But it is not topical to the discussion here, and thus it is simply spamming the forum with non-relevant messages and disrupting a conversation.

It is rather rude to tell people that they should ignore a discussion that is about the game simply because you wish to threadjack it into your own discussion of something that is not about the game.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

We kinda have talked about the topic, though. There's not terribly more to say on it, unless someone cares to come up with a scheme by which more elements can be mastered by a single individual.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
barna10
Hero
Comment: Started playing Palladium in 1990.

Unread post by barna10 »

Plus, everyone talking about the Avatar was civil. It's the "Get Off My Lawn!" crowd that's complaining.

Also, the only way reference material is irrelevant is if its factually wrong. Palladium has clearly been influenced by outside sources (ie the Demon Hunter class is clearly the Winchesters, Mind Melters are Jedi inspired, Cosmoknights the Silver Surfer, Wizards = Gandalf, etc.), so suggesting parallels between the Avatar and Warlocks is clearly in scope.

Basically, quit whining.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Wizards aren't forced to use staffs or specialize in fire magic, not getting the gandalf ref, a 1st level LLW seems more flexible. Jedis did not invent psychic and Melters don't need swords... I do agree about Cosmo Knights being empowered by a dangerous universe-eating entity though I don't trust them.
barna10
Hero

Unread post by barna10 »

Axelmania wrote:Wizards aren't forced to use staffs or specialize in fire magic, not getting the gandalf ref, a 1st level LLW seems more flexible. Jedis did not invent psychic and Melters don't need swords... I do agree about Cosmo Knights being empowered by a dangerous universe-eating entity though I don't trust them.

Lol, I wasn't making direct references nor was I trying to claim rip offs. I'm just saying there's cross-inspiration going on and drawing from non-Palladium sources is perfectly legitimate. Trying to claim Palladium operates in a vacuum, grew up in a vacuum, or is the only game in town is idiotic.
Axelmania
Knight

Especially since 2 games were based on a popular comic and a popular anime remake and in Ultimate Edition I think Kev mentioned something about Bubblegum Crisis.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Axelmania wrote:Especially since 2 games were based on a popular comic and a popular anime remake and in Ultimate Edition I think Kev mentioned something about Bubblegum Crisis.

can you tell me where he talked about BGC?
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Axelmania wrote:Especially since 2 games were based on a popular comic and a popular anime remake and in Ultimate Edition I think Kev mentioned something about Bubblegum Crisis.

can you tell me where he talked about BGC?

MoP or early rifter
Wild be my guess.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
barna10
Hero

Unread post by barna10 »

And let's not forget the Elemental Fusionist...which came from a video game...
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

barna10 wrote:And let's not forget the Elemental Fusionist...which came from a video game...

Which came from the pen and paper game...
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
barna10
Hero

Unread post by barna10 »

eliakon wrote:
barna10 wrote:And let's not forget the Elemental Fusionist...which came from a video game...

Which came from the pen and paper game...

Exactly my point, crossed influences
Axelmania
Knight

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:can you tell me where he talked about BGC?

Page 70 under Game Designer's Secrets: "When I discovered the animated Japanese TV show Bubble Gum Crisis had mechanized villains called Boomers, I changed the character's name to Glitter Boy"

1st edition of Rifts came out August 1990 when 7 of the 8 episodes had come out in Japan, but the fun thing is that the English-subtitled VHS/laserdiscs from AnimeEigo did not come out in North America until 1991, and the English audio dubbing wasn't done until 1994.

This led me to think KS had a bunch of anime connections hearing about stuff before it got translated, or was watching fansubs, but just now realized a more probable explanation is that he probably filed for the "Boomers" copyright and maybe AnimEigo already had trademarked it in preparation for their release?

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”