Board index » Across the Megaverse® » Guild of Magic & Psionics

Post subject: Energy field question...
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:06 am

Dungeon Crawler

In your games, because the rules do not specify: is it possible for allies to fire through it without hurting it? If not, the game just got more challenging for my players.

Round 8 begins, wiz has first go so he uses energy field to hopefully buy them a bit of time for him, the cleric, and mind mage to do a quick heal on everyone. However, it was in the same round that the fire warlock finally false his emotional check roll. And casts breathe fire on the goblins on the other side of the energy field. Mind you, he is high enough level to kill the wall. it was late anyway, so I ended the game there.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:07 pm

Supreme Being

Comment: This space for rent.
My read of it is, No, the allies cannot fire through it. There's nothing in the text to indicate it only blocks one direction.

In your example, the Warlock's blast would hit and destroy the wall.

EDIT - As an aside, check the damage for the Warlock's Breath Fire spell. I don't believe it becomes more powerful for higher level characters.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:04 pm

Priest

Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay
It’s a magic wall.
No shoot thru.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:24 am

Monk

*nods* there is no text saying the mage or the mage's allies can shoot through an energy field. Wall or Field.

There is the 'however', most GMs I've played with ignored this.

Mostly I write out exactly what I mean, then sometimes get even more finicky.

My Artwork

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:23 am

Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.
I would not object to a mage shaping shooting ports into the energy field... though there would be the understanding that they would be two way.

Nothing says salsa like a grenade falling in your energy bubble.

The Truth About Ogres: Posted 2019.09.04
All Palladium Articles

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:56 pm

Knight

Anything that might allow a mage to alter the shape, like put little firing holes in it?

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:22 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Wanted to update you guys on this. The player rolled all 1s except for a 5 and a 2. So the EF actually remained for slightly longer than I had originally thought it would when the mage casted the spell...and rather fortunately for them that my dice were on their side while it was up, and before the remaining goblins were able to kill it. So they were able to semi restore SOME SDC to everyone. And the mage and goblin shaman had an incredible fight. As did the ranger and the goblin's champion.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:28 pm

Dungeon Crawler

ShadowHawk wrote:
In your games, because the rules do not specify: is it possible for allies to fire through it without hurting it? If not, the game just got more challenging for my players.

Round 8 begins, wiz has first go so he uses energy field to hopefully buy them a bit of time for him, the cleric, and mind mage to do a quick heal on everyone. However, it was in the same round that the fire warlock finally false his emotional check roll. And casts breathe fire on the goblins on the other side of the energy field. Mind you, he is high enough level to kill the wall. it was late anyway, so I ended the game there.

I would have to say that since the rules don't say otherwise, most shields would block weapons fire in both directions. However, most GMs treat it as one-way-only protection. So, I would say that it depends on what you set your difficulty settings to... :)

I also think that if you're going to do it that way it's something that the players need to be aware of before hand since so many people play it as one-way protection.

May The Force be with you always.
Torrey

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:14 pm

Hero

Well, I wound't allow for holes to shoot through. The Field has an AR, albeit it's 4, but it does have one. If you put holes in it, how does it affect the overall ER? Best to just leave it as a wall that is a wall both ways.

-Vek
"Else, it's magic portal."

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:15 pm

Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.
Veknironth wrote:
Well, I wound't allow for holes to shoot through. The Field has an AR, albeit it's 4, but it does have one. If you put holes in it, how does it affect the overall ER? Best to just leave it as a wall that is a wall both ways.

-Vek

To me, the AR is how difficult is is to damage the shield, not the people behind it.

An Energy field is a wall; most of the time, to hit something on the other side of a wall, you have to get rid of the wall, first (leaving aside penetrations and such; not possible with the energy field) Opening firing ports in the energy field (when it is created; basically, creating a wall with windows in it, instead of a straight wall) means that there's ways to damage someone through the energy field, but that would be handled with an AR or with Called Shots.

The Truth About Ogres: Posted 2019.09.04
All Palladium Articles

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:11 pm

Priest

Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay
Mark Hall wrote:
Veknironth wrote:

-Vek

To me, the AR is how difficult is is to damage the shield, not the people behind it.

Agreed.
Ninjas & Superspies mentions on page 125 that "All characters have a natural AR of 4."
Which was simply a rephrasing of the rule that all attacks need to beat a 4 in order to strike the target.

When shooting at an Energy Field, the field's AR 4 simply means that if you roll 4 or less, you miss (or fail to damage) the target.

Quote:
An Energy field is a wall; most of the time, to hit something on the other side of a wall, you have to get rid of the wall, first (leaving aside penetrations and such; not possible with the energy field)

Exactly.

Quote:
Opening firing ports in the energy field (when it is created; basically, creating a wall with windows in it, instead of a straight wall) means that there's ways to damage someone through the energy field, but that would be handled with an AR or with Called Shots.

I would not allow anybody create windows in the Energy Field, as there's no mention in the spell about the caster getting to dictate shape or special features.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:55 pm

Knight

It seems kind of weird that it's just as easy to miss a wall as it is a person, but then a 1-4 is a miss regardless of the size you're shooting at too in most cases.

Does anyone recall any bad-at-penetrating weapopons which add to the effective AR of stuff it shoots? I only remember one that lowered the effective AR

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:26 pm

Monk

Comment: The Munchkin Fairy
Old Palladium had the concept of Penetration Value, which was how effective bullets were at shooting through obsticles and hitting a target behind them. This was poorly defined and basically no one used it, and was eventually quietly dropped.

I think N&SS is the only current system that still has Penetration Value rules.

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon