Teleport lesser

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SpiritInterface
Hero

Teleport lesser

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

I know that this has probably been asked and answered but in Teleport lesser it lists the duration as 30 seconds. Does this mean that the caster need to concentrate for 30 seconds on what he is teleporting? That he can teleport as many objects as he has actions in 30 seconds? or that he has up to 30 seconds to use the teleport?
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Teleport lesser

Unread post by Bill »

The caster has got 30 seconds to touch the non-living target that he or she wishes to transport.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

It takes 30 seconds for the teleported object to reach its destination.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Clearly there are differences in interpretation.

I've known GMs that ruled that it took 30 seconds to cast.
I've known GMs that ruled that the object teleports 30 seconds after the spell is cast.

Most GMs that I know ignore the duration description and house rule that the spell takes the normal amount of time to cast and that the object is teleported as soon as the spell is completed.
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Wether it takes 30 sec to cast or takes 30 to make the t-port is not absolutely clear. Even so, the words lean towards there being 30 sec. delay in the object arriving where it was sent.

Bill wrote:The caster has got 30 seconds to touch the non-living target that he or she wishes to transport.

I like this idea. And because of the particular wording on the duration and the rest of the spell text, there is no words that forbid a delayed action/activation after casting.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Bill wrote:The caster has got 30 seconds to touch the non-living target that he or she wishes to transport.

This is in line with the normal meaning of the term duration as used in the PB spell format.

The idea that there is a delay in the item's arrival at the location it is t-ported to is not mentioned nor excluded.

I believe the line "Up to 50 lbs can be instantly transported from the location of the spell weaver to any location miles away." to mean that there is no delay.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
flatline
Knight

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

This is in line with the normal meaning of the term duration as used in the PB spell format.

The idea that there is a delay in the item's arrival at the location it is t-ported to is not mentioned nor excluded.

Here's the text from RMB p177:

RMB p177 wrote:Duration: Requires two full melees (30 seconds)

That isn't worded like any other spell duration in the game that I'm aware of, but if you want to play it that way, it will certainly work.

I think the idea of a delay is excluded by the description. Again, from RMB p177:

RMB p177 wrote:...Up to 50lbs (22kg) can be instantly transported...

Note the bolded word.
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

My interpretation is that the spell requires 30 seconds of concentration and is an exception to the normal spell casting time requirement. Think of it as a mini-ritual. I find that to be the simplest explanation as well as being the easiest to implement.

Your mileage may vary.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
flatline
Knight

Mack wrote:My interpretation is that the spell requires 30 seconds of concentration and is an exception to the normal spell casting time requirement. Think of it as a mini-ritual. I find that to be the simplest explanation as well as being the easiest to implement.

Your mileage may vary.

This is what I've always assumed the author had in mind. It would have been much clearer if they had added a "time to cast" stat instead of putting this in the "duration" stat.

Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

IMHO, after the spell is cast, the mage has 30sec to touch the object and than the object is instantly t-ported to location envisioned by the spellcaster..
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

It works better when we go with what was logically intended (takes 30 seconds to cast), rather than forcing terms to have meaning so the rules remain consistent (30 second timer delay to use, or, the spell has a duration). We already know the rules are inconsistent, after all.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Maybe the reason the spell takes 30 sec. to cast is because it is cast silently. That would account for the casting time text.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Maybe the reason the spell takes 30 sec. to cast is because it is cast silently. That would account for the casting time text.

Which would work.....
If there was something in the text to imply that it had that ability. Since silent casting is only available in Rifts (and then only as an optional rule to some mages) it seems unlikely that it would also be an unwritten special built in feature of a spell (especially a spell written before that rule was....)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Heroes Unlimited 2nd Edition page 319 mentions under Magic Attacks Per Melee that (of spells 11-15) only Teleport Superior can be cast in a single melee round (normally they take 2 melee rounds or longer). Page 328 has both "two full melees to teleport" and "instantly transported". As a level 6 spell it would normally be 2 spells per melee (each counting as 2 melee attacks). I'm not sure if that means "2 attacks then 2 melees" or "2 melees instead of 2 attacks" though.

I think it should probably be cumulative, to help offset its amazing benefits. Kind of like with astral projection it should still cost 1 attack to begin using the power and then the meditation time on top of it. Usually attacks are a drop in the bucket compared to full melees so it's not a huge difference, but it helps to give more incentive to use/acquire the Superior version.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

In both Palladium Fantasy Role Playing Game page 199 and Heroes Unlimited 2 on page 328 there is the additional text of
Duration: Requires two full melees (30 seconds) to teleport.

Take that as you will. But it would appear that since it does not say that it takes longer to cast (unlike some other spells that do have longer casting times spelled out). And given that casting speeds of spells vary from game to game, but the description doesn't....
It would seem that the logical inference is that it does indeed take 30 seconds to teleport. As for how this can also be instantaneous I am less clear, but the description does seem to rule out it taking longer to cast, and definitely rules out having 30 seconds in which to pick a target. Leaving taking 30 seconds to complete the trip as the only remaining option.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

What about
1) normal time to cast, must designate immediately
2) duration count begins upon casting completion
3) duration count ends, after 30 seconds the target you selected upon casting finally teleports INSTANTLY to the new location

So the duration is like a delay between cast-end and effect-begin, keeps the teleport instant.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”