TK Bullet

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Talon Starblade
Wanderer

TK Bullet

Unread post by Talon Starblade »

Ok, I'm not exactly looking for an official ruling here just discussion and maybe some ideas, hence posting here:

So, the TK Bullet Mechanic power from Beyond the Supernatural 2nd Ed, if entering an alternate setting (for that setting's psychic) would it be considered Physical or Super-psionic power?

How about some of the others?
Let the world tremble, for my imagination LIVES!
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: TK Bullet

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

I'm not familiar with Beyond the Supernatural, so I would suggest looking for a similar power and using its classification. TK Acceleration Attack (RUE has it as Super, though in Psycape it is Physical) or Mind Bolt (Super) could both be similar to how the power works.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

If the Bullet stays SD it could possibly remain a minor power (though I would limit it to the same type of psis.....operators, psi-mechanics, zappers, etc) If it can make MD bullets that is definitely a Major Power (it will also need some tweaking since the damage/ISP/Duration are a bit out there compared to other MD attacks)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

eliakon wrote:If the Bullet stays SD it could possibly remain a minor power (though I would limit it to the same type of psis.....operators, psi-mechanics, zappers, etc) If it can make MD bullets that is definitely a Major Power (it will also need some tweaking since the damage/ISP/Duration are a bit out there compared to other MD attacks)

While I agree that for MD attacks the power would need some tweaking, TK Acceleration Attack originally appeared as a Physical Power in Psyscape, and could do MD.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

13eowulf wrote:
eliakon wrote:If the Bullet stays SD it could possibly remain a minor power (though I would limit it to the same type of psis.....operators, psi-mechanics, zappers, etc) If it can make MD bullets that is definitely a Major Power (it will also need some tweaking since the damage/ISP/Duration are a bit out there compared to other MD attacks)

While I agree that for MD attacks the power would need some tweaking, TK Acceleration Attack originally appeared as a Physical Power in Psyscape, and could do MD.

True. But TK Acceleration Attack couldn't be created in advance, then stored up. Nor can TKAA be fired in bursts.

To be honest I would personally call the power a Super Psi and be done with it. The power is pretty impressive as written and since there is no division between minor and super in BTS2 it is obvious that some of the powers would be super psi in other settings.

I would also radically change the pricing scheme (Working out a fair price so far has eluded me though.)
One issue is that the BTS2 game has a completely different feel to it, and combat is not the focus. Often there may only be one or two battles, usually climatic ones. And finding appropriate weapons is pretty difficult....so pure combat powers are actually less useful in BTS2 than in some settings. Combined with the much lower ISP reserves of people in BTS2 this ability is not used very often.... In Rifts however combat is the main focus...which means that pure combat abilities are more valuable, and with the much higher ISP pools, and the various ways to get ISP back faster it will see a lot more use.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

eliakon wrote:In Rifts however combat is the main focus...

I would expect this to vary from group to group and from campaign to campaign.
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

flatline wrote:
eliakon wrote:In Rifts however combat is the main focus...

I would expect this to vary from group to group and from campaign to campaign.

Okay, how about I be more specific.
The way the system is set up, combat power is the main prioritized focus of the setting.
This is why the most common gear is weapons and armor, the majority of the spells and psionic powers are combat based, etc.
Yes, the focus of individual games is always what the group makes of it. You can have any sort play style in any sort of game. But the rules systems tend to be set up to privilege certain things over others. This is what I meant.

In BTS the investigative abilities, skills, gear, and powers far outstrip the combat ones. In Rifts the reverse is true.
Thus the reasoning that a very powerful, but cheap combat power would be a good fit into (most) Rifts game is dubious to me.

Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. I'm at work so I don't have my books, and when I'm home I keep forgetting to check but... Doesn't the Psi-Slinger have some kind of power(s) that might help emulate this? Granted, that would be a specific class ability, but could still be a good starting point. Hope that helps. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

I think there is also a class in Rifts China 2 who has gun-related abilities and can do something like this.
Talon Starblade
Wanderer

Unread post by Talon Starblade »

Thank you all for the tips and suggestions. They really helped.
Let the world tremble, for my imagination LIVES!

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”