Blood to Water (using Liquid to Water)

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Blood to Water (using Liquid to Water)

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Okay let the Megaverse pondering this one. My friend is using his Undead Hunter (Yin Sloth
O.C.C.) and wants to use the Liquid to Water spell in his magic sword to turn blood of a living
being into water (sort of an instant kill attack). Reading Liquid to Water (page 240 in PFRPG) it's
basically a Transmutation spell that turns poisons, gasoline, toxic chemicals, etc into normal
drinking water. There is no saving throw on this thing because I'm certain the writer's original
intent is to effect foul water in a well, a cup of poison, milk, ale, etc. It's not intended to be used
offensively, then again blood is a liquid (mostly water). But then again, this is a water warlock
spell not a spell of Demon Magic or a Necromancer. So what is the true purpose of the spell? So I
won't say what I allowed but I'm curious as to a general consensus from the Megaverse using
Palladium Game rule mechanics, laws of physics, and suspension of disbelief.
Prysus
Champion

Re: Blood to Water (using Liquid to Water)

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. Interesting question, never gave it much thought. Looking it over this is my response ...

1: Did you have him roll the %? There's only a 7% (per level) chance of success. So odds are pretty low it'll work at lower levels, but would still cost P.P.E. This won't necessarily stop the use, but shouldn't be ignored and can help balance out that lack of a saving throw.

2: My gut instinct was (and the ruling I'd probably go with as a G.M.) is that it needs to be an exposed source of liquid. This is based upon the Hydrokinesis psionic (totally different power, I know, but just where my mind went) ability #4 of sensing water. The water warlock ability #9 doesn't have this limit listed, but reads similar (at least to me). Since it's a Level Two spell, I have no issues imposing such a restriction upon it (and I think helps keep with the original intent of the spell). With that said, I can't say there's any book support for such a ruling on this spell. Note: Even though I discuss applying this limitation to the Liquids to Water spell, I oddly don't worry much about that restriction with the actual Hydrokinesis ability (I'd allow the character to sense a sealed bottle of water or an underground spring within range) or the Water Warlock natural ability (though this one has never actually come up in game yet). *Shrugs.*

Not sure that helps, but that's the best I have for you at this time. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Reagren Wright wrote:Okay let the Megaverse pondering this one. My friend is using his Undead Hunter (Yin Sloth
O.C.C.) and wants to use the Liquid to Water spell in his magic sword to turn blood of a living
being into water (sort of an instant kill attack). Reading Liquid to Water (page 240 in PFRPG) it's
basically a Transmutation spell that turns poisons, gasoline, toxic chemicals, etc into normal
drinking water. There is no saving throw on this thing because I'm certain the writer's original
intent is to effect foul water in a well, a cup of poison, milk, ale, etc. It's not intended to be used
offensively, then again blood is a liquid (mostly water). But then again, this is a water warlock
spell not a spell of Demon Magic or a Necromancer. So what is the true purpose of the spell? So I
won't say what I allowed but I'm curious as to a general consensus from the Megaverse using

Mystically speaking, blood is completely different from water. Therefore, the spell wouldn't work on blood. Now if he wants to make a version that does work on blood I'd say let him. Use the rules in TtGD and have him put in the R&D work, funding, and all that in character. Meanwhile you come up with the stats of the spell. Only thing is I would place a saving throw on it, and have it cost a significant amount (30 PPE for 3d6 damage is what I have in mind). That way there if he still wants to make it an instant-kill-type spell, he'd see it's doable, but PPE costly.
Last edited by The Beast on Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I would not allow it; as you say, it's a very effective instant death spell, as written. Even tacking on a saving throw seems like it would be too cheap for the effect. Like Prysus, I'd let it work on exposed blood (the blood around a wound, or that a vampire was drinking, or even in a blood bag), but not blood in the vein, even with a deep cut being present.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I would say that the no saving throw was because it was assumed it was being cast on water that was an 'object' and objects don't get saves. If it is being cast on a living thing I would
1) only let visible blood be transformed
2) Make sure all needed rolls are made
3) allow a saving throw

This assumes that I allowed it. I would also make sure that my players understood that if they do this, it will mean that this is a valid use of this (very common, low level) spell and that any NPC can do the same thing back. :twisted:
For some odd reason this tends to curb the worst 'insta-kill' shenanigans in my games :lol:

In general though if the proposed use of a spell/ability/whatever sounds like its a way to get around the normal limits of the game I simply award 25xp for creativity.....and disallow it.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Agrees with Eli's 1st sentence.

The main point is that the assumption the writer had was that the liquid needs to be outside of a living being for this spell to work at all.
I would not let this spell work on the fluids inside living beings.

There is no damage rating associated with the spell. A variant that would be damaging to living beings (+1 level & +2 PPE cost) I would think would do about 1D4 SD per level of Warlock. The range for doing damage would be limited to touch, but the magic could be finish and charged into one of the Warlock's appendages for a 1 or 2 melees. The normal Saving Throws would be applicable.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

It would depend greatly on the volume of blood being transmuted. Anything short of 6 pints you may cause the target to become weak or ill but you won't kill them. What do you think Paramedics are pumping in when they are giving wounded Saline? If you keep the pressure up the person might become anemic and weak but it won't kill them.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Roll percentage, if successful, allow saving throw with -1 for every ten percent of Success.

Spell deals 2d6 HP with a bonus of +1 per experience level.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

Alrik Vas wrote:Roll percentage, if successful, allow saving throw with -1 for every ten percent of Success.

Is that the spell text or your opinion?

As someone who had 4 liters of saline pumped in so fast they were squeezing the bags, having some of your blood replaced with pure water do any real damage.

So unless you a transmuting a couple of gallons (enough volume to cause instant death) there should be no practical effect.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

SpiritInterface wrote:
Alrik Vas wrote:Roll percentage, if successful, allow saving throw with -1 for every ten percent of Success.

As someone who had 4 liters of saline pumped in so fast they were squeezing the bags, having some of your blood replaced with pure water do any real damage.

So unless you a transmuting a couple of gallons (enough volume to cause instant death) there should be no practical effect.

His opinion.
The spell text as written for fluids outside of a being.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

There was a nice Rifter article about the concept of mystic auras that would provide the justification for giving a living being having their blood subjected to this as an attack a saving throw.

There would also need to be access to the blood through a significant wound.

The above assumes you'd even want it to be allowable.

Beyond that, ask the player if he really wants his character to play in a game where the GM can turn his blood into water, because if the character can do it, the GM can do it too.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

SpiritInterface wrote:

My opinion. I'm over here armchairing it, never read the spell in my life. Though I think instantaneous changes to the body can cause shock. That's irrelevant to Palladium fantasy, though. I was thinking it might be cool to have non-evil magic deal direct HP damage, really. :P
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Reagren Wright wrote:Okay let the Megaverse pondering this one. My friend is using his Undead Hunter (Yin Sloth

Question: Is the Undead Hunter a warlock turned Undead Hunter or is the Undead Hunter the char's 1st Class?

The reason being is that the 'Liquid to Water' Spell in the 2nd edition is just a Water Warlock spell, and is not included in the Undead Hunter staring spell list. Nor is not a part of spells available to wizards as per the limits to what spells a the Undead Hunter can learn.
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

The spell is one that in his magic sword. Undead Hunters can come with a magic sword that has four spell in it.
Liquid to Water is one of those spells.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Reagren Wright wrote:The spell is one that in his magic sword. Undead Hunters can come with a magic sword that has four spell in it.
Liquid to Water is one of those spells.

Okay...I see it there now.
Reagren Wright

Mark Hall wrote:I would not allow it; as you say, it's a very effective instant death spell, as written. Even tacking on a saving throw seems like it would be too cheap for the effect. Like Prysus, I'd let it work on exposed blood (the blood around a wound, or that a vampire was drinking, or even in a blood bag), but not blood in the vein, even with a deep cut being present.

That was sort of my thinking, claiming because there is "living matter" within it cannot be
transformed. Great debate guys thanks for your comments.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

BLood is 98% water already, so I would let him have it but not have it do any thing.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Isn't blood already water with solid thingies (blood cells and other nutrients) dissolved into it?
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Scientifically, yes. Mystically, no.
Axelmania
Knight

"Liquid" is a scientific term though. Is there a 'mystic' definition of liquid we should know to determine if blood falls into that?
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Axelmania wrote:Isn't blood already water with solid thingies (blood cells and other nutrients) dissolved into it?

No. Blood cells (which aren't nutrients, although they do carry them) and the other things in blood are suspended in circulatory fluid which while mostly water isn't just water and in all honestly the human body in general is mostly made up of water.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Axelmania
Knight

By 'other' I intended 'other solid thingies' but worded it wrong :)

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”