Rifts Nega-Psychic being impaled on Yggdrassil

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

barna10
Hero
Comment: Started playing Palladium in 1990.

Rifts Nega-Psychic being impaled on Yggdrassil

Unread post by barna10 »

Curious, and this is purely hypothetical, how would you handle a Nega Psychic from Rifts that got impaled on Yggdrasil and survived the Gift of Knowledge?

He doesn't suffer from the BTS version's total obviousness to Magic/Paranormal, and there really isn't anything preventing him from being magical.

Also, if you take Psyscape as written, it's an RCC. RAW the Nega-Psychic could simply take a class, maybe become a Mystic? Heck, what about a Sea Inquisitor?

What do you think?
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Rifts Nega-Psychic being impaled on Yggdrassil

Unread post by eliakon »

Personally?
I would say that they are not open to the supernatural and thus are not open to receiving the information.
If they do the ritual they end up tired, sore, hungry.....and no wiser.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
barna10
Hero

Unread post by barna10 »

eliakon wrote:Personally?
I would say that they are not open to the supernatural and thus are not open to receiving the information.
If they do the ritual they end up tired, sore, hungry.....and no wiser.

They can choose to open themselves to the Supernatural (Psyscape Page 58, R.C.C. Abilities, 1. Closed to the Supernatural, second paragraph)
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

barna10 wrote:Curious, and this is purely hypothetical, how would you handle a Nega Psychic from Rifts that got impaled on Yggdrasil and survived the Gift of Knowledge?

He doesn't suffer from the BTS version's total obviousness to Magic/Paranormal, and there really isn't anything preventing him from being magical.

Also, if you take Psyscape as written, it's an RCC. RAW the Nega-Psychic could simply take a class, maybe become a Mystic? Heck, what about a Sea Inquisitor?

What do you think?

He would gain the knowlege of the spells but would still lack the PPE required to cast anything, sinse their instinctive attacking of PPE with anti-PPE would effect their own magic as well, and the gift of knowlege dosn't give additional PPE.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

I say run it, asks with the LLW abilities I wound give the character the ppe base and increase per level.
Ultimate Counter Spell.

Nicely Done.
barna10
Hero

Unread post by barna10 »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
barna10 wrote:Curious, and this is purely hypothetical, how would you handle a Nega Psychic from Rifts that got impaled on Yggdrasil and survived the Gift of Knowledge?

What do you think?

He would gain the knowlege of the spells but would still lack the PPE required to cast anything, sinse their instinctive attacking of PPE with anti-PPE would effect their own magic as well, and the gift of knowlege dosn't give additional PPE.

1st, they get PPE (PEx2 + 1D6 per level)
2nd, they're PPE attacking is not reactive, they choose to use it (see Rifts Psyscape)

So, not seeing a problem.
barna10
Hero

Unread post by barna10 »

say652 wrote:I say run it, asks with the LLW abilities I wound give the character the ppe base and increase per level.
Ultimate Counter Spell.

Nicely Done.

Thanks
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

The 1st edition Beyond Nega-Psychic would have a problem since they don't believe in magic so they wouldn't bother to use the knowledge they gained unless they had a massive opinion change. They also can't turn off their negative energy so any PPE they had would be wasted on it before it could be used on a spell.

The Rifts Nega-Psychic (whether natural or via implant) would have no problems.

The 2nd edition Beyond Nega-Psychic would have the same problems as first edition (no belief) plus the problem of spells costing 50% more PPE...

Plus there's additional penalties when a Nega-Psychic is actually part of a group ritual. I don't really understand how those work (it switches between talking about 1 PPE negating 4 PPE to spells costing 4x as much... which is TOTALLY different) but it seems like it would not apply so long as the Nega-Psychic was casting spells alone in the normal fashion and not using rituals. Which they wouldn't do in their natural form, unless they took on a Rifts Nega-Psychic view of magic actually existing.
barna10
Hero

Unread post by barna10 »

Axelmania wrote:The 1st edition Beyond Nega-Psychic would have a problem since they don't believe in magic so they wouldn't bother to use the knowledge they gained unless they had a massive opinion change. They also can't turn off their negative energy so any PPE they had would be wasted on it before it could be used on a spell.

The Rifts Nega-Psychic (whether natural or via implant) would have no problems.

The 2nd edition Beyond Nega-Psychic would have the same problems as first edition (no belief) plus the problem of spells costing 50% more PPE...

Plus there's additional penalties when a Nega-Psychic is actually part of a group ritual. I don't really understand how those work (it switches between talking about 1 PPE negating 4 PPE to spells costing 4x as much... which is TOTALLY different) but it seems like it would not apply so long as the Nega-Psychic was casting spells alone in the normal fashion and not using rituals. Which they wouldn't do in their natural form, unless they took on a Rifts Nega-Psychic view of magic actually existing.

Yes, would not attempt with any other than the Rifts Nega-Psychic.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

What do you think?

I'd say that even with the Rifts Nega-Psychic, their anti-magic arrogance would keep them from benefiting from the World Tree ritual, and it would keep them from changing to any magic OCC... UNLESS they sacrificed all their Nega-Psychic powers.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
barna10
Hero

Unread post by barna10 »

Killer Cyborg wrote:I'd say that even with the Rifts Nega-Psychic, their anti-magic arrogance would keep them from benefiting from the World Tree ritual, and it would keep them from changing to any magic OCC... UNLESS they sacrificed all their Nega-Psychic powers.

No problem with that interpretation, and I think it would apply to 99% of Nega-Psychics, but don't agree about the loss of powers. The loss of powers seems appropriate for any version EXCEPT the Rifts one since their powers are contingent on belief (or ignorance), but the Rifts version's powers are really no different than any other psychic's.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

barna10 wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:I'd say that even with the Rifts Nega-Psychic, their anti-magic arrogance would keep them from benefiting from the World Tree ritual, and it would keep them from changing to any magic OCC... UNLESS they sacrificed all their Nega-Psychic powers.

No problem with that interpretation, and I think it would apply to 99% of Nega-Psychics, but don't agree about the loss of powers. The loss of powers seems appropriate for any version EXCEPT the Rifts one since their powers are contingent on belief (or ignorance), but the Rifts version's powers are really no different than any other psychic's.

In Rifts, their powers are founded on arrogance, a belief that they are better than magic.
Or I'm misremembering.

Edit:
Psyscape 57
The Nega-Psychic of Rifts Earth has effectively adapted to this magic and supernatural environment. The Nega-Psychic accepts that such things "are" real, but he is still a skeptic of sorts, and is extremely strong-willed. In this case, he refuses to accept that such forces can control, dominate, or destroy him. This makes the Nega-Psychic a defiant, impudent rebel who is the antagonist of the supernatural...
Last edited by Killer Cyborg on Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

barna10 wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

What do you think?

1st, they get PPE (PEx2 + 1D6 per level)
2nd, they're PPE attacking is not reactive, they choose to use it (see Rifts Psyscape)

So, not seeing a problem.

Musta confused them with psi-nullifiers then :D
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Agrees with Eli.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Axelmania
Knight

Nega-Psychics should change OCC to Ley Line Walker.

Even if you don't want to cast spells, being able to refuel your PPE at high-speed at ley lines would let you counter more magic.

I bet you could even get away with this in the Coalition States since your Nega-Psychic powers would protect from Dog Boys sensing you as a mage. Just so long as you didn't cast any spells around them you should be safe.

I bet when the Vanguard are targetting master psis, they prioritize Nega-Psychics for recruitment for this reason. Make them realize they can get away with it, get them on film casting a spell, now you control them.
barna10
Hero

Unread post by barna10 »

Axelmania wrote:I bet when the Vanguard are targetting master psis, they prioritize Nega-Psychics for recruitment for this reason. Make them realize they can get away with it, get them on film casting a spell, now you control them.

Very cool tactic. Only problem I see is how do they track and blackmail one that went to ground and hid from them?
Killer Cyborg
Priest

And, again, Nega-Psychics are antagonists of the supernatural.
Learning magic wouldn't be on their To Do list.

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I ran into a similar conundrum, an Atlanta Tattoo man survived the tree ordeal.
Has vast magical knowledge but cannot cast spells or use any of those spiffy magical abilities.

I would GM house rule, the same limits would apply to the Nega but nice enough to give the LLW ppe base and ppe per level.

Definitely upping the spell negating ability and increasing the psychics magical knowledge.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Where does it say that the ritual grants any of the PPE or other abilities of the Ley Line Walker?
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

eliakon wrote:Where does it say that the ritual grants any of the PPE or other abilities of the Ley Line Walker?

First have you read pantheons?
The answer is in the section above the insanity percentages.

Second, ppe is listed as a LLW ability, in the LLW occ description.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

say652 wrote:
eliakon wrote:Where does it say that the ritual grants any of the PPE or other abilities of the Ley Line Walker?

First have you read pantheons?
The answer is in the section above the insanity percentages.

Second, ppe is listed as a LLW ability, in the LLW occ description.

Yes I read it
2. the character gains all the Ley Line Walker O.C.C. abilities regarding ley lines.
PPE isn't a ley line. RMB terms (when this was written) you get abilities #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, and #7. You do not get #8, #9, #10, or #11 (PPE). In RUE terms this would be #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, and #9. You still would not get #10, #11, #12 (PPE), or #13.

If you didn't have PPE before hand then it sucks to be you. Hopefully what ever tiny amount a non-caster has before performing this is sufficient for their purposes.
Or I guess a kind GM could house rule that they are going to be generous and just grant you additional PPE so you can use your nifty new powers....that works too I suppose.

Axelmania
Knight

Killer Cyborg wrote:And, again, Nega-Psychics are antagonists of the supernatural.
Learning magic wouldn't be on their To Do list.

The Vanguard are also antagonists of the supernatural :) Fight Fire with Fire. You might become a mage to learn Anti-Magic Cloud just to protect people from magic. Rifts' Conversion Book originally gave "same as the spell" versions of negate magic, dispel magic barriers, detect concealment and turn dead, could see them learning spells like that for real, particularly as a mystic.

barna10 wrote:how do they track and blackmail one that went to ground and hid from them?

Traditional skills I guess. But you don't actually need to find them to send anonymous proof to the CS of their involvement with magic. Ending their career is the threat, not getting them captured.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”