"Most Powerful" magic OCC/RCC?

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: "Most Powerful" magic OCC/RCC?

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Don't forget the new air warlock magic in Mysteries of Magic that includes line-of-sight teleportation!
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

I have to second demi-god ley line walker or temporal wizard with elemental magic as their demi-god power as the most powerful (I'd say shifter for the OCC, but that's verboten in this thread). You've got a great selection of standard invocations for utility and protection, then elemental magic to bust heads. Discounted, superior and single attack-casting Call Lightning and Fireball, depending on element selection, then world-enders like River of Lava or Tornado at the not that high a level of 7. Awesome.
- If I never hear real world military buffs complaining about Rifts weapons technology again it'll be too soon
- Rifts isn't Warhammer 40K. Try to remember that.
- In vino veritas, and I am hammered!
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

TMNT, like HU, never really used OCCs specifically... but the educational backgrounds or power categories are essentially the rough equivalents...

In which case, I'd submit the Time Lord from Transdimensional. It doesn't matter how much power you build up if your opponent can just go back in time when you were weak (or not even born) and wipe you from existence.

Though I'm not clear on how this works in regard to paradoxes. Can we not take actions that would cause them? (ie killing someone removes them and thus your reason for going back in time to kill them, so you can't actually make intended changes to the past, only unintended changes)

Perhaps if we make an intended change to the past, it splits the timeline and creates new dimensions? You create a new timeline that does not produce the you that wanted to go back and make the change, but you did not change your own timeline.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Tor wrote:TMNT, like HU, never really used OCCs specifically... but the educational backgrounds or power categories are essentially the rough equivalents...

In which case, I'd submit the Time Lord from Transdimensional. It doesn't matter how much power you build up if your opponent can just go back in time when you were weak (or not even born) and wipe you from existence.

Though I'm not clear on how this works in regard to paradoxes. Can we not take actions that would cause them? (ie killing someone removes them and thus your reason for going back in time to kill them, so you can't actually make intended changes to the past, only unintended changes)

Perhaps if we make an intended change to the past, it splits the timeline and creates new dimensions? You create a new timeline that does not produce the you that wanted to go back and make the change, but you did not change your own timeline.

The Transdimensional TMNT book goes into explicit detail on those very questions. which makes sense sinse they're also the book where time lords are discribed and stated.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

temporal warrior. stay for the whole 14 year contract and poof. bad ass!! you cant spell badass without an Si.( sorry for the duck dynasty joke really.lol)
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mouser13 »

Chaing-ku Dragon Hatchling temporal wizard
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Tor wrote:I'm not clear on how this works in regard to paradoxes. Can we not take actions that would cause them? (ie killing someone removes them and thus your reason for going back in time to kill them, so you can't actually make intended changes to the past, only unintended changes) Perhaps if we make an intended change to the past, it splits the timeline and creates new dimensions? You create a new timeline that does not produce the you that wanted to go back and make the change, but you did not change your own timeline.
The Transdimensional TMNT book goes into explicit detail on those very questions. which makes sense sinse they're also the book where time lords are discribed and stated.
I must've forgotten where it does that, pg in particular? Explanations jump around a lot in that.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
londonbaz

Unread post by londonbaz »

Ectoplasmic Bidet wrote:Lord Magus.

Good man, staying loyal to our Avatar
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

londonbaz wrote:

I always confuse the FoM magic users. Is the Lord Magus the one that can never learn high level spells but slowly transforms into a supernatural creature?

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Ectoplasmic Bidet
Hero

Unread post by Ectoplasmic Bidet »

flatline wrote:
londonbaz wrote:

I always confuse the FoM magic users. Is the Lord Magus the one that can never learn high level spells but slowly transforms into a supernatural creature?

--flatline

Yes.
FluidicAztec
Explorer

Unread post by FluidicAztec »

This might be a little outside of what the OP limited the choices to, but I'd have to say a Nightbane Sorcerer OCC is one of the most potent I've ever seen. If you pick just a couple of powerful talents coupled with the PPE starting at 3D6x10+20+PE and another 2D6+6 per level added to the ability to pick spells like any other Sorcerer is pretty amazing. All of this on top of the Morphus! And if this character is used in Rifts the relative power goes crazy (MDC, Supernatural PS, Spells, Talents). In Rifts the character has access to some pretty amazing spell choices.

Also, as previously mentioned, the Smoker from Manhunter is pretty cool. Not sure if it's the most powerful, but it's up there.
flatline
Knight

Do they still sell Manhunter?

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Temporal Warrior due the full 14 year contract and you are a juicer/mage!
FluidicAztec
Explorer

flatline wrote:Do they still sell Manhunter?

--flatline

Try Amazon. Just search for Rifts Manhunter. You can get it used pretty cheap. It's a really cool book. Not laid out very good and there is so much missing...but the whole concept of intergalactic bad guy robots and all these bounty hunter type OCCs is cool. It had a lot of potential, but as written is kinda rough. But if you want uber tough Robot villian it doesn't get any better. Sorry, went off topic...

On topic...The Smoker is cool cause he's super versatile with spell selection but focuses on destructive and defensive type spells which he casts at half cost. He also has a horror factor, can see magic (including things made invisible with magic and, sense magic. I would rule that they could use combat magic out of the Rifts Mercenary Adventures book.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

FluidicAztec wrote:

--flatline

Try Amazon. Just search for Rifts Manhunter. You can get it used pretty cheap. It's a really cool book. Not laid out very good and there is so much missing...but the whole concept of intergalactic bad guy robots and all these bounty hunter type OCCs is cool. It had a lot of potential, but as written is kinda rough. But if you want uber tough Robot villian it doesn't get any better. Sorry, went off topic...

On topic...The Smoker is cool cause he's super versatile with spell selection but focuses on destructive and defensive type spells which he casts at half cost. He also has a horror factor, can see magic (including things made invisible with magic and, sense magic. I would rule that they could use combat magic out of the Rifts Mercenary Adventures book.

what book is this one out of?
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
FluidicAztec
Explorer

Damian Magecraft wrote:
FluidicAztec wrote:

--flatline

what book is this one out of?

Rifts Manhunter
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

flatline wrote:
Looonatic wrote:I can't believe nobody mentioned the Ludicrous mage.

Never heard of it nor does it appear in the OCCs listed in the GMG. Is it from a Rifter?

--flatline

Rifter 9.5.

--flatline

Only used, though I did find a copy in decent shape at the store I went to today.
warrenthewanderer
D-Bee
Comment: A wise man once said that is true happiness.

Unread post by warrenthewanderer »

Alchemists
KEEP CALM AND CAST SPELLS

The man I am having dinner with is a barbarian (a Visigoth? Or just an a--hole?)

O boards, you have held up so much tedious posts that I am amazed you have not already 404'd in ruin
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

1) Temporal Warrior
2) Temporal Wizard
3) Nazca LineMaker
4) Mystic
5) Phase Mystic, yes not technically a ppe based mage but.........
flatline
Knight

I have to admit I'm surprised to see the number of posts nominating the Mystic.

The Mystic's inability to purchase spell magic has always been a deal breaker for me. I consider them to be among the weakest casters in the game for that one reason.

--flatline

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

the combination of spells and psionics plus 1 super psionic ability is what put them on the list for me.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Gravitus Everlast wrote:Most off the wall but lethal caster I've ever created was a Machine person/CosmoKnight. Yes I said it. Machine person/Cosmoknight. Cosmoknights get an awesome and underestimated amount of PPE that usually gets spent quickly and permanently, but a smart player can use this PPE boost to give PPE reserve to a character that usually didn't have it. In this case, a Machine Person. The trick to this is that the character has to meld with a Magic Construct such as one would find in Tolkeen. The MP/CK then learns the spells as Programs, and runs them through the battery and other components as a Computer Operation skill check. Converting spells to computer program is easy but time consuming with the right skills and as an added bonus, casting gains experience like a skill check, because it is. You are not only limited to your own imagination and spell finding abilities. Heaven forbid you figure out how to give it ISP or Chi...

There are no magic constructs with computer programs. Techno-wizardy devices explictly have no computers or programs to learn from :?

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

the Mystically bestowed powers in HU deserve a mention in this also.
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

A Splugorth. :P
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

If we're allowing Splugorth then wouldn't the random AI generation table also qualify?
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mouser13 »

if RCC are allowed. Then spirt monster. Allows 2 spells from any magic type. I believe power comes from options so the one with the most options going to be powerfull.

Example Unverisial balance, Magicial Adren Rush, and giant. Not normally easy to get but togather are broken. Worst use of rules that is 106x your MDC. best it 900x your mdc.

In truth I think it really how much power you GM will let you get away with. I tried to play in a game in which I played a temporal wizard and was really really under powered, because I was not allow any of the spells/ combos/ to make me equal to the other characters(They have all be friends for 10+ years and so could get away with it).
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The way the title is used for this topic, they used RCC correctly to mean a Racial Class. So if you mean "Are Races allowed?". Most people have just been restricting themselves to just classes, but a few have been making Race+OCC suggestions.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Disciple of the Old One Xy with a pact of union. You know all spells and have every psionic power...

Just cuz he transformed doesn't mean the essence shards of his witches did....
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Raw power I would go with the High magus. Decent skills all high level magic and access to temporal magic. The do have a few key low level spells, but other than that lack lower power spells. Add to that they make the magical automatons of Dwemor and the one the pilot is very strong.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Cinos wrote:So you don't find use for Forgery, but find Ley Lines all the time?

Not ALL the time, but with reasonable frequency. enough it definatly comes in handy, as opposed to forgery, which has never come in handy. i'm not saying we never needed a forgery, i'm saying it seems to always be faster to buy it than to wait for the party member with the skill to try to pass the abursdly hard roll.

And 6th level is pushing the half point of the entire leveling curve, so being better until 6th is a pretty big deal.

Not really. you start hitting levels 4 and 5 after just a few months of regular playing and level six within six months. after that, it's a few years of playing at the medium to high levels. I've played in several games that lasted 2-3 years and one for 7 years and counting. the low levels blow by pretty fast, after that the difference between classes become clear, and apparent, because if you picked the frontended class, you got to outshine the others for a little while, then spend years being behind the curve.

And how well does that Metamorph work against dog boys or anything with Sense Magic? Not super well I'd wager.

it works as well as any other magic, really. at which point both classes are down to skills, and as I said, the ley line walker just has them beat. the ley line walker can have every skill the gypsy wizard does for sneaking around and more besides.

Or just use mystic invisibility spell, which either can learn, at which point dog boys become absolutely useless

The thing is that the Gypsy's skills fall back in situations where their spells are impractical and gives them an innate counter to the things that normally counter anti-magic tech in terms of stealth spells.

You seem to be conviently ignoring the part where I pointed out the ley line walker can have all the same skills with the exception of disguise and forgery and, again, because they come up so rarely the much more consistantly useful ley line walker powers just outshine the gypsy wizard thief. One is trivially duplicated with magic, the other is actually easier to buy than to DIY, so moot.

It might be a difference of perspective. if you don't play games that reach mid to high levels, then front-ended classes are always better. I've played games where a juicer would have actually died of old age, so what I value is very much long-term growth over being the best at first level.

What is the mystic invisibility spell and what book is it in?

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”