Parapsychologists casting spells

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

barna10
Hero
Comment: Started playing Palladium in 1990.

Parapsychologists casting spells

Unread post by barna10 »

Do you (the reader) ever allow Parapsychologists to learn spells? If so, do you allow them to learn invocations? Rituals? How about circles or wards? What have you done in your games?
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Re: Parapsychologists casting spells

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

From books and scrolls only...
No learning spells that is the bailiwick of mages only.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

It's never come up. However, I absolutely would...after they went through the arduous task of changing classes to add one that can learn spellcasting. Though they're not technically a parapsychologist at that point.
barna10
Hero

Unread post by barna10 »

I was specifically thinking of allowing a Parapsychologist with the Ritual Sorcerous Proficiency to cast Rituals. It is implied in several different spots that the Parapsychologist could cast spells (ie is allowed to take Sorcerous Proficiencies) and then it is contradicted in other spots that he cannot cast spells.
thorr-kan
Adventurer

Unread post by thorr-kan »

barna10 wrote:I was specifically thinking of allowing a Parapsychologist with the Ritual Sorcerous Proficiency to cast Rituals. It is implied in several different spots that the Parapsychologist could cast spells (ie is allowed to take Sorcerous Proficiencies) and then it is contradicted in other spots that he cannot cast spells.

I'm with this.

Provide the mechanism, and the Parapsychologist can cast spells. Sorcerous Proficiencies are that mechanism. This is specifically called out on p24 of TtGD. So would spell scrolls (or other media), wards, runes, or potions.

For myself, I'd allow anyone with an appropriate backstory and skill choices to pickup these Sorcerous Proficiencies. 4 spells of levels 1-4 are not going to overwhelm any man of magic's spotlight. "Oh, you think you're a real mage? How cute. Now hold still while I eat your soul."
I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
-The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/ ... challenge/
barna10
Hero

Unread post by barna10 »

thorr-kan wrote:
barna10 wrote:I was specifically thinking of allowing a Parapsychologist with the Ritual Sorcerous Proficiency to cast Rituals. It is implied in several different spots that the Parapsychologist could cast spells (ie is allowed to take Sorcerous Proficiencies) and then it is contradicted in other spots that he cannot cast spells.

I'm with this.

Provide the mechanism, and the Parapsychologist can cast spells. Sorcerous Proficiencies are that mechanism. This is specifically called out on p24 of TtGD. So would spell scrolls (or other media), wards, runes, or potions.

For myself, I'd allow anyone with an appropriate backstory and skill choices to pickup these Sorcerous Proficiencies. 4 spells of levels 1-4 are not going to overwhelm any man of magic's spotlight. "Oh, you think you're a real mage? How cute. Now hold still while I eat your soul."

Thanks

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”