Dimensional Teleport rules

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

barna10
Hero
Comment: Started playing Palladium in 1990.

Dimensional Teleport rules

Unread post by barna10 »

Is Dimensional Teleport spelled out somewhere?
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Dimensional Teleport rules

Unread post by eliakon »

barna10 wrote:Is Dimensional Teleport spelled out somewhere?

What are you looking for exactly?
The spell is described in several books. There are slightly different (line specific basically) versions in the Rifts Conversion Book, Heroes Unlimited Game Masters Guide, Palladium Fantasy core book, and the Rifts Book of Magic, and possibly others.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

In terms of RCC powers, I think Dragons' probably got the most focus. When other stuff like demons have it should it work the same?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

barna10 wrote:Is Dimensional Teleport spelled out somewhere?

Several places in several ways. It turns out Dimensional Teleport is a generic power that works differently depending on what kind it is.

Some beings can only use the power on a Nexus (like dragon hatchlings)

Some can use it anytime, anywhere (Like greater demons)

Some can only use it to return to specific dimensions (like certain lesser demons who can dimensionally teleport back to their home hell but no other places)

Some require a charge-up time, others need only one melee attack.

and the spell does it's own thing with little relation to any of the above.

Basically What I THINK you are looking for are the cases where a beings power listings say "Dimensional teleport *arbitrary percentage chance here*" and no other details. in which case it's "Dimensionally teleport to any location in any dimension they've been to before, except the one they are currently on, takes one melee attack to try. failure means they wasted an attack".

Yes, it's an absurdly useful power as it's basically a free escape from any situation. That's why beings with an innate dimensional teleport that were generally intended for players to play (like dragon hatchlings and titans) got stuck with the nexus requirement, to make it not a get out of jail free card for the player. more powerful beings not intended to be player characters generally get to use it whenever and wherever they want, and escape from the party to return later to torment them again.

Do note that while you cannot use it to teleport to another location on the same dimension you are currently on, if you are familiar with more than one dimension (Say, rifts earth and phase world), nothing stops you from say, dimensionally teleporting from the Three galaxies to Rifts Earth, then back to the three galaxies in another location than where you started. as long as it's to a world you've been to already you can slingshot across dimensions to world hop easially.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
barna10
Hero

Unread post by barna10 »

Thanks. My take on it as well, but is this actually written down anywhere?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

barna10 wrote:Thanks. My take on it as well, but is this actually written down anywhere?

Which one? As I said, there are multiple variants. look each one under it's own entry.

I mean, what kind of detail are you looking for. It's Dimensional Teleport. with a %. Spend attack, roll percent, if successful teleport to where you want to go in another dimension. I'm not sure what detail you think is missing, because palladium's never published more information than that on it.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
barna10
Hero

Unread post by barna10 »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
barna10 wrote:Thanks. My take on it as well, but is this actually written down anywhere?

Which one? As I said, there are multiple variants. look each one under it's own entry.

I mean, what kind of detail are you looking for. It's Dimensional Teleport. with a %. Spend attack, roll percent, if successful teleport to where you want to go in another dimension. I'm not sure what detail you think is missing, because palladium's never published more information than that on it.

Just making sure there is nothing canon before I dictate my own rules. Thanks
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mouser13 »

Also I thought the location was random unless you have sanctuary in the planet. Seem to remember conversion book saying something about that?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Mouser13 wrote:Also I thought the location was random unless you have sanctuary in the planet. Seem to remember conversion book saying something about that?

Yes, that's the spell that I already pointed out has no relation to various dargons and demons and supernatural beigns innate abilities.

Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mouser13 »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Mouser13 wrote:Also I thought the location was random unless you have sanctuary in the planet. Seem to remember conversion book saying something about that?

Yes, that's the spell that I already pointed out has no relation to various dargons and demons and supernatural beigns innate abilities.

Yes, but then how do you target their no information in the power? Are you just assuming that you can choice where you want in that dimension? Nothing says does it?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Mouser13 wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

Yes, but then how do you target their no information in the power? Are you just assuming that you can choice where you want in that dimension? Nothing says does it?

Are you just assuming that the spell is related to the ability? My argument is that unless a power says explicitly that its target is not controllable, you can pick the target. Just like you can pick the target of other abilities that do not say you cannot choose targets.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”