Chaos Wizard

Chaos Earth is here & now. Let the Chaos ensue.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Chaos Wizard

Unread post by Grell »

Yeah, that's right. I cannot find their XP tables, so I've been using the one for the NEMA volunteers. Does anybody know if the magic class XP tables even exist?

Chaos magic, I've ruled it that they take one action to cast and still require verbalization/hand motion (though nothing standardized or formal). Does anybody handle that differently?

Chaos Wizards as NEMA volunteers, anyone allow this? My current group has one on the payroll. I've found that off of a Ley Line, this guy is pretty much outclassed by most...well...everything supernatural. Dang if he doesn't keep trying though!

Basically, in addition to the above questions, what are your thoughts on the Chaos Wizard?
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Re: Chaos Wizard

Unread post by jaymz »

Grell wrote:Yeah, that's right. I cannot find their XP tables, so I've been using the one for the NEMA volunteers. Does anybody know if the magic class XP tables even exist?

Chaos magic, I've ruled it that they take one action to cast and still require verbalization/hand motion (though nothing standardized or formal). Does anybody handle that differently?

Chaos Wizards as NEMA volunteers, anyone allow this? My current group has one on the payroll. I've found that off of a Ley Line, this guy is pretty much outclassed by most...well...everything supernatural. Dang if he doesn't keep trying though!

Basically, in addition to the above questions, what are your thoughts on the Chaos Wizard?

Personally i woudl use something similar to teh Ley Line walker out of Rifts.

As for how fast you can cast I always thought it took longer to cast a spell in chaos earth than on rifts earth.

My thoughts? I see them as the scientists were back in medievil not trusted but working with reality. Like any OCC it has its strengths. typically hack and slash isnt it.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

Thanks for the response, I thought this topic was DOA.

Good call on the LLW XP charts. I went with Volunteers because the whole orientation of the spell craft is literally flying by the seat of your pants. Seemed excessive to put higher XP requirements on leveling up when they're pretty lucky to walk away from any other encounter.

Magic. Per RUE, levels one through five spells require only one action to cast. I see all chaos magic as being things that can be cast quickly and that, frankly, aren't too complex to figure out (like all the 1-5 invocations). That's where I derived the 1 action to cast call I made. I believe in older edition rules, magic did generally take longer to cast, but it's been a while since I've seen those or payed attention to them.

My chaos wizard player seems to have the idea that the chaos spells are more akin to natural abilities, only requiring the will manifest, but I don't think it's that simple. Magic is magic and should require some manifestation of focus, be it hand gestures or a simple, individualized mantra. Any formal practices at this point simply wouldn't exist among the protagonist wizards.

Medieval scientists similar to the infamous 'kid wizards'? Interesting comparison. I agree that their focus isn't hack n' slash, but it certainly is resource utilization. Sucks that ley lines aren't mobile though. This player is slowly working his way towards a ley line and when he does, it'll be fun to see him let loose with what he can do. Just has to get past negotiating with a demon at the moment... :twisted:
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Grell wrote:Thanks for the response, I thought this topic was DOA.

Good call on the LLW XP charts. I went with Volunteers because the whole orientation of the spell craft is literally flying by the seat of your pants. Seemed excessive to put higher XP requirements on leveling up when they're pretty lucky to walk away from any other encounter.

Magic. Per RUE, levels one through five spells require only one action to cast. I see all chaos magic as being things that can be cast quickly and that, frankly, aren't too complex to figure out (like all the 1-5 invocations). That's where I derived the 1 action to cast call I made. I believe in older edition rules, magic did generally take longer to cast, but it's been a while since I've seen those or payed attention to them.

My chaos wizard player seems to have the idea that the chaos spells are more akin to natural abilities, only requiring the will manifest, but I don't think it's that simple. Magic is magic and should require some manifestation of focus, be it hand gestures or a simple, individualized mantra. Any formal practices at this point simply wouldn't exist among the protagonist wizards.

Medieval scientists similar to the infamous 'kid wizards'? Interesting comparison. I agree that their focus isn't hack n' slash, but it certainly is resource utilization. Sucks that ley lines aren't mobile though. This player is slowly working his way towards a ley line and when he does, it'll be fun to see him let loose with what he can do. Just has to get past negotiating with a demon at the moment... :twisted:

Actually I thought it said it took longer in the Chaos Earth book, but i could be easily mistaken.

I thougth Chaos Wizards were akin to the "modern" day Mystic so they would b fairly intuitive as opposed to study.

I thoughtthe comparison to the medievil scientists was a valid one because back then science was a form of "magic" as it were.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

Interesting point on them being akin to mystics, but mystics only have invocation spells and those still require verbalization and gestures.

One of the things I don't like about Rise of Magic is the lack of guidance concerning the chaos magic, though I suppose it wouldn't be chaotic of it had a set of hard guidlines now would it? 8-)

Jason Richards
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Jason Richards »

Tables will be in the next printing, and reproduced in an errata. Just FYI.
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

So all of you out there buy out the present stock of 'Rise of Magic" so we all can finally stop using the LLW and Mystic and Shifter tables for their predecessor classes.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

And knowing is half the battle!

Jason, thanks for weighing in on the XP tables like you did when I brought it up in a different thread earlier. This topic suddenly jumped to life and the XP question with it. I'll be holding out for the errata PDF, but it's good to know the changes will see print.

Return to “Rifts®: Chaos Earth™”