Newly Invented Psionics:

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Newly Invented Psionics:

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:I don't play RIFTS so that is really irrelevant. I might add Neural Strike to my own files and not repost the modified version here.

It was relevant to mention to others 'reading'/'who will read' this topic that maybe ignorant or the org. concept to mention that.

Yes, I get that, which is why I'm not going to post it here. I have the power from T that he pm'd me and I can use it in my games pretty much as is with only slight modification.

That taalismn gives you permission to use his creations is fine and dandy.
---
But bio-manipulation is a super psi.....where if the only thing the power does is to cause someone to itch....that sounds more like a regular psi power.

'Sort of' how some of the APS sub-powers can be found as minor powers.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:bio-manipulation is a super psi.....where if the only thing the power does is to cause someone to itch....that sounds more like a regular psi power.

'Sort of' how some of the APS sub-powers can be found as minor powers.
I think some of the psionic powers are not sorted correctly. But I would categorize Neural Strike as a Super Psionic.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

if you're looking to inflict damage straight to HP by mucking about with someone's neural system and you *don't* want giant veins popping out of your forehead, bio-manipulation does it via the pain option. it is, however, extremely slow, so having the means to get yourself to someplace far, far away while you wait for them to eventually die is highly recommended, as you likely will not want to be anyplace that the person who is literally slowing dying from intense agony can get their hands on you.

also, I would say there's a very high chance that using it on anything like a regular basis would probably make you evil.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Shark_Force wrote:also, I would say there's a very high chance that using it on anything like a regular basis would probably make you evil.
That's kinda what I'm going for, something I can give a villain NPC. I wouldn't want any players selecting it for that vey reason also.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

well, they'll probably have the theoretical ability to use it if they make a psychic that can choose a few master options (bio-manipulation is one of the stronger choices). they just probably won't use it, because sure, 8d4 damage direct to hit points is nice, but taking 8d4 *minutes* to do that much damage makes it not the most useful thing ever...
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Shark_Force wrote:well, they'll probably have the theoretical ability to use it if they make a psychic that can choose a few master options (bio-manipulation is one of the stronger choices). they just probably won't use it, because sure, 8d4 damage direct to hit points is nice, but taking 8d4 *minutes* to do that much damage makes it not the most useful thing ever...

Yeah, the fight would be over by the time they got the psionic to do its thing. "Don't arrest me yet, I'm not done torturing your teammate."
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Yeah, the fight would be over by the time they got the psionic to do its thing. "Don't arrest me yet, I'm not done torturing your teammate."

Unless you have one of those parties that then replies: "Can we watch?" :demon:
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:Yeah, the fight would be over by the time they got the psionic to do its thing. "Don't arrest me yet, I'm not done torturing your teammate."

Unless you have one of those parties that then replies: "Can we watch?" :demon:

In which case I would tell them they are supposed to be playing heroes, not psychopaths.
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:In which case I would tell them they are supposed to be playing heroes, not psychopaths.

Make sure you have a clear path of escape when you tell them that.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:In which case I would tell them they are supposed to be playing heroes, not psychopaths.

Make sure you have a clear path of escape when you tell them that.
I don't let my players choose evil alignments. Besides, what's to stop te villain from sing it one one of them next?
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:[]I don't let my players choose evil alignments. Besides, what's to stop te villain from sing it one one of them next?

"Only the GM gets to be Evil in this campaign. I catch any of you doing evil things, you start losing appendages Then we work our way to your internal organs."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:"Only the GM gets to be Evil in this campaign. I catch any of you doing evil things, you start losing appendages Then we work our way to your internal organs."
The GM has the burden of playing every alignment since he is every NPC. I would hope all your NPCs aren't evil.
Last edited by Stone Gargoyle on Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:[The GM has the burden of platying every alignment since he is every NPC. I would hope all your NPCs aren't evil.

Only the fun ones.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Anyway, we are getting off topic. I had asked the question to possibly write up something and found out I didn't need to. On to the next psionic power.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

taalismn wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
taalismn wrote:ninja'ing stone gargoyles. :wink:

We creatures of stone are not generally known for stealth, but thank you.

It's the art of standing still, not being noticed, and moving when somebody's attention is turned elsewhere.

Careful, the BBC has that monster race copyrighted! ;)
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Palewolf
D-Bee

Re: Invented Psionics:

Unread post by Palewolf »

TrumbachD wrote:
TrumbachD wrote:I saw the thread on invented spells and got curious why there wasn't one for new Psionic powers (Or even new categories of Psionics), so I started one.
lets here some of your ideas for new psionic powers!

Is there a telekinetic variant of the Burster PCC, One with advanced Psi Powers in the area of telekinesis?
If not, how would one go about building one?
The Mind melter gets 12 powers to start, but they're split into categories, so how about 9 Physical and 3 super Psionics of a physical nature?
Or, how about a lesser number of Powers and a couple unique special abilities?
Ant thoughts on this one

The Rifter #19 has what you are looking for. The Blaster, the Soaker, the Freezer
Palewolf
D-Bee

Unread post by Palewolf »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Mlp7029 wrote:Detect Good - same as Detect Evil just change Evil to Good in the description.
But is there even such a thing as supernatural good?

There is supernatural good for instance good aligned gods, and in rifts underseas nemo2 and his descendents are considered to be supernatural humans and the majority of them are good aligned
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Palewolf wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Mlp7029 wrote:Detect Good - same as Detect Evil just change Evil to Good in the description.

There is supernatural good for instance good aligned gods, and in rifts underseas nemo2 and his descendents are considered to be supernatural humans and the majority of them are good aligned

COMPLETELY different.

A being that is Supernatural Good would radiate "Goodness" the way a radiant heater emits heat.
You would feel comfortable in his or her presence, at east, and likely receive a massive bonus versus HF.

To put it anouther way... A being that is Supernaturally Good/Evil would detect as such, even if their alignment was contrary.
Think about a reformed demon...it's still a demon, therefor a Supernatural Evil being. Despite it's Scrupulous alignment, using Detect Evil will instantly detect it as Evil. In D&D terms, the Detect effect feels the nature, not the alignment...You need a Know Alignment spell/effect to do that.

Nemo's decendants, even if considered a minor Supernatural Being, should not be detectable by a Detect Evil/Good effect...unless they were ACTIVELY acting/thinking appropriate thoughts. It's why you can use it on a Diabolic person and not detect anything...(s)he is not actively considering "evil" thoughts, or engaging in "evil" deeds.
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Borast wrote:
Palewolf wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

COMPLETELY different.

A being that is Supernatural Good would radiate "Goodness" the way a radiant heater emits heat.
You would feel comfortable in his or her presence, at east, and likely receive a massive bonus versus HF.

To put it anouther way... A being that is Supernaturally Good/Evil would detect as such, even if their alignment was contrary.
Think about a reformed demon...it's still a demon, therefor a Supernatural Evil being. Despite it's Scrupulous alignment, using Detect Evil will instantly detect it as Evil. In D&D terms, the Detect effect feels the nature, not the alignment...You need a Know Alignment spell/effect to do that.

Nemo's decendants, even if considered a minor Supernatural Being, should not be detectable by a Detect Evil/Good effect...unless they were ACTIVELY acting/thinking appropriate thoughts. It's why you can use it on a Diabolic person and not detect anything...(s)he is not actively considering "evil" thoughts, or engaging in "evil" deeds.

This is wrong. The Sense Evil psionic power says this about all supernatural creatures:
All supernatural creatures radiate their alignment, good or evil.

So a reformed demon with a scrupulous alignment radiates a good alignment. Captain Nemo and his descendants always radiate their alignment once they become a supernatural creature in their teens.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Glistam wrote: The Sense Evil psionic power says this about all supernatural creatures

RUE: says Sense Evil only senses SN Evil. (page 176)

You might be thinking of the Psi power 'Presence Sense'. Which senses 'the presence of SN beings, CoM, and other monsters life forms.' (page 175)
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Glistam wrote: The Sense Evil psionic power says this about all supernatural creatures

RUE: says Sense Evil only senses SN Evil. (page 176)

You might be thinking of the Psi power 'Presence Sense'. Which senses 'the presence of SN beings, CoM, and other monsters life forms.' (page 175)

The line I quoted came verbatim from Rifts: Ultimate Edition, PDF Edition - April 2016, page number 176 (document page 177), the second line of the first paragraph of the Sense Evil psionic power description.

In the context of the discussion I was replying to, the limitations of the Sense Evil power to only sense evil were not relevant, since the quoted line broadly applies to both good and evil supernatural creatures without exception.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

I read what you wrote incorrectly.
My apologies.
taalismn
Priest

(Double post from the Rifts board because Metathiax originally posted here)

Was working on this when I’d discovered that Metathiax had done a TK Flying ability so partial credit to Metathiax for the added inspiration .

Lofter---Psychic Flier O.C.C.

“I soar, carried aloft on wings of thought.”

“Part of learning how to soar is learning how to fall; be prepared to take more than a few tumbles, and painful ones at that, while you learn your limits. Our kind would be more numerous but for the many who started out thinking their power freed them of all care...only to leave their bodies littering the countryside. Gravity and stupidity are still hurdles for you.”

“Light on my feet, light in my thoughts, looking forward to cool winds and blue skies.”

Lofters are Master Psychics who are specialists in telekinetic flight. More than merely levitating themselves in the air, they can truly fly using their mental powers.
Lofters possess a high-efficiency high speed form of telekinetic flight. They also can levitate objects with ease, and develop a skintight protective psychic body field that protects them from turbulence and slipstream effects(and bugs in the teeth). Similarly they develop the ability to resist cold, preventing them from suffering heat loss thanks to slipstream cooling and altitude. They possess a handful of other psychic abilities, but their real concentration is on psychic flight.
Lofters tend to be free spirits who revel in their ability to ‘walk on air’ on a whim. Many lack formal education because they tended to fly away from their problems, responsibilities, or anything they disagreed or became bored with. Many develop wanderlust, seek adventure ‘on the wing’ as it were, and can be found working in travel-oriented careers such as scouts, guides, couriers, mercenaries and thieves.
The downside is that Lofters concentrate on flying to the exception of almost everything else. They lack the sheer range and power of abilities of a Mindmelter or the destructive energy of a Burster. But if you ask any Lofter, the answer you’ll get from most is that they’ve gained the power of a freedom few other psychics can match.

Prerequisites: A high M.E. and P.P. are helpful, but not mandatory
(PPE): 2d6
(ISP): 3d4x10 +M.E. +10 per level of experience
Special Abilities/Characteristics/Powers:
*Telekinetic Flight(Special)---The Lofter has the ability to FLY(not just levitate) at a speed equal to 3x their running speed, +12 per level of experience. Maximum altitude is 30 ft per level of experience. Duration: 3 minutes per level of experience. ISP cost is 5 ISP.

*Levitation(costs HALF normal ISP cost)

*Saving Throw Versus Psionics---As a Master Psychic, the Lofter needs only a 10 or better to save versus psionics.

*Psychic power duration, range, and flying speed are increased by 50% on or near(1 mile), a ley line, DOUBLED when within 1 mile of a ley line nexus.

*R.C.C. Bonuses:
+2 on Initiative, +1 to Perception, +3 Dodge in flight, +4 Roll with fall/impact, +2 to hand to hand damage thanks to low-power ‘flying’ punches and kicks. Isn’t afraid of heights.

Psionics:
Starts out with:
TK Body Field
Resistance to Cold
Sixth Sense

Can select 3 other psionic powers from the categories of Sensitive and Physical at Level One, plus one additional at levels 3, 6, 9, and 12. Can select one Super psionic power at Levels 5 and 10.

OCC Skills:
Language: Native at 98%
Language: One of choice(+30%)
Math: Basic(+15%)
Radio: Basic(+10%)
Acrobatics(+10%)
Prowl(+10%)
Navigation(+15%)
Wilderness Survival(+5%)
Two W.P.s of choice(Except Heavy)
Hand to Hand: Basic(can be upgraded to Expert for one ‘other’ skill selection, or Martial Arts/Assassin for TWO other selections.

Skills: Select 6 ‘other’ skills at Level One, plus an additional 1 at levels 4, 9 and 12.
Communications: Any(+5%)
Cowboy: None
Domestic: Any(+5%)
Electrical: Basic only
Espionage: None
Horsemanship: General and Exotic only
Mechanical: Basic and Automotive only
Medical: First Aid only
Military: None
Physical: Any(+15% to Climbing), except Wrestling
Pilot: Any(+5% to aircraft),except power armor and robots.
Pilot Related: Any
Rogue: Any
Science: Advanced Math and Astronomy& Navigation only(+10%)
Technical: Any(+10%)
Wilderness: Any
Weapons Proficiencies(W.P.): Any

Secondary Skills: Can select 6 Secondary skills at Level 1, +2 additional at levels 3, 6, 9 and 12, without bonuses.

Experience Tables: Use the Burster Exp. Table
Cybernetics/Bionics:
Will not get anything that interferes with their psychic abilities.
Standard Equipment:
Several changes of clothing(jumpsuits with lots of pockets are popular), a waterproof poncho, knapsack and carryall bags, sleeping bag, two canteens, combat webbing harness, a suit of light EBA(or leather armor if in a fantasy setting), Sunglasses, goggles, or tinted visor, filter mask, compass, weapon for each W.P. +1d4 clips for each ammunition-dependent weapon. Has a few personal possessions/trinkets.
Typically doesn’t own much beyond what they can carry aloft, or hide and cache in a hurry.
Starting Money:
4d6x100 credits, plus 2d6x1,000 credits in Black Market barterable items
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
darthauthor
Hero

Unread post by darthauthor »

I like the idea you have for the Lofter.

I toyed around with the idea of a psychic who specialized in air like a buster does fire.
I called it aero-kinesis
taalismn
Priest

darthauthor wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:25 am I like the idea you have for the Lofter.

I toyed around with the idea of a psychic who specialized in air like a buster does fire.
I called it aero-kinesis

I remember some accounts of levitating holy men/saints, and while they could have been short-duration telekinetics or inadvertent hedge-mages, the idea of a more proficient self-levitator had considerable appeal. :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”