Advancing the Blue Zone Mage

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

barna10
Hero
Comment: Started playing Palladium in 1990.

Advancing the Blue Zone Mage

Unread post by barna10 »

What would happen to a Blue Zone mage that made it to Rifts or PF world and received some real magic tutelage? How would you change the class?

I think the obvious changes are removing the 15 spells per 12 hour restriction, being able to cast spells away from Blue Zones, and the build up of a P.P.E. reserve. What do you think?
Axelmania
Knight

Re: Advancing the Blue Zone Mage

Unread post by Axelmania »

I would just use the Dual OCC rules and change them to a Rifts magic OCC. They'd be natural candidates for Ley Line Walker or the new Ley Line Rifter in Ultimate Edition.

Alistair Dunscon switched from Ley Line Walker to Shifter, Nostrous Dunscon switched from Ley Line Walker to Temporal Wizard, may as well have BZ Mages switch too.
barna10
Hero

Unread post by barna10 »

I am thinking of working up a conversion to allow the character to remain a Blue Zone Mage. I like him being different. This one will specifically go from HU to Chaos Earth to Rifts and back (narrated origin)
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

barna10 wrote:What would happen to a Blue Zone mage that made it to Rifts or PF world and received some real magic tutelage? How would you change the class?

I think the obvious changes are removing the 15 spells per 12 hour restriction, being able to cast spells away from Blue Zones, and the build up of a P.P.E. reserve. What do you think?

To get out from under the Blue Zone Mage restrictions they would have to change class.
Both PF and Rifts follow the same changing class rules (the PF changing class rules), with the same limitations about which CC's they cover as seen from the PF PoV.

Base PPE, the char start receiving the new class's level ups once the char exceeded their old level.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
barna10
Hero

Unread post by barna10 »

This actually sounds fine, and a ton less work.

I think I'll allow the character to keep getting Chaos Magic though. It adds to the character concept.
Axelmania
Knight

Where does it talk about the PPE you get? Most OCC change rules I find ignore it.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Axelmania wrote:Where does it talk about the PPE you get? Most OCC change rules I find ignore it.

It doesn't.
But since you are gaining a level in the OCC (going from level 0 to level 1) you should get your level up PPE.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Axelmania
Knight

Agreed, although maybe you should get the base too since everyone starts with the base at first level? Would begin to explain the high PPE of Alistair Dunscon and Inglix the Mad.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Axelmania wrote:Agreed, although maybe you should get the base too since everyone starts with the base at first level? Would begin to explain the high PPE of Alistair Dunscon and Inglix the Mad.

The base is what you got for developing magic from childhood. You already got your base.
There are several ways to increase a persons PPE base (I can think of several off hand using just printed material) And the simple fact that super high PPE scores are not the norm, even for multi-class mages suggests the opposite in fact....
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Axelmania wrote:Agreed, although maybe you should get the base too since everyone starts with the base at first level? Would begin to explain the high PPE of Alistair Dunscon and Inglix the Mad.

Because they were written that way to be the powerful opponents to the CS.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Axelmania
Knight

Do we have any examples of multi-class mage NPCs with very low PPE which proves they could not have stacked bases?

Or anything saying not to include the base for a 2nd OCC?
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Axelmania wrote:Do we have any examples of multi-class mage NPCs with very low PPE which proves they could not have stacked bases?

Or anything saying not to include the base for a 2nd OCC?

Well there isn't anything to say you DO get a base. And since you do not seem to get the 'base' HP over and over again, it seems odd to argue you should get the base PPE. Especially since that base is described as the effect of practice and maintaining the high pool from childhood and then adding to it slowly. It would seem like if you could just add a few hundred PPE by class changing, then everyone would take two levels in something(with a huge base) and then switch to their 'real class' to get the free massive boost to PPE....

Axelmania
Knight

HP is not a factor of the OCC, PPE base is.

Getting a new magic OCC is like getting 3rd level in it, it's not easy, and there is time, finding a teacher, often paying the teacher, all to take into consideration. It could be the best choice but not the most feasible.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”