Spell For Making Minions

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Spell For Making Minions

Unread post by The Beast »

Is there a spell that creates temporary manual laborers, or do you have to summon something for that? Not looking for anything that can put up a fight, just a magic version of Northern Gun's labor bots. I also don't care which setting it's from (except for CE since I don't have any of the books).
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Re: Spell For Making Minions

Unread post by Glistam »

The spell in Path of the Storm is pretty much exactly what you are looking for.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Duration might be an issue and you generally need someone (or thing) to work these on, but here are some temporary minions that can come to mind w/o summoning:
Animate & Control Dead (Wizard), dead minions
Sculpt & Animate Clay Animals (Level 7 Earth Elemental), create them from clay (can even enhance them)
Charismatic Aura (Wizard), possibly
Trance (Wizard), though this might depend on what you want them to do
Charm (Wizard), possibly
Domination (Wizard)
Compulsion (Wizard)
Constrain Being (Wizard) and Control/Enslave Entity (Wizard), though need a SN creature present
Transformation
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Phantom Mount, a Level 9 Invocation from the Rifts Book of Magic, creates a Horse made from magical energy. It lasts 10 minutes per level and while it's intended to be ridden, the spell states: "As long as the spell caster stays within 40 feet of the Phantom Mount, the magical energy construct remains in this world and obeys its creator's every command; simple commands identical to those one might use on a normal horse or riding animal." So you have some ability to command it to do labor.

Magic Warrior, a Level 10 Invocation from the Rifts Book of Magic, creates a semi-Illusionary warrior from magical energy. It only lasts 30 seconds per level but with the spell Illusion Booster that duration could be doubled. It's intended to be a warrior but the spell states: "The Warrior is completely under the mage's mental control, but does not require his concentration to maintain it, provided it is given a clear and simple command". The given examples are combat-related, but I could see making this thing move boulders or dig a hole or something.

Animate Dead, Create Mummy, and Create Zombie would also meet your criteria, though perhaps not in the way intended.

Create Golem would also work, and be less distasteful then the spells which involve the remains of the dead.

Out of all the summoning spells, I would think the Level 12 Summon and Control Entity would be the least distasteful to a spellcaster who needs manual labor performed. Summon a tectonic entity, have it construct a body, and put it to work. Just make sure to send it back before the duration of the spell expires.

Warrior Horde is a Spell of Legend from the Rifts Book of Magic that summons 20 Magic Warriors per level. Otherwise that's basically the same -duration, control notes, etcetera.

There are two spells from Nazcan Line Magic, Lesser Animal Drawing and Monster Drawing, which will create a specific animal or monster from magical energy. The construct is under the control of the caster but each has a duration of only minutes.

Nazcan Line Magic has a secret spell not typically shared with novices or outsiders called Warrior Pattern. This construct lasts for one day per level, but good luck convincing your G.M. to let you have it unless you're a Nazcan Line Maker level 6 or higher.

From Palladium Fantasy, there's a couple interesting options. The main book offers Monster Insect, a Level 9 spell which lasts five minutes per level. It basically turns an insect horse-sized and makes it obey simple instructions. Certainly less distasteful than summoning entities, elementals, demons, or animating dead bodies. I mean, who really cares that much about bugs, anyway?

The spell of legend from Palladium Fantasy called Doppleganger: Superior creates a magical clone of yourself. I think there's a lesser version in older books too, but I don't know where that one is.

Create Magic Manakin from the Mysteries of Magic book is a fun variant to the Golem spell.

From Path of the Storm, the spell I was thinking of earlier was Create Rubble Golem. As I recall, that creation lasts for three days and you can create multiple ones at once. It's missing a spell level but I think I would place it somewhere around Level 9 through Level 12.

The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

I'm not sure the animated dead would be as smart and autonomous as I'd like. I'm sure they could handle clearing land or digging trenches, but if I was wanting them to build a wall I'm pretty sure I'd have to micro-manage them the entire time to make sure they got it right. Plus I'm fairly sure I couldn't direct them to build a house if I don't have the carpentry skill.

I also don't see the magic warriors or Warrior Horde being much useful outside of combat.

I was told in a couple other spots that earth elementals would be a good idea, but I'd run into the same limitations skill-wise as I do with zombies.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

So you're looking for a spell that will allow you to create intelligent, autonomous laborers with professional construction skills? I don't believe such a spell exists.

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

The Beast wrote:I'm not sure the animated dead would be as smart and autonomous as I'd like. I'm sure they could handle clearing land or digging trenches, but if I was wanting them to build a wall I'm pretty sure I'd have to micro-manage them the entire time to make sure they got it right. Plus I'm fairly sure I couldn't direct them to build a house if I don't have the carpentry skill.

I also don't see the magic warriors or Warrior Horde being much useful outside of combat.

I was told in a couple other spots that earth elementals would be a good idea, but I'd run into the same limitations skill-wise as I do with zombies.

Make a variant of Magic Warriors.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

The Beast wrote:I'm not sure the animated dead would be as smart and autonomous as I'd like. I'm sure they could handle clearing land or digging trenches, but if I was wanting them to build a wall I'm pretty sure I'd have to micro-manage them the entire time to make sure they got it right. Plus I'm fairly sure I couldn't direct them to build a house if I don't have the carpentry skill.

My earlier list was looking at non-summoning type magic (which I would include Mystic Warrior, Phantom Mount as) or ones that result in permanency (Zombie, Mummy, Golem). I also avoided things like the Conjurer or Tattoo magic, as they might be close to "summoned", though either of them could conjure creatures ideal for building possibly.

Skills maybe lacking, but intelligence is there. Zombie description mentions driving car (no skill) shooting a gun (penalty, no skill), and can read (no skill) and perform simple tasks (guess you have to decide if X-task is to complicated or if you can break it down so it is simple). Also ""Horror stories in Haiti whisper of entire sugar can plantations worked by zombie laborers"- (Create Zombie description in RMB, BoM, and RUE).

Have a TW create a "Instill Knowledge" device (uses the Level 5 Wizard Invocation spell by that name) into a Zombie (or other). The specifics of said device would need to be worked out. But it would make them smarter.

IINM there are a variety of magical structures that can be built either temporary or permanent (or done so): like Cloud Magic (Cloud Castle WB14/Bom), Nazca Line Magic (in history text, not sure about specific), various Wall Spells (Elemental and Wizard types abound, but are temporary so need a way to make them permanent), Rifter 9.5 (unofficial IINM) had Card Magic structures IIRC. With examples like this, you might just need a spell variation.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”