cloud of slumber

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Zamion138
Hero

cloud of slumber

Unread post by Zamion138 »

Basic question,
I cast cloud of slumber and put the enemy to sleep. Can I instantly drop the spell or does it have to run its course.
It last for a round per level do we have to wait for the spell to be up or can we drop the spell instantly and move in for the almost guarented kill/tie up.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: cloud of slumber

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

They way I run it is that those that are lacking in sleep will conteniue to sleep till awakened or have slept themselves out. But if the char was not behind on their sleep, they will wake up within a minute of the spell ending.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

So not dispealed by the mage at will? And is that cannon or doesnt say just house rule it??
wyrmraker
Hero

Unread post by wyrmraker »

I would say that the Cloud is ended at will. The individuals under the effect of the Cloud of Slumber take a little bit to wake up after the end of it.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

My interpretation is that if the mage cancels the spell, then the previous victims are no longer "magically" asleep, but are normally asleep. Similar to drewkitty's approach, those who are well rested can be easily roused (they are just in a light doze) while those who were very tired are difficult to awaken (in a heavy sleep). In either case, you could prowl among them (provided you're careful) but you're not going to be able to loot them. Neither could you tie them up without waking them.

However, it still gives you a pretty darned good advantage. Hit the most dangerous opponents with Magic Nets and have the rest of your team ready to overpower the remaining victims.

Or if you're willing to take a bit more of a gamble, don't cancel the magic and have a member of your party (who has a bonus to save) walk in and take their weapons. He might fail the save, but it may be worth it.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

Mack wrote:My interpretation is that if the mage cancels the spell, then the previous victims are no longer "magically" asleep, but are normally asleep. Similar to drewkitty's approach, those who are well rested can be easily roused (they are just in a light doze) while those who were very tired are difficult to awaken (in a heavy sleep). In either case, you could prowl among them (provided you're careful) but you're not going to be able to loot them. Neither could you tie them up without waking them.
Thats how I run it also. The mage can cancel the spell and just like those that were dragged out of the cloud while sleeping wake in 1d4 melees.

However, it still gives you a pretty darned good advantage. Hit the most dangerous opponents with Magic Nets and have the rest of your team ready to overpower the remaining victims.
Oh yeah for a level 1 air warlock, or level 3 wizard this is a powerful spell.

Or if you're willing to take a bit more of a gamble, don't cancel the magic and have a member of your party (who has a bonus to save) walk in and take their weapons. He might fail the save, but it may be worth it.
Thats not a bad idea, being a cloud spell do the victims actually need to breath it? I rule no, they only need to be in the 20' cube.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
DieselsRage
D-Bee

Unread post by DieselsRage »

Alright so Cloud of slumber if using environmental armor and breathe without air would you still be affected since not breathing it in
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

DieselsRage wrote:Alright so Cloud of slumber if using environmental armor and breathe without air would you still be affected since not breathing it in

I think you actually need to breathe the cloud in. Not sure if any of the books state that ot not.

EDIT: Cloud of Steam has notations for those in EBA in both Rifts and PFRPG whereas Cloud of Slumber does not, so now I'm not sure if being in something environmentally sealed will help.
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kraynic »

The Beast wrote:
DieselsRage wrote:Alright so Cloud of slumber if using environmental armor and breathe without air would you still be affected since not breathing it in

I think you actually need to breathe the cloud in. Not sure if any of the books state that ot not.

EDIT: Cloud of Steam has notations for those in EBA in both Rifts and PFRPG whereas Cloud of Slumber does not, so now I'm not sure if being in something environmentally sealed will help.

I haven't played Rifts, so I'm not sure if the spell has changed for that system. In the Fantasy game, Breathe without Air specifically states that it doesn't protect against magical toxins (1E lists miasma and cloud of slumber as examples of things it doesn't protect against).
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Kraynic wrote:
The Beast wrote:

I haven't played Rifts, so I'm not sure if the spell has changed for that system. In the Fantasy game, Breathe without Air specifically states that it doesn't protect against magical toxins (1E lists miasma and cloud of slumber as examples of things it doesn't protect against).

The same statement is in the Rifts Book of Magic. So one is not required to actually breathe in the Cloud of Slumber.

I'd treat it as any other spell that bypasses EBA, but not heavy power armor or robot vehicles.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
limnakhau
Newb

Unread post by limnakhau »

I just started my life as a DM after playin 2 years as a PC in our group. We started to play Carrion Crown and my friend plays a witch. Just last night, he reaches lvl 5? to use his special ability Slumber. After defeating a special "Bosslike" minion in 2 Rounds. Round 1 Slumber; Round 2 Cdg. We finaly discussed the situation and had no clue how to handle it. I looked over some monster in Carrion Crown and think this will be hard to handle, without overpowering the boss fights, especially because most of the fights in Carrion crown are "Big Boss" Vs PC fights, and its a simple "i will do a will check, well if i fail you get exp and loot".

I searched alot about this problem in the paizo Forum and found VERY much stuff about this situation. How do you guys handled Slumber in your campaign ? We would love to have some good advice to not ruin our first CC campaign.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”