Carpet of Adhesion vs. Size of the Behemoth

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Carpet of Adhesion vs. Size of the Behemoth

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Okay here's the situation and all I'm looking for is a general consenus of the results.
A player casts Carpet of Adhesion on another player character and the orc he's
fighthing. Don't ask me why he did it, to hard to explain. Anyway on his next action
he cast Size of the Behemoth on the player charater. Well he's grows 20 feet (6 m)
tall. So what happens? He's bonded by magic to the carpet making it impossible for
him to move, yet his body grows 20 feet tall? I won't say what I as GM allowed to
happen, I'm curious as what the Megaverse thinks should have happened based on
Palladium books game mechanics, laws of physics, and/or suspension of disbelief. Let
the debate begin...
Xar
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: J.V. Adams
(he/him/his)

Re: Carpet of Adhesion vs. Size of the Behemoth

Unread post by Xar »

I would rule that the surface he is adhered too also grows.
~Xar~

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The orc would still be stuck to the giant PC.

No, it would not draw and quarter the orc.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:The orc would still be stuck to the giant PC.

No, it would not draw and quarter the orc.

I agree with drewkitty
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

U cast carpet of adhesion on the floor underneath them both??
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

No the carpet was cast on both of them.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Speaking as a GM, when the mage (player) gets the idea of casting the CoA on a person (or animal) instead of on the ground or object, I would allow it and have the target(s) of the spell would get a saving throw: standard. And if there are more then one target to the spell they would need to be touching.
-------
Yes, I noticed that which is why I said what I said.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

If it's cast ON THEM...how does that even work? What are they sticking to in that case? And if you target the spell, how do you target more than one person?

If you're just targeting the 10x10 they happen to be in, then the carpet is on the ground, they're standing on it. When the player is grown a few things can happen (and I'll give my vote among them).

the others have pointed out perfectly good solutions so far. I think that "PC grows, Orc remains stuck to PC" is viable. Though there is also the option that the PC grows "away" from the orc (becoming larger, but the direction of their growth doesn't touch the orc so their respective status does not change). Then there's the icky version, where both have feet stuck to the ground and the growing PC "steamrolls" the orc, dealing damage to him as a massive object pressing it's weight down.

I'm for the clean, nothing changes approach. Though it's possible the PC who is now much larger, may have issues with their feet as they were stuck in certain positions, and now they are much larger, taking up the same respective space. it might be...uncomfortable.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Reagren Wright wrote:No the carpet was cast on both of them.

I wouldnt allow it.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

A big part of this issue is simply how one interprets the spell "Carpet of Adhesion."
Many people believe that it creates a literal, physical "carpet" that is like indestructible flypaper.
Other people believe that it simply makes existing materials super sticky, but of those people many think that it only affects a 10x10 area, not individual people.

So the answer to "what would happen if...." depends on the gaming group and the GM, and how they normally handle each spell in question.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Xar
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: J.V. Adams
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

Likewise, I assumed it had been cast on the ground. I would need to reread the spell description, but I would be disinclined to allow it to be cast on the surface of a person or creature. I'm in the flypaper camp.
~Xar~

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Alrik Vas wrote:If it's cast ON THEM...how does that even work? What are they sticking to in that case? And if you target the spell, how do you target more than one person?

snip...

The mage targets the person and if the person does not save vs Mage whatever they touch sticks to them.
So if they fall down they still can't get up cause they are stuck to the ground.

The stuff is sticking to them.

If targeting two, and they are touching, then it molds around them.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

I disagree. If you target one, it wouldn't cause the second person to be sticky. If you target an area, then yes, anyone in it would have their feet stuck.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

So if you target a 10x10 area over their heads is CoA the type of stuff that is anchored in time and space and just sits there or is it a carpet of adhesive fibers that will descend and rest on anything beneath it?
If you target a person does it cover the person or go to his feet?
If you target a mech does it cover the mech or go to its feet?
Then if you cast it on the surface (road) of a bridge, in order to stop a vehicle, and that bridge is a support bridge rather than a suspension bridge by the logic that dictates that the spell would go to the mechs feet then instead of covering the bridge and stopping the car you instead catch some seaweed and fish at the bridges feet. If it does one and not the other than there is intent controlling the spell and intent can be changed.

As for what happens to the two
If you follow the feet only and CoA is supremely adhesive and unbreakable than the humans foot remains planted to the same maybe twelve inch spot... crushing his giant foot or ripping the skin as soon as it starts growing.

I'm of the mind that if your wearing boots and you get stuck on CoA, undo your boots and try to jump free, the magic does not permeate the whole body but only sticks to whatever is in contact with it. So the humans flesh is torn. IF it is cast between them and they get stuck to each other and then he grows then that part that is stuck on the human will tear from the carpet. The orc would be fine. The carpet does not stretch so the growth would not change it's size. Now, if CoAs (plural) were cast on to surfaces that do not stretch and then those surfaces were separated, then the orc would either be drawn a quartered or the flesh in contact with the CoA would be torn from the body.

Again it REALLY depends on how you interpret the spell.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Reagren Wright

Loving the debate guys :ok: The interpretation of the physics of this spell is the real hard part.
Have to have a one on one talk to Kevin about it to one day get the definitive stamp on it.
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mouser13 »

I know that people don't like the old FAQ. But it had a response would be he still stuck. They have a example of what happens if a person teleports away. Answers was he teleport but is still suck at the new location. So as long has part of the person is still stuck I would say he large size but is still suck.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

It's a poorly described spell. Each GM is going to have to decide how they want to run it and then make those mechanics known to the players.

Time Slip and Talisman are other notable spells that require GM clarification.
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
SittingBull
Hero
Comment: "Its not the destination that matters, its the journey along the way."

Unread post by SittingBull »

I did away with Carpet of Adhesion and had a spell called Web, less headache.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5
"You don't understand, so you find excuses."
Doctor Who
"Peace has made you weak. Victory has defeated you."
Bane
42dragon
Explorer

Unread post by 42dragon »

I have always ruled that the spell had to cast on a suitably large flat(ish) surface, but not directly under something. That way the players had to plan how to use it to get their enemies to step onto or be knocked onto the carpet of adhesion.
SittingBull
Hero
Comment: "Its not the destination that matters, its the journey along the way."

Unread post by SittingBull »

If I were to have a player who could use this spell again, as a GM, I would say the carpet goes under the 2 characters standing there. Never seen anything but headache from the sticky flypaper coating the characters as it falls to the ground. As to the character growing, he is going to grow, the carpet isn't going to stop that. So unless there is something about being bigger letting the big character get free quicker, then he's just bigger and still stuck. Except, if the carpet is small enough, he might just have one foot stuck now instead of two.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5
"You don't understand, so you find excuses."
Doctor Who
"Peace has made you weak. Victory has defeated you."
Bane
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

The least gruesome way to handle it would be to say that you are fixed in relation to your center of gravity so it stays fixed but your extremities can still expand.

It's not just growth spells that encounter this problem, 'shrink to 6 inches' could similarly rip you apart since your outer parts would want to stay apart while the parts tethering them shorten.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Reagren Wright wrote:Okay here's the situation and all I'm looking for is a general consenus of the results.
fighthing. Don't ask me why he did it, to hard to explain. Anyway on his next action
he cast Size of the Behemoth on the player charater. Well he's grows 20 feet (6 m)
tall. So what happens? He's bonded by magic to the carpet making it impossible for
him to move, yet his body grows 20 feet tall? I won't say what I as GM allowed to
Palladium books game mechanics, laws of physics, and/or suspension of disbelief. Let
the debate begin...

If CoA is cast on the player and not the ground, I do not see a problem. The Orc and the clothes he/she is stuck to tear away in one big chunck, since giant spell (as written) would destroy the PCs clothes as he grows in size. Now if the Orc is also attached to the PC via CoA by non-clothing in a single location, the Orc would just dangle, but if it was multiple locations either the magic would cancel out one of the spells or the magic effects both (though distributed) or the magic relocates the orc to same relative center position or the magic will temporarily "pocket" the Orc elsewhere. I might even roll randomly in that case.

Alrik Vas wrote:If it's cast ON THEM...how does that even work? What are they sticking to in that case? And if you target the spell, how do you target more than one person?

"The carpet can be cast on a flour, table, wall, etc., or actually cast upon a person" & "and can alter the size and shape" (Rifts BoM pg99, IINM also found in RUE, RMB, and PF2E).

To answer your question, I think the carpet can essentially be thought of as "sliming" the target with the magic superglue. There does not appear to be any requirement that surface be flat, only 200ft^2 (18m^2).
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

With the spell targeting them specifically I would rule that even with the Growth spell cast on one of the affected persons they would still be under the effects of CoA. I interpret the spell when cast on a person as covering them with adhesion making them stick to the ground as well as whatever they are touching/holding due to the spells adhesiveness.
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ShadowHawk »

Reagren Wright wrote:Okay here's the situation and all I'm looking for is a general consenus of the results.
the debate begin...

did he cast it on the characters or the ground?
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

This is a good example of why in the interest of less headache I often simply remove this spell from my game.

I have had far to many ahhhh.... creative uses of this spell (this case study sounds familiar. I had a player that like to try and argue that it could be used to kill people via, more or less, whiplash by casting it in front of vehicles...)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”