Modern MD Weapons

Chaos Earth is here & now. Let the Chaos ensue.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: Modern MD Weapons

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

personally i'd just transfer over the SLAP rounds from robotech. you'd still need large caliber weapons (.30 and up), but those and rocket propelled grenades would give lower tech groups a fighting chance.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

WildWalker wrote:For the record all of this is based on 1" of penetration of Rolled Homogenized Steel Armor Plate being good for 1d6 MD.

Very nice work :bandit:

For my money, I go with 1" of penetration of RHAe is 1 MDC...

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

Dude, very nice!

Now I'll just cut 'n' paste that into my Master Chart of Doom and be quite happy.

I know what you mean about the laser pistol doing the same damage as a .50 cal on full auto...

Spoiler:
Not be a whiner or an MDC spoil-sport, I just don't see man portable weapons ever doing that amount of damage, and if they ever do...I don't really like that in my games.

Normally I just say that if it is under 10 tons, all the "MDC" stuff = 1/10th it's MDC value...

That makes it more powerful than "old" stuff, but not full on munchkin fuel...

Thanks again.

Slightly off topic...does anyone ever think that gamers would actually be better at employing weapons/powers than those who actually use this stuff IRL.

Seriously, the people who carry around weapons of all types are remarkably uninformed (and very disinterested) in the capabilities of the tools of thier trade...the exception being "Targeteers" who are WAY more interested in weapons effects than is healthy... (a lot of 3D modeling and heavy math...)

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Unread post by ZINO »

i love it man
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
tmikesecrist3
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tmikesecrist3 »

sorry about bring this one back form the dead but I have been thinking a lot about this off and on for a few years. and I was wondering if some of our military arms and vehicle are already mdc. I am started to think that the hole md revaluation was in making the metals lighter and maybe stronger.. the fact that mdc armors or posable for infantry. and in new small Arms... I have read in one of the books might have been the conversion book that if a weapon inflected more the 100 sdc it would inflict one md.... my thought is what if I changed the ratio form 100/1 to 10/1.....

in words for say a 45 that does 4d6 if I recall that means it will max out at 24 sdc or 2 md.... the old wilks laser form the main book would do damages = to 10 to 60 sdc..... it might make md attacks a little more serviable but it does give mega-damage weapons and armor a deffent edge.

I really don't think it would unbalance things beouce most of the demons and monsters would just get mad if you did 2 mb to it

thoughts?
"Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volleyed and thundered;
Stormed at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of hell
Rode the six hundred."
The charge of the light Brigade, By Alfred, Lord Tennyson
tmikesecrist3
Dungeon Crawler

thing is I don't really wont to come up with Armor Ratings. and most md weapons do less damage dice then sd weapons. so why would people use them unless they are lighter (might be) or have better armor penetration. thats one reason I was goign to go 10:1 that because that would be easy to do on they fly and it gives a reason for people to use them as they are capable of more damage.

in short it makes the older arms 2nd rate
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volleyed and thundered;
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of hell
Rode the six hundred."
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

WildWalker wrote:
tmikesecrist3 wrote:thing is I don't really wont to come up with Armor Ratings. and most md weapons do less damage dice then sd weapons. so why would people use them unless they are lighter (might be) or have better armor penetration. thats one reason I was goign to go 10:1 that because that would be easy to do on they fly and it gives a reason for people to use them as they are capable of more damage.

5:1 means that light MDC weapons (1d6 pistols for instance) do the damage of rifles... which is pretty cool.

WildWalker.

I'm just thinking that the ion pistol set to pulse is a fierce proposition at that point. I actually like 5:1 better than 10:1.
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
tmikesecrist3
Dungeon Crawler

ok if I went 5:1 that would mean the same .45 hand gun would do a max of 4 md not two.... that not bad at all... really for a 2nd rate weapon
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volleyed and thundered;
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of hell
Rode the six hundred."
Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

WildWalker wrote:
Grell wrote:
WildWalker wrote:
tmikesecrist3 wrote:thing is I don't really wont to come up with Armor Ratings. and most md weapons do less damage dice then sd weapons. so why would people use them unless they are lighter (might be) or have better armor penetration. thats one reason I was goign to go 10:1 that because that would be easy to do on they fly and it gives a reason for people to use them as they are capable of more damage.

5:1 means that light MDC weapons (1d6 pistols for instance) do the damage of rifles... which is pretty cool.

WildWalker.

I'm just thinking that the ion pistol set to pulse is a fierce proposition at that point. I actually like 5:1 better than 10:1.

:D

It's high enough to make people dive for cover if they don't have MDC armor but low enough to be (barely) survivable.

WildWalker

So what are your thoughts on AR assignments to MDC structures? I'd think some kind of generic scale; 15 for non EBA, 16 for EBA, 17 for PA/'borgs and 18 for bots?

EDIT: Can't spell today. :)
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
tmikesecrist3
Dungeon Crawler

thats one reasion why I am not going with a state md to sd conversion............ is I dont want to finger out ARs
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volleyed and thundered;
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of hell
Rode the six hundred."
Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

Seems quick and dirty enough for me; good show, sir. :D

Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

WildWalker wrote:
Young Freud wrote:The ESAPI plates I think have a bit more protection than I give them, but then a standard Class IV vest in Dead Reign is pretty up there. This list of really light MD armors should have tactical vest plate carriers, but that could be used for the ESAPIs. I think stuff like the Crye Chassis armor or a EOD suit might be full-on, no-AR, MD protective gear.

In practice the AR is almost more important than the MDC. While 5 MDC (500 SDC) seems a bit high, in play I have found that it works pretty well and the AR makes Players REALLY cautious.

How do you mean - really an AR doesn't mean more caution, it means abosolutely avoiding any MD area as much as if they had no armour anyway?
Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

AR makes sense for MD armor and vehicles if the ratio has been reversed. The reality is that even in MD armor as written, one should still be cautious before exposing themselves to enemy firepower.

tmikesecrist3
Dungeon Crawler

you would think I how ever have played with ppl that never got that it was a good idea to keep there heads down
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volleyed and thundered;
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of hell
Rode the six hundred."
Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

It is fun to be reckless, I will admit. :)

tmikesecrist3
Dungeon Crawler

Is it fun to get turned into a pencil in the first 5 min of the fire fight?
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volleyed and thundered;
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of hell
Rode the six hundred."
Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

tmikesecrist3 wrote:Is it fun to get turned into a pencil in the first 5 min of the fire fight?

How would one get turned into a pencil during a firefight? Certain death isn't always inevitable. Fortune favors the bold, after all. :)

tmikesecrist3
Dungeon Crawler

how does one get turned into a pencil in a firefight? one gets filled so full of lead that he can be used as such :-P :lol:
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volleyed and thundered;
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of hell
Rode the six hundred."
Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

tmikesecrist3 wrote:how does one get turned into a pencil in a firefight? one gets filled so full of lead that he can be used as such :-P :lol:

I suppose that would be a problem. :)

Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

Grell wrote:Fortune favors the bold, after all. :)

No.

Memory favours recalling only those who happened to live.

Return to “Rifts®: Chaos Earth™”