Just picked it up

Chaos Earth is here & now. Let the Chaos ensue.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Ronin78
Megaversal® Ambassador

Just picked it up

Unread post by Ronin78 »

I Grabbed a copy of Chaos earth and really like what I see. For one it gives me a starting place to run some games that I always thought would be fun for Rifts, Just scaled down a little bit. I could see playing this with a group of lower powered O.O.C.s a lot more often than with Rifts.

And the other is this is a great point to run "what if" games. Like what if the happenings in the system failure game is what lead to the missile exchange. MDC Bugs and all. Or any other cross over imaginable.

One thing I think would be fun is to start a kind of "what if" involving the players as a group of fledgling cyber-knights trying to help survivors and founding a cyber-knight order way before the actual time line.
Gamers are the only people I know that can brag about the things they pretend they did.

My Gaming Blog http://gamingronin.blogspot.com/
Ronin78
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Just picked it up

Unread post by Ronin78 »

Thought I would add I think the lay out of the chaos earth book is great. I like the "fluff" to the front of the book and rules to the back.
Gamers are the only people I know that can brag about the things they pretend they did.

Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

this would be a good idea, perhaps they are martial artist who participate in the SCA, so they would have basic armor making skill as well as swordmanship.
they could lay down thier code of conduct and honor. set thier foundations of the future cyber knights.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

RoadWarriorFWaNK
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: on a death march

Unread post by RoadWarriorFWaNK »

Chaos Earth is good stuff. In a lot of ways i prefer it to full-on Rifts.
strtkwr
Explorer

Unread post by strtkwr »

It reminds me of the way Rifts started out, before it got too cumbersome with all the supplements.
Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

That is the call of the deep doo-doo bird. I must fly!
RoadWarriorFWaNK

strtkwr wrote:It reminds me of the way Rifts started out, before it got too cumbersome with all the supplements.

I can see that. But Chaos Earth is really an entirely different creature.
A Rifts campaign is likely to mirror those of classic RPGs. You go on adventures, get treasures, trade treasures for better toys to go on more adventures.
Chaos Earth is more about disaster relief. There's no time for adventure. Treasures are meaningless. All that really matters is saving lives and fighting back the tide of horror and destruction for as long as you can.
It's really epic stuff. It will be good to see the series get more love.
Lt Gargoyle
Champion

actually i see the treasure hunt in chaos earth. everything that helps your chances to live is a valuable treasure. that siad i can see your point.

strtkwr
Explorer

Unread post by strtkwr »

Lt Gargoyle wrote:actually i see the treasure hunt in chaos earth. everything that helps your chances to live is a valuable treasure. that siad i can see your point.

I agree completely with this. I see treasure hunts being far more important than in Rifts. In CE, you are looking for are vehicles, parts, and supplies to assist with disaster relief. A treasure hunt is treasure hunt, even if you are looking for food rather than rune weapons.

Ronin78
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Ronin78 »

Lt Gargoyle wrote:this would be a good idea, perhaps they are martial artist who participate in the SCA, so they would have basic armor making skill as well as swordmanship.
they could lay down thier code of conduct and honor. set thier foundations of the future cyber knights.

LOL very nice idea!!

RoadWarriorFWaNK

strtkwr wrote:
Lt Gargoyle wrote:actually i see the treasure hunt in chaos earth. everything that helps your chances to live is a valuable treasure. that siad i can see your point.

I agree completely with this. I see treasure hunts being far more important than in Rifts. In CE, you are looking for are vehicles, parts, and supplies to assist with disaster relief. A treasure hunt is treasure hunt, even if you are looking for food rather than rune weapons.

i see that more as scavenging.
In a treasure hunt, you go after what you want.
When scavenging, you go after what you need.
strtkwr
Explorer

Unread post by strtkwr »

RoadWarriorFWaNK wrote:
strtkwr wrote:

Seems more like a matter of semantics to me. After all, if I need food, guess what, I am going to want food.

Lt Gargoyle
Champion

strtkwr wrote:
RoadWarriorFWaNK wrote:
strtkwr wrote:

Seems more like a matter of semantics to me. After all, if I need food, guess what, I am going to want food.

i see this to be about the same. I find if i want to find something say like a new vehicle or power source to replace my old one. its gonna be pretty much the same. the terms maybe different. but in the end both are the same. and you will find some of those treasure you gathered up are tradable and highly sought after goods.

Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Lt Gargoyle wrote:
strtkwr wrote:
RoadWarriorFWaNK wrote:
strtkwr wrote:

There's a big difference between what you need and what you want. Needs are essential to you, wants generally aren't. If you're hungry you need the food but you don't need that brand new laptop you just want it.

i see this to be about the same. I find if i want to find something say like a new vehicle or power source to replace my old one. its gonna be pretty much the same. the terms maybe different. but in the end both are the same. and you will find some of those treasure you gathered up are tradable and highly sought after goods.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
chosenrifter
Wanderer

Unread post by chosenrifter »

You guys think Chaos Earth will Touch on Lone Star and more and other Inportent Base's and history of Rifts?
Lt Gargoyle
Champion

not likely. but there is enough information out there you could effectively run your game from lone star.

Deckard1973
D-Bee

Unread post by Deckard1973 »

Just got it. Not sure I am liking it. Dont like the idea of only being able to belong to NEMA to be a player. I get they have to start somewhere, but the root of the CS?

I hope First Responders offers more non-NEMA related OCC. Or formal military OCC/MOSs. Perhaps I will take from RECON, or other Rifts OCCs and transplant them. Yeah! That is what I will do! Maybe a few of the OCCs from System Failure. Kinda fits eh?

I will give it another look tonight and see if I warm up to it.
RoadWarriorFWaNK

Deckard1973 wrote:Just got it. Not sure I am liking it. Dont like the idea of only being able to belong to NEMA to be a player. I get they have to start somewhere, but the root of the CS?

I hope First Responders offers more non-NEMA related OCC. Or formal military OCC/MOSs. Perhaps I will take from RECON, or other Rifts OCCs and transplant them. Yeah! That is what I will do! Maybe a few of the OCCs from System Failure. Kinda fits eh?

I will give it another look tonight and see if I warm up to it.

A lot of the Dead Reign O.C.C.s fit into Chaos Earth really well.
Deckard1973
D-Bee

Unread post by Deckard1973 »

Eh, gave it another try. Still not feeling it. That is ok. It is not for everyone. Will look into the Dead Reign source books or maybe BTS. I really like Nightbane, Rifts, Robotech and even System Failure.

This one . . . I dunno. Just lacks something . . . I think I will give First Responders a try when it comes out (I am a volunteer FF, and EMT).
Jason Richards

Unread post by Jason Richards »

Deckard1973 wrote:Eh, gave it another try. Still not feeling it. That is ok. It is not for everyone. Will look into the Dead Reign source books or maybe BTS. I really like Nightbane, Rifts, Robotech and even System Failure.

This one . . . I dunno. Just lacks something . . . I think I will give First Responders a try when it comes out (I am a volunteer FF, and EMT).

I think First Responders will have exactly what you're looking for. I basically wrote it for the exact reasons that you mention.
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

I have the pdf copy......but i started reading this again, i really should pick up the actual book
The Dragon Has Spoken
tmikesecrist3
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tmikesecrist3 »

When I played CE I played a Bts-1 Arcanist based on my understanding of druidism. He did briefly join NEMA as a para arcan. That did not work out well... As NEMA in the region had been subverted by a Vampire. But the fun thing about it for me was the element of crawling form the Chaos and taking the first steps at nation building. The other player in the group was HU Super solder whom started out in NEMA. And yeah some of the Rise of magic OOC where fun npcs to. Some of which My chacter was giving formal training to. So could it be that my Character had a hand in laying the seeds in some of that turned the blue zone wizards into the lay line walker....... hummmmmm
"Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volleyed and thundered;
Stormed at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of hell
Rode the six hundred."
The charge of the light Brigade, By Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Return to “Rifts®: Chaos Earth™”