Homebrewed Kitsune race help me balance it and finish it.

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SpiritKitsune7
D-Bee

Homebrewed Kitsune race help me balance it and finish it.

Unread post by SpiritKitsune7 »

Hi all, I am new to homebrewing gaming stuff. Can you people help me finish and balance my new race? I hope this character ends up in a Palladium book. My dream is to write gamebooks someday when I finish earning a college writing degree. I have an Idea for a gamebook series that will rival Star Wars.

Here is my homebrewed race.

Kitsune
These shape shifters are now showing up on Rifts Earth and throughout the mega-verse since 84 PA. No one knows where they might be coming from. Scientists are not sure if they are werefoxes, Fey like creatures or both. These Kitsune are Fox humanoids with lean human-like bodies with fox fur, head, ears, and tails. They are friendly tricksters that are loyal to their friends and family. They are magical in nature. Their culture is similar to ancient Japan. Kitsune born with white fur and blue or crimson eyes are chosen to be priests. Kitsune with Golden fur and eyes are always priests that have a great destiny chosen by their god Inari. Kitsunes are intelligent, cunning, and beautiful.
Alignment: Any
Attributes: IQ: 4d6, ME: 3d6, MA: 4d6, SNPS: 3d6, PP: 3d6, SNPE: 3d6+6, PB: 3d6+8, SPD: 3d6+4.
Size: 5.4 to 6.2 Feet tall and one-meter long tail or tails.
Weight: 180 to 220 pounds.
MDC: 250 +PE, +2d6 per level.
PPE: 3d6x10, +10 per level.
Awe Factor: 14, if golden change it to 18.
RCC skills: Faerie, Goblety, and two language skills all at 89%, Land Navigation, Dance, Sing, Grooming, Seduction, prowl, palming, and pickpocket taken with +20% skill proficiency.
Natural abilities: Night vision 100 feet, Bio Regenerate 5d6 MDC per hour, Metamorphosis: Human at will no cost, Resistant to all harmful magic (half damage, effects, and duration), they have the same Immunities and Vulnerabilities as a werecreature but they have the magic resistance above.
Magical Tails: at level one Kitsunes start out with one tail and gain’s another tail at levels 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 15. When a Kitsune gains a new tail he/she add a spell on this list to her list of spells automatically in the following order, Lantern Light, Concealment, Charismatic Aura, D-Phase, Foxes Lantern, Dimensional Pockets, Talisman, and level 14-15 tail spells are free to choose.
Kitsunes can take any magic OCC's at level 1, They prefer one’s that can trick people, Priests, Mystic Ninja’s, and any other magic OCC. They stay away ones that enslave permanently and pure evil magic.
Foxes Lantern
Range 50 feet: can lighten up a room.
Duration: 1 hour per level of the spellcaster.
Saving Throw: none/standard.
P.P.E. cost not determined yet.
This spell is similar to the lantern light spell. You summon 3 metal Japanese lanterns that you and your friends can move with their minds. The lanterns have an evil red glow or a small dancing Kitsune or a flying dragon made of color changing lightning in it. You can move each lantern any distance apart from each other. It can float anywhere between 50 feet from a friendly person you designate to be linked to one of the lanterns. The lanterns constantly use Turn Undead with no extra costs. You can spend 20 P.P.E. to make everyone in the light of the lanterns to be healed as if someone casts Heal wounds on themselves. The standard save is for the Turn Undead spell.
SpiritKitsune7
D-Bee

Re: Homebrewed Kitsune race help me balance it and finish it

My friend thinks that the magic resistance is too powerful. Should I remove it? Should my creature be S.D.C. or M.D.C.? This creature has aspects of Fairy Folk and were creatures. How much should the spell cost?
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

Balance isn't really a concern for Rifts classes. If you like it and your GM will let you play it, enjoy yourself. That said, if you're going to give it werebeast style invulnerability, it should have hit points rather than MDC and should be vulnerable to some form of mundane attack. In mythology kitsune are vulnerable to blessed items and faith. Magical beings typically don't have the option of taking an OCC either, they will have a set of skills that all members of the race possess with only a few choices. Look at the were creatures and fairy folk as examples.

30 PPE would be adequate for that spell, in my opinion. The duration is quite long though and placing the lanterns under the control of allies would be unique.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Don't just make a list of things. That makes the paragrafe chunky. Make them flow together. I've rewritten a few lines to show what I mean....
:D :D :D and for the fun of it.
Don't worry if you are having to keep rewrite thing a few times.

These shapeshifting creatures of magic have been showing up through out the known dimensions for the past 38 years. No one knows what sort of world they are coming from and those that have studied them know not if they are more like full fairy folk or if they are related to were-foxes.
....snip...
These magical humanoids with lean fox like features are friendly tricksters that hold fast to their Kith and Kin. In what communities that they have built since their arrival show a great similarity to the culture of ancient japan.
...snip...
Kitsune born blue or red eyes and white fur. Those with red eyes are chosen to be priests of Inari. Those rare kitsune born with gold fur are said to have a great destiny set for them and are also trained as priests. Along with being Tricksters, Kitsune are naturally intelligent, cunning and stunningly beautiful.

note how I added stunningly to the text....did this because of the Awe Factor in the stats. Which I would lower each by at least 5 points.
-------
Since it is a Race, then it is more proper to say Racial Skills.
-------
Psionics??
can they be a PCC?
do they get a ISP bonus if they are?
If they can not have psionics, how are psionic based magic CC's like Mystics affected? Like the NB mystics, mostly just striping all the psionics out of the class?
-------
PPE: I take it that the racial PPE overwrites any magic OCC's listed PPE.....?
-------
If they are like Were-people then they should be HP beings like them?
As it is, they have a high DC for a race to have that also has the were-people immunities along with the magical resistance to be in balance.
Maybe something like....
SDC: 50 with skills bonuses
HP: PEx2, +2d6 per level
Along with the magical resistance, all MD attacks only do SD to the Kitsune instead of the were-people immunities, but keep the venerability to silver and maybe cold iron/steel.
-------
If they are fey like Creatures of Magic, can they cast their tail related spells w/o using their personal PPE? (like how fairies & sprites cast their inherent magic?)
-------
Another bit of rewrite....
Kinsune may take any magic OCC to start. To go with their mischievous and cunning nature they normally pick magic types that let them trick people. Such as Trickster Mages and Mystic Ninjas.
-------
Size: 5 foot 4 inches to 6 foot 2 inches tall, with 3 feet long tails.
The submission text says not to abbreviate measurements.
Another point is that unless there is only one in a universe there will always be more then one tail that is 3 foot long. So just using the plural is aright and sounds smoother.
-------

The Foxes Lantern spell text needs some rewriting. Try to make them flow and change the PoV to objective third person instead of personal 2nd person.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
SpiritKitsune7
D-Bee

These shapeshifting creatures of magic have been showing up through out the known dimensions for the past 38 years. No one knows what sort of world they are coming from and those that have studied them know not if they are more like full fairy folk or if they are related to were-foxes. These magical humanoids with lean fox like features are friendly tricksters that hold fast to their Kith and Kin. In what communities that they have built since their arrival show a great similarity to the culture of ancient japan. Kitsune born blue or red eyes and white fur. Those with red eyes are chosen to be priests of Inari. Those rare kitsune born with gold fur are said to have a great destiny set for them and are also trained as priests. Along with being Tricksters, Kitsune are naturally intelligent, cunning and stunningly beautiful.

Alignment: Any
Attributes: IQ: 4d6, ME: 3d6, MA: 4d6, SNPS: 3d6, PP: 3d6, SNPE: 3d6+6, PB: 3d6+8, SPD: 3d6+4.
Size: 5 foot 4 inches to 6 foot 2 inches tall, with 3 feet long tails.
Weight: 180 to 220 pounds.
SDC:50 with skill bonuses, HP: PEx2, +2d6 per level.
PPE: 3d6x10, +10 per level.
ISP: 2d6x10, +8 per level.
Awe Factor: 9 (13 for a kitsune with Golden Fur)
Racial Skills: Faerie, Goblety, and two language skills all at 89%, Land Navigation, Dance, Sing, Grooming, Seduction, prowl, palming, and pickpocket taken with +20% skill proficiency.
Natural abilities: Night vision 100 feet, Bio Regenerate 5d6 SDC per hour, Metamorphosis: Human at will no cost, Resistant to all harmful magic (half damage, effects, and duration), and MDC magic/psionics only does SDC damage to Kitsunes.
Vulnerabilities: Silver, Cold Iron/steel,
Magical Tails: at level one Kitsunes start out with one tail and gain’s another tail at levels 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 15. When a Kitsune gains a new tail he/she add a spell on this list to her list of spells automatically in the following order, Lantern Light, Concealment, Charismatic Aura, D-Phase, Foxes Fire , Dimensional Pockets, Talisman, and level 14-15 tail spells are free to choose. The magical tails spells are free to cast at will due to their inherent magic.
Kinsune may take any magic or psionic OCC to start, that does not have racial restrictions. That go's with their mischievous and cunning nature they normally pick magic types that let them trick people. Such as Trickster Mages and Mystic Ninjas.
Last edited by SpiritKitsune7 on Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpiritKitsune7
D-Bee

Foxes Fire
Range: 50 feet, or near self.
Duration: 30 minutes per level of spell caster.
Saving Throw: none/standard.
P.P.E. to be decided

This spell summons three eerie red flames or golden holy flames that floats nearby like lantern lights. You and your allies can move these lights around with your and allies willpower. This spell allows you and your allies sacrifice any amount of these three lights to do 1d6 S.C.D. to a target and double damage to undead.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”