(Unlikely) Books you want

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Thom001
Explorer

(Unlikely) Books you want

Unread post by Thom001 »

Hey everyone, as a GM (or a player) is there a reference book, setting, niche item book, etc that you would want Palladium to come out with? I was reading the description for Vol.1 of the bestiary and the monsters and animals book. It got me thinking if there was a book of just common objects (2x4, aspirin, splints, etc.) that gave rudimentary costs, time to build, etc i think that might be kinda useful. I also think small book of maps that pullout would be great. Is there or has there been anything you've been like man, this would make x or y easier? Thanks.

Also how do you guys store your stuff? I mean your dice, character data, writing utensils, you know just housekeeping stuff? Currently I use a 90s era trapper keeper with a 3 ring binder pencil case. But I just want to up my game so to speak on this.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: (Unlikely) Books you want

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The only thing I can think of that doesn't break the 'we already printed it into a book, go buy the books' principle that PB typically runs by....is a general store sort of book that lists the high and low prices for items game to game.
-----
for actually playing; since I only play online; it is all on the computer.
For writing new things; like the new psionic crafter class I posted in the PF forum or my HU based expansion of the starship/spaceship construction tables I ususally write things out on paper first, then rewrite,....., the a final rewrite into the computer.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

This has been discussed a few times in other topics but what I have always wanted is series of digital products that I call Rogues Galleries and all they are is a collection of single sheets for various generic bad guys with just average stats and equipment. No names, no physical descriptions, just basic stats on standard bad guys so GMs don't have to create everything. Examples:

1) Xiticix - Just what it sounds like 1 example of each type of the bugs with a picture, average attributes, combat bonuses, basic skills / abilities and standard gear so if I'm running an encounter with the bugs I don't have to create each and every one.

2) CS Squad - 1 of each of the RUE CS OCCs with everything I said above.

3) Heroes Unlimited - Random street gang 3 to 5 different types that you could mix and match.

4) Heroes Unlimited - Police SWAT team

etc.

As for how I carry stuff around I actually don't have a lot. When I am creating characters or planning a game I use physical books but when I'm running a game I am almost exclusively PDFs so all I really need is my tablet and a GMs screen. Sometimes I still use my laptop. I have a messenger's bag for pencils and dice and the like.

All of my characters are on word and excel and I reprint them at least every level if not more often so I just keep printed characters in manila folders in a filing cabinet and just pull out the ones I need when I game.

If you are somebody who like to take a lot of books or stuff to games I highly recommend one of those rolling crates from like office depot. I use them for work or to carry swag at cons.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kraynic »

I'm not sure what I would want on other books. I generally only buy books that I am really confident I will use unless they are part of a package deal with other things I am sure I want. I'm one of those customers that really isn't helpful to a publisher, since I don't necessarily jump on new editions of systems or feel the need to collect books.

As far as what I use for games:
In person, I use a backpack and haul the physical books (usually just 3-4), a binder (that is mostly composed of folders for npcs, maps, and blank character sheets), separate and individual folders with various copied rule texts from books I don't otherwise feel the need to carry, and a tablet of graph paper. A couple mechanical pencils are usually thrown in and left to fend for themselves among the books. Oh, and dice. Can't forget the dice... I have done leather work off and on, so I have a leather dice bag for dice I use, and some little small parts cloth bags that have come with various things to hold my "loaner" sets of dice.

Online, I sometimes will refer to a physical book to look up something, and they are close to hand on a shelf above my desk. However, unless you like reading all the rules to your players, it is nice to have at least a good bit of the basic rules recreated where players can see them. Having pdfs available is pretty important to make online play easier when setting up access to info inside a game. Picking up the first edition fantasy deal in 2017 from Bundle of Holding made life so much easier as I was setting up for my first online game around that time. Pretty hard to copy/paste content from the physical books... Even copy/pasting from the pdf still requires a fair bit of editing at times. I'm waiting for the Heroes Unlimited deal to come back around on Bundle of Holding to expand things a bit and maybe run some TMNT/After the Bomb sort of games, or at least one shots.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Thom001 wrote:Hey everyone, as a GM (or a player) is there a reference book, setting, niche item book, etc that you would want Palladium to come out with? I was reading the description for Vol.1 of the bestiary and the monsters and animals book. It got me thinking if there was a book of just common objects (2x4, aspirin, splints, etc.) that gave rudimentary costs, time to build, etc i think that might be kinda useful. I also think small book of maps that pullout would be great. Is there or has there been anything you've been like man, this would make x or y easier? Thanks.

Also how do you guys store your stuff? I mean your dice, character data, writing utensils, you know just housekeeping stuff? Currently I use a 90s era trapper keeper with a 3 ring binder pencil case. But I just want to up my game so to speak on this.

I'd love PB to come out with a construction system like R. Talsorian's Mekton Zeta Plus. It covers construction of everything. It would cover all the items you listed plus weapons and vehicles to include mecha.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Thom001
Explorer

Unread post by Thom001 »

Warshield73 wrote:This has been discussed a few times in other topics but what I have always wanted is series of digital products that I call Rogues Galleries and all they are is a collection of single sheets for various generic bad guys with just average stats and equipment. No names, no physical descriptions, just basic stats on standard bad guys so GMs don't have to create everything. Examples:

1) Xiticix - Just what it sounds like 1 example of each type of the bugs with a picture, average attributes, combat bonuses, basic skills / abilities and standard gear so if I'm running an encounter with the bugs I don't have to create each and every one.

3) Heroes Unlimited - Random street gang 3 to 5 different types that you could mix and match.

etc.

As for how I carry stuff around I actually don't have a lot. When I am creating characters or planning a game I use physical books but when I'm running a game I am almost exclusively PDFs so all I really need is my tablet and a GMs screen. Sometimes I still use my laptop. I have a messenger's bag for pencils and dice and the like.

All of my characters are on word and excel and I reprint them at least every level if not more often so I just keep printed characters in manila folders in a filing cabinet and just pull out the ones I need when I game.

If you are somebody who like to take a lot of books or stuff to games I highly recommend one of those rolling crates from like office depot. I use them for work or to carry swag at cons.

This sounds great. But also I would love a book on the Xiticix homeworld.
Thom001
Explorer

Unread post by Thom001 »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Thom001 wrote:Hey everyone, as a GM (or a player) is there a reference book, setting, niche item book, etc that you would want Palladium to come out with? I was reading the description for Vol.1 of the bestiary and the monsters and animals book. It got me thinking if there was a book of just common objects (2x4, aspirin, splints, etc.) that gave rudimentary costs, time to build, etc i think that might be kinda useful. I also think small book of maps that pullout would be great. Is there or has there been anything you've been like man, this would make x or y easier? Thanks.

I'd love PB to come out with a construction system like R. Talsorian's Mekton Zeta Plus. It covers construction of everything. It would cover all the items you listed plus weapons and vehicles to include mecha.

I will have to look this up. But it sounds like just the reference book for a things misc and random.
Peacebringer
Adventurer

Unread post by Peacebringer »

Pre-Internet, I would use a napsack, folders and a dice bag, just like going to school; I had to be mobile with my RPG-stuff. However, post-internet, when I was living in South America, I had a laptop and .PDFs of everything; you have no idea how amazed I was that all my music and game books and material could fit on a portable laptop or a thumb-drive. When needed to print, I would get to a local Staples, with my thumb-drive. South America was about ten-years behind in computer-technology and about twenty in music. They still had CDs, video-rentals and mullets.
zerombr
Adventurer
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84

Unread post by zerombr »

Zer0 Kay wrote:I'd love PB to come out with a construction system like R. Talsorian's Mekton Zeta Plus. It covers construction of everything. It would cover all the items you listed plus weapons and vehicles to include mecha.

I'd like to do that too
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
"Saving the World", and "On the Hunt" - Rifter 83
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Warshield73 wrote:This has been discussed a few times in other topics but what I have always wanted is series of digital products that I call Rogues Galleries and all they are is a collection of single sheets for various generic bad guys with just average stats and equipment. No names, no physical descriptions, just basic stats on standard bad guys so GMs don't have to create everything. Examples:

etc.

I'd go a step farther and want something like what Grimhollow is doing with their Monster Folio.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Zer0 Kay wrote:

etc.

I'd go a step farther and want something like what Grimhollow is doing with their Monster Folio.

I'm not familiar with that, what would it add?
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Warshield73 wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

etc.

I'm not familiar with that, what would it add?

More the cards that come with it. So each creature has a set of cards when you roll lore you take the roll and you get whatever cards are below it. I think it starts with appearance and then each level is more detail about the creature. I think I'd add one lower level if you JUST passed the skill check the image you get is based on conjecture. The second, then details also based of conjecture... maybe it should be if failed and it gets worse by how much you failed.
Sambot
Adventurer

Unread post by Sambot »

Here's my currant list of books I want.

A compiled equipment book and construction rules book mentioned above would be cool.

I would love a compiled megaversal skills book to cover all the games with some skills being rewritten to better reflect reality. Some skills like photography don't cover everything. There's taking the picture and there's processing the picture. Taking the picture with different equipment can be handled pretty much with skill penalties. Processing though has various methods and should be different skills. Just because someone can edit a photo on their phone and print it on a printer doesn't mean that they can they can develop film and print a picture in a lab. You'd have a basic skill and then a specialty. Medical Doctor would be another example of a basic skill with a lot of specialties.
More skills could also be added with notes on how to convert them between the games. Lists for each game could be included because they do have different skill categories. Some blank space to pencil in new skills would be good too.

A character book covering common OCCs/RCC/PCCs and conversions between regions or organizations. For example, the Coalition States Military OCCs are used as the basis for many other militaries. But is it just the original Rifts RPG CS OCCs or do they include all the newer OCCs, or does it vary between states? What other OCCs from other places fit into the Coalition or other militaries? What MOSs might be available to various OCCs and realms?
This wouldn't just be for Rifts Earth but also Orbit and Dimensions too. It could also list common skills by region/country as well as places of higher learning where characters can learn more skills. And definitely include skills from the 1st edition books. Radiation Technology???

An updated Rifts Mutants in Orbit book. Updating and expanding what's there as well as reusing OCCs, MOSs, and skills as possible from Robotech. Somethings would obviously be out but others like "Enlisted Fleet Crewman or Infantry Soldier" should fit right in with some editing.
An updated AtB Mutants in Orbit book. Expanding and updating what's there as well as including as much as possible from TMNT Galaxy Guide and Transdimensional TMNT, updating as necessary. It'd also be a good place for 1st Ed skills like the three Radiation Technology skills.
It'd be nice if the other AtB books were updated and expanded upon too
More Aliens Unlimited books covering the entire Megaverse. Not just biped aliens either but other types, Mermaids, Centaurs, Naga, etc, as well as examples of their technology and ships, or lack there of.
Updated compendium of weapons and vehicles.
All the other promised books, even if only in RAW format.
Fenris2020
Adventurer
Comment: Go woke, go broke.

Unread post by Fenris2020 »

Rifts: Scotland & Ireland
BtS Arcanum and Tome Grotesque
More material for Splicers might be nice.
PF Old Kingdoms
Ninjas and Superspies source-books.
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
Thom001
Explorer

Unread post by Thom001 »

Back again. First I want to state I'm not entirely sure what necroposting is, so if this violates that rule I apologise ahead of time and will make a new thread if necessary.

But I saw this topic of mine and wanted to add that another really cool thing I saw for another rpg system was cards that have lists of spells on them. I think a set of cards that have just common spells of a type or level put on each card (like fire spells, waters spells, most used lvl 1 spells etc) printed out in landscape on the card with an image behind the words and some type of image on the other side would be awesome.

Also does palladium make any dice?
Thom001
Explorer

Unread post by Thom001 »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:The only thing I can think of that doesn't break the 'we already printed it into a book, go buy the books' principle that PB typically runs by....is a general store sort of book that lists the high and low prices for items game to game.

I like this.
desrocfc
Explorer
Comment: Promoting great storytelling fiction and in games, for GMs and players alike.

Unread post by desrocfc »

Novels; more novels.
Francois DesRochers

http://www.scholarlyadventures.com/blog [A Rifts RPG Blog]
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Thom001 wrote:Hey everyone, as a GM (or a player) is there a reference book, setting, niche item book, etc that you would want Palladium to come out with?

Well, I've been wanting a Chi Town book for about 32 years now.
It's only the heart of the North America setting.

Similarly, I've been curious about Shaedo.

Also, I've always thought that Palladium should do Corporation Books for various companies, that could work as reference guides, insight into the company itself, and as a product catalog for the company in question.

A book on the Xiticix Home World would be cool, too.

I'd love a book on SDC weaponry and armor in Rifts, stuff bridging the gap between "SDC guns we have today" and "MD guns of the future," and same with armor and other tech.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Fenris2020
Adventurer
Comment: Go woke, go broke.

Unread post by Fenris2020 »

desrocfc wrote:Novels; more novels.

I agree.
Most game companies make about as much money on novels as they do the actual game books, if not more.
Of course, that means the authors have to turn in a well-written and coherent product; as opposed to the first Rifts novel, which I guess had a manuscript that was thrown into a box, shuffled a bit on the way, and whatever didn't fall out got printed. Or the second one, which had so many sentence fragments, spelling errors, and so on I didn't get through chapter 3. I haven't even bothered to try the third one...
Palladium needs a working editor or two for the game-books as well, but those novels wouldn't have been printed at all if they hadn't been done "in-house".
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
matt.reed
Wanderer
Comment: wrote several power cat updates for the Rifter, and Cascade
guidesmegaverse.podbean.com

Unread post by matt.reed »

=

I actually started a lil thing about this. Are you on the discord? I could show it to you.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

matt.reed wrote:

=

I actually started a lil thing about this. Are you on the discord? I could show it to you.

I have a discord account and I am a member of Rifts GM and Palldium Community, but I am rarely on. I just have a hard time with the way it is set up and never spent the time learning the interface.

I'll try and find what you are talking about though.
thorinteague
D-Bee

Unread post by thorinteague »

A compendium of modern weapons, tools, gear, equipment, skills, and character classes that is actually.... modern...

Return to “G.M.s Forum”