Board index » Across the Megaverse® » Guild of Magic & Psionics

Post subject: Re: Invented Spells
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:20 pm

Priest

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

And the Teleport Denial shares the same core idea with the LoB's Dimensional Barrier. Does TD stop just normal T-porting? Or does it stop D-T-porting also.

Both of these look like they are from different PoV in their implementation construction.

Altered Teleport Denial to exclude D-Porting.

As for the second; well, even though I wrote both up at the same time, for the sake of color, I'll claim two different wizards worked on them using different philosophies of magic.

Okay, here's one to be thrown into the shark tank.

Teleport-Grab(Invocation)
Level: 12
Type: Invocation
Range: 80 ft per level of experience
Duration: Instant
Saving Throw: Standard, if the target doesn’t want to be moved. Inanimate objects do not get a save, but magic items DO.
PPE Cost: 250
Effects:
A nightmare for security officers, but a godsend for rescue workers and thieves, this is a short range teleport spell that allows the caster to, at range, grab a target in sight, and teleport it to his side or to another location within range. The main advantage of this over other magic such as magical telekinesis is both the instantaneous nature of the movement and the ability to bypass intervening hazards, such as collapsed structure. It also lacks the substitution clause of the spell Swap Places. It DOES have a flaw in that the target can, when they sense the pull of the spell, resist being teleported, but most victims/subjects of this spell, either through ignorance of what is happening, confusion, or desperation, do not resist being magically yanked OUT of a place.
Teleport-Grab can work on living creatures(and was originally devised for rescue work), but the caster MUST have line of sight on the target and the arrival location. The arrival location also MUST be a safe(at least temporarily) and stable surface/location(no teleporting people into midair over deep ravines or buckets of molten metal).
Does not work through solid materials(a pane of glass can stop it, though as long as the mage has an opening line of sight on the target, they can successfully cast the spell*), forcefields, or magic disruption fields. The mage can teleport-grab objects/beings up to 200 lbs. of mass per level of experience.

*Metal screens do NOT count as solid obstructions for the purposes of this spell.

For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:52 am

Adventurer

Comment: If I could go back in time, I would join the cast of "The Thrilling Adventure Hour"
taalismn wrote:
Teleport-Grab(Invocation)
Level: 12
Range: 80 ft per level of experience
Saving Throw: Standard, if the target doesn’t want to be moved. Inanimate objects do not get a save, but magic items DO.
PPE Cost: 250
Effects:
A nightmare for security officers, but a godsend for rescue workers and thieves, this is a short range teleport spell that allows the caster to, at range, grab a target in sight, and teleport it to his side or to another location within range. The main advantage of this over other magic such as magical telekinesis is both the instantaneous nature of the movement and the ability to bypass intervening hazards, such as collapsed structure. It also lacks the substitution clause of the spell Swap Places. It DOES have a flaw in that the target can, when they sense the pull of the spell, resist being teleported, but most victims/subjects of this spell, either through ignorance of what is happening, confusion, or desperation, do not resist being magically yanked OUT of a place.
Teleport-Grab can work on living creatures(and was originally devised for rescue work), but the caster MUST have line of sight on the target and the arrival location. The arrival location also MUST be a safe(at least temporarily) and stable surface/location(no teleporting people into midair over deep ravines or buckets of molten metal).
Does not work through solid materials(a pane of glass can stop it, though as long as the mage has an opening line of sight on the target, they can successfully cast the spell*), forcefields, or magic disruption fields. The mage can teleport-grab objects/beings up to 200 lbs. of mass per level of experience.

*Metal screens do NOT count as solid obstructions for the purposes of this spell.

I really like this spell. I like spells that can be used in a variety of creative ways, while still staying true to a clear purpose, and this one definitely fits the bill.
One question does come immediately to mind though:
Why does a pane of glass stop the spell, but a metal screen does not? I don't have a specific objection, but I would like to understand your reasoning.

Hey, you came up with a novel, attention-getting idea, you did the legwork, you worked it through, you made it fit the setting, even though initial thought might be 'nah, it can't work, it's too silly/stupid/lame', and you posted something that only required a little adjustment, yet can be added to, without diluting its original concept. How can we not give you due support and credit?

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:35 pm

Priest

[quote="Father Goose
I really like this spell. I like spells that can be used in a variety of creative ways, while still staying true to a clear purpose, and this one definitely fits the bill.
Why does a pane of glass stop the spell, but a metal screen does not? I don't have a specific objection, but I would like to understand your reasoning.[/quote]

Solid material...there has to be an unobstructed line of sight on the target, materially as well, even though the teleportee converts to energl. A metal screen has plenty of small discernable holes in it. A solid pane of glass doesn't.
This prevents the spell from being used to say, snatch people out of pressurized aircraft as they fly by, or through security windows, or just out of their apartments standing in front of the window. THAT would seriously abuse this spell.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:42 pm

Explorer

I'm not sure if Palladium uses this term, but basically you are limiting this to "line of effect" as well as "line of sight". To go with the name, I may very well have a "phantom" hand that gets generated by the spell that has to be able to get from the caster's hand to the target.

Looks good to me.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:52 am

Priest

Kraynic wrote:
I'm not sure if Palladium uses this term, but basically you are limiting this to "line of effect" as well as "line of sight". To go with the name, I may very well have a "phantom" hand that gets generated by the spell that has to be able to get from the caster's hand to the target.

Looks good to me.

Thanks. Exactly. Swap Places seems to work on a principle of balanced reciprocity, but why pay the cost of teleportation not once, but four times? I figure Swap Places was created using a particular magic philosophy or school doctrine. A more pragmatic-minded mage comes along, looks at the spell, deconstructs it, and looks at the energy cost, not the mass translocation, and decides that if you're going to haul somebody over HERE, let's not bother sending them back THERE.

And, of course, to keep this from becoming a munchkin grab-spell, there had to be limitations. Valiant hero mage overlooking the burning stakes in the public square, can save the damsel in distress from being burnt to ashes, but she's going to have to open the window a bit to have an unobstructed line of effect on who she's going to rescue. Though the chance is slim, somebody might notice the (slightly) open window, but if she times it right, and remains low behind the window, she should be able to pull off the spell, push the now out-of-the-fire rescuee down out of line of sight from the crowd below. and get on with the rest of the extraction plan with none the wiser as to where the prisoner went. If the mage could work through windows, it would be fantastically easy to nab the prisoner from the back of the police van, through the windows, and the windows of the apartment the mage is using as her watch post. Even more fantastic and puzzling, but not quite as tension-provoking from an RPG cinematic narrative point of view.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:17 pm

Adventurer

Comment: If I could go back in time, I would join the cast of "The Thrilling Adventure Hour"
taalismn wrote:
[quote="Father Goose
Why does a pane of glass stop the spell, but a metal screen does not? I don't have a specific objection, but I would like to understand your reasoning.

Solid material...there has to be an unobstructed line of sight on the target, materially as well, even though the teleportee converts to energl. A metal screen has plenty of small discernable holes in it. A solid pane of glass doesn't.
This prevents the spell from being used to say, snatch people out of pressurized aircraft as they fly by, or through security windows, or just out of their apartments standing in front of the window. THAT would seriously abuse this spell.[/quote]
Makes perfect sense to me.

Hey, you came up with a novel, attention-getting idea, you did the legwork, you worked it through, you made it fit the setting, even though initial thought might be 'nah, it can't work, it's too silly/stupid/lame', and you posted something that only required a little adjustment, yet can be added to, without diluting its original concept. How can we not give you due support and credit?

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:10 pm

Priest

Some more Tailor Magic for Stone Gargoyle, and somewhat related spell.
(and that brings my original grimoire over 200 spells)

Mystic Measurement(Tailor Magic)(Invocation)
Level: 1
Range: 5 ft
Saving Throw: None
PPE Cost: 2
Effects:
Simply by pointing at a person and snapping their fingers, the Tailor Mage causes the target to be briefly surrounded by glowing tape measures that instantly feed all the relevant data on the target’s personal measurements back to the mage.

Singer Finger(Tailor Magic)(Invocation)
Level: 5
Range: Self or other by touch
Duration: 3 minutes per level of experience
PPE Cost: 10
Effects:
By holding a thread between the fingers while casting this spell, the Tailor Mage can make his fingers act as the needle on a sewing machine in both the ability to make tiny uniform-sized stitches in a material, and by moving at a blindingly fast rate, moving at 10-50 stitches a second. Great for quickly doing large or oversized jobs, like pants, table clothes, drapes, and sails.
If used in hand to hand combat, this allows the mage to inflict 1d6 SDC per strike, but the cumulative pinprick wounds tend to be bloody and sting horribly. If used more humanely, this can be used in conjunction with a medical skill to quickly suture and stitch wounds (+5% to Paramedic or Field Surgery).
This spell CANNOT be used for tattooing.

Sole Saver (Invocation)
Level: 6
Range: Self or other by touch/5 ft
Duration: 24 hours per level of experience
PPE Cost: 18 (Tailor Mages can cast this spell at 15 PPE, and Provender Mages for 9 PPE)
Effects:
This shods the target’s feet in a slipper-shaped pad of ectoplasm . The temporary footwear has 20 SDC each and protects the person’s feet from heat, cold, and sharp objects such as rough terrain, broken glass, and insect bites. It does NOT add to kick damage or have any other magical properties, nd provides as much traction as a pair of socks or a cheap pair of sandals. At the end of the spell, or at the caster’s command, the extoplasmic footgear evaporates into thin air.
If used in conjunction with the Ectoplasm psionic power and an extra 15 PPE, the footwear can be stylized and made permanent.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:39 pm

Monk

Dose the "Sole Saver" spell work on equines?

Crimson
Eleven
Delight
Petracor

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:07 am

Priest

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Dose the "Sole Saver" spell work on equines?

I don't see why not.
And it WOULD save a lot of hassle and kicked equestrians.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:16 pm

Adventurer

I thought of this for an upcoming Nightbane game where one of the characters is a Nightbane Sorcerer with a teddy bear Morphus that wears a baby blanket as a cape. I could use some help deciding on the appropriate spell level and PPE cost, as well as any feedback on what could be done to make this spell better. I want it to be something available early, so it needs to be a low level (1-4) spell. Thoughts?

Security Blanket
level:
PPE cost:
target: self or one individual within 100 ft; plus one additional person or 10 additional feet per 3 levels of the caster.
duration: instant, but effect lasts for 1 minute
saving throw: standard, but may be waved if the target is not resisting

The target is wrapped in an invisible security blanket that does not hamper movement but does create a sense of comfort and security. For as long as the spell is active, the target receives a bonus to Save vs Horror Factor rolls equal to half the caster’s level (round down, minimum of +1). Should the spell be cast on someone after they fail a Save vs Horror Factor, the target may immediately reroll the save with the new bonus.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:02 pm

Priest

Father Goose wrote:
I thought of this for an upcoming Nightbane game where one of the characters is a Nightbane Sorcerer with a teddy bear Morphus that wears a baby blanket as a cape. I could use some help deciding on the appropriate spell level and PPE cost, as well as any feedback on what could be done to make this spell better. I want it to be something available early, so it needs to be a low level (1-4) spell. Thoughts?

Security Blanket
level:
PPE cost:
target: self or one individual within 100 ft; plus one additional person or 10 additional feet per 3 levels of the caster.
duration: instant, but effect lasts for 1 minute

The target is wrapped in an invisible security blanket that does not hamper movement but does create a sense of comfort and security. For as long as the spell is active, the target receives a bonus to Save vs Horror Factor rolls equal to half the caster’s level (round down, minimum of +1). Should the spell be cast on someone after they fail a Save vs Horror Factor, the target may immediately reroll the save with the new bonus.

One of my earlier creations was a Security Blanket(a LINUS), but that was a TW device/organitech symbiotic that generated low-level psionic emissions (empathic transmission) , s it wasn't;t one spell but a combination of factors. :D

But let's see...the spell FEAR is 5 PPE for 1 minute per level of experience; let's use that as a basis...
Let's up the duration of the spell, to longer; it's not a total blocking magic, but it takes the edge off Horror Factor,...so 5 minutes per PLE? That way you can make it 5 PPE, same as Fear, but longer-duration'ed.

Or you could up the PPE cost and add another saving throw against something else, like a save vs insanity or pain/torture(or both).

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:13 pm

Adventurer

taalismn wrote:
<snip>

But let's see...the spell FEAR is 5 PPE for 1 minute per level of experience; let's use that as a basis...
Let's up the duration of the spell, to longer; it's not a total blocking magic, but it takes the edge off Horror Factor,...so 5 minutes per PLE? That way you can make it 5 PPE, same as Fear, but longer-duration'ed.

Or you could up the PPE cost and add another saving throw against something else, like a save vs insanity or pain/torture(or both).

Something like this?

Security Blanket
level: 2
PPE cost: 5
duration: instant, but effect lasts for 5 minutes per level of caster's experience

or this?

Security Blanket
level: 4
PPE cost: 8
duration: instant, but effect lasts for 5 minutes per level of caster's experience

The target is wrapped in an invisible security blanket that does not hamper movement but does create a sense of comfort and security. For as long as the spell is active, the target receives a bonus to any roll to save vs Horror Factor, pain, torture, or insanity equal to half the caster’s level (round down, minimum of +1). Should the spell be cast on someone after they fail a save of one of the listed types, the target may immediately reroll the save with the new bonus.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:40 am

Priest

Both of them work just fine...maybe you call one 'Security Blanket: Lesser'('Blankie') and the other 'Security Blanket: Greater'('Fluffy') :P
'Security Blanket: SUPERIOR' would actively keep supernatural threats at bay like a Protection Circle in addition to shutting out magical and psionic attacks. :D

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:26 pm

Monk

[first draft]

Spell Strike
Level: 2
Range: Line of Sight Special
Duration: intant
Saving Throw: standard -5 without bonuses
PPE Cost: 4
Created by Rhea Dragonkin, a noble wizard with flawed sight that causes her to see the world mostly though magic's, people's and object's auras; this spell is cast at a magic user to break up the spell they are in the process of casting. Unless the targeted magic user saves vs magic the spell they are forming is broken up and half the PPE to be used for the spell is lost with he break-up.
This spells effectiveness is limited by the distance the mage can see magic or see auras. For normal magic users this is limited by the spells they use to see magic or to see auras.

[for a PF char.]
(comments?)

Crimson
Eleven
Delight
Petracor

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:26 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Lakewood, WA.
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
[first draft]

Spell Strike
Created by Rhea Dragonkin, a noble wizard with flawed sight that causes her to see the world mostly though magic's, people's and object's auras; this spell is cast at a magic user to break up the spell they are in the process of casting. Unless the targeted magic user saves vs magic the spell they are forming is broken up and half the PPE to be used for the spell is lost with he break-up.
This spells effectiveness is limited by the distance the mage can see magic or see auras. For normal magic users this is limited by the spells they use to see magic or to see auras.

[for a PF char.]
(comments?)

Spell level and PPE cost should be higher, maybe even variable depending on the magic user whose spell is being disrupted.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:59 pm

Monk

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
[first draft]

Spell Strike

[for a PF char.]
(comments?)

Spell level and PPE cost should be higher, maybe even variable depending on the magic user whose spell is being disrupted.

Spell level......so bring in some of the Druidic magic rules about which magic dominates?
Or a contested roll like in a possession or summoning domination?
Or do you mean that it should take more skill to cast than a level 2 spell?

PPE: I would rather minimize the PPE lost (which I did Bump over the normal levels for a mage losing 'concentration needed to cast a spell') by the target than increase the PPE by too much. For most mages it is already going to take a "See magic/aura" spell to use the spell strike. (If the target mage is over-acting his/her casting maybe they can forgo the Seeing spells.....)

Crimson
Eleven
Delight
Petracor

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:19 pm

Monk

taalismn wrote:
snip...
Comforter(Invocation)
Range: Touch
Duration: Permanent
PPE Cost: 12
Effects:
This spell endows a blanket or pillow with a mild standing empathic projection charge. The item feels warm to the touch(though it doesn’t show any actual change in temperature) and gives off an aura of love, safety, and comfort. Those suffering from depression will have a +2 to save vs Insanity, and have untroubled sleep(+2 save vs empathic projection and nightmare-inducing powers/spells), as long as they are touching the item. A favorite spell of nurturer-style tailor and hedge mages.

...snip

Question.....

Would an item with this enchantment hold off the Magic Limitation "Nightmares"? Rifter 27 page 62.

Crimson
Eleven
Delight
Petracor

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:25 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Lakewood, WA.
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
[first draft]

Spell Strike

(comments?)

Spell level......so bring in some of the Druidic magic rules about which magic dominates?
Or a contested roll like in a possession or summoning domination?
Or do you mean that it should take more skill to cast than a level 2 spell?

PPE: I would rather minimize the PPE lost (which I did Bump over the normal levels for a mage losing 'concentration needed to cast a spell') by the target than increase the PPE by too much. For most mages it is already going to take a "See magic/aura" spell to use the spell strike. (If the target mage is over-acting his/her casting maybe they can forgo the Seeing spells.....)

I think it would require more skill and it should require contesting of some kind to see which dominates, yes. A level 1 or 2 magic user would not know this spell. It gives you basically the same thing as negate magic that is level 8 and has a PPE cost of 30. Somewhere between the cost of negate magic and what you have there is where your spell should be. At least level 5, I should think.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:02 pm

Monk

The Energy Bolt will also stop a spell caster from finishing a spell if it hits before the target finishes casting. Yet SS doesn't do any damage to the target.
Spell Strike isn't negate magic, it only disrupts magic that is in the middle of being cast. When it is the most vulnerable, because it hasn't been formed/finalized yet.

2nd draft

Spell Strike
Level: 4
Range: Special
Saving Throw: standard -5
PPE Cost: 6
Created by Rhea Dragonkin, a noble wizard with flawed sight that causes her to see the world mostly though magic's, people's and object's auras; this spell is cast at a magic user to break up the spell they are in the process of casting. Unless the targeted magic user saves vs magic, the spell the magic user is forming, is broken up and One PPE is lost with he break-up.
This spells effectiveness is limited by the distance the mage can see magic or see auras. (If there were no Aura LoS limitations it would have a range of 100 yards). With normal experienced magic users, the main limit by the range of the spells they use to see magic or to see auras.

[Though process: about the ST: is that the target is in the process of casting a spell and thus distracted from defending vs a spell.]

Crimson
Eleven
Delight
Petracor

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:11 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
The Energy Bolt will also stop a spell caster from finishing a spell if it hits before the target finishes casting. Yet SS doesn't do any damage to the target.
Spell Strike isn't negate magic, it only disrupts magic that is in the middle of being cast. When it is the most vulnerable, because it hasn't been formed/finalized yet.

2nd draft

Spell Strike
Level: 4
Range: Special
Saving Throw: standard -5
PPE Cost: 6
Created by Rhea Dragonkin, a noble wizard with flawed sight that causes her to see the world mostly though magic's, people's and object's auras; this spell is cast at a magic user to break up the spell they are in the process of casting. Unless the targeted magic user saves vs magic, the spell the magic user is forming, is broken up and One PPE is lost with he break-up.
This spells effectiveness is limited by the distance the mage can see magic or see auras. (If there were no Aura LoS limitations it would have a range of 100 yards). With normal experienced magic users, the main limit by the range of the spells they use to see magic or to see auras.

[Though process: about the ST: is that the target is in the process of casting a spell and thus distracted from defending vs a spell.]
This seems better. Part of the objection I had was with the target magic loser lsing so much PPE but you have changed that here. But if your goal is to interrupt the spell being cast, you could do that with water and save yourself some PPE. I am looking at it as you are trying to stop magic with magic, which is why I compared it to the Negate Magic spell.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:56 pm

Priest

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
taalismn wrote:
snip...
Comforter(Invocation)
Range: Touch
Duration: Permanent
PPE Cost: 12
Effects:
This spell endows a blanket or pillow with a mild standing empathic projection charge. The item feels warm to the touch(though it doesn’t show any actual change in temperature) and gives off an aura of love, safety, and comfort. Those suffering from depression will have a +2 to save vs Insanity, and have untroubled sleep(+2 save vs empathic projection and nightmare-inducing powers/spells), as long as they are touching the item. A favorite spell of nurturer-style tailor and hedge mages.

...snip

Question.....

Would an item with this enchantment hold off the Magic Limitation "Nightmares"? Rifter 27 page 62.

I'd say yes; it's minor magic(the Comforter), but the cited limitation isn't stated as a major curse, just general trauma. So yes, I believe the Comforter would work in this case. So, sleep well.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------