The official Dimension Book 9 thread...

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

The official Dimension Book 9 thread...

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

This week, as I looked at my list of active topics, I took note that there were no less then four separate threads that asked the question of what Dimension Book #9 was or is supposed to be, and what has happened or is happening with it. This thread will answer your questions, because obviously, people are very concerned with the current hole in the Dimension book line.

Dimension Book #9 was supposed to be a supplement for the Phase World setting called the United Worlds of Warlock. It would have outlined and described in detail the third most influential power bloc in the Three Galaxies, but for various reasons the initial version of the project failed to materialize. Time passed. Then, about a year ago, after having written a few projects for Palladium Books, I was asked whether or not I might like to try and write a new version of it.

At first, I was unsure that a book dedicated to a single power bloc was even needed. After all, there's no Consortium of Civilized Worlds or Transgalatic Empire books. However, once I started taking a close look at all the established UWW material, I came up with an entirely new general concept, and once pitched to Kevin, it was approved. Work is only just now beginning on United Worlds because even as I submitted my proposal, I was mired deeply in Thundercloud Galaxy (which is going to kick butt, BTW) with a smattering of Wormwood Addenda on the side (a four-part expansion to Dimension Book #1 appearing this year throughout the Rifter).

I have already talked about my overall idea for United Worlds on both of the Palladium-oriented podcasts, Echoes from the Rifts, and Gateway to the Megaverse, so I don't believe it would be any violation of my non-disclosure agreement to repeat it here.

The United Worlds of Warlock occupies 20% of the Anvil Galaxy, and is a mixed species society which uses the power of magic preeminently. That is to say, it is a collection of supernatural beings, and powerful mages in a space opera setting... which at first glance makes no sense. This is addressed in the book's introductory argument where I lay down the following, provable, premise: that everyone in the Three Galaxies believes in magic, but differs in how they justify that belief. For example, to highly technological and scientific societies, "magic" is simply a childish name for the cosmological constant; the unobservable, all-pervasive energy that binds the universe together. They know it exists, but are unable to harness it (unlike other intrinsic forces like light or gravity). Mystic cultures, of course, believe in magic as is normal for any "man of magic" OCC... however, thanks to the influence of the United Worlds, magic, or "quintessence", is thought to be the fifth of five elements that make up the universe.

Finally, there is a minority of people who try to bridge these two schools of thought. They practice the so-called Articulus Theorem; that magic can be channeled through machinery but only with the power of belief/thought. These are the techno-wizards and techno-smithies of the game setting.

I feel that it’s important to establish this right off the bat, because it affects how the other powers in the three Galaxies see the United Worlds. To anyone on the outside looking in, the UWW seems to have the highest technical capability around, for they have somehow learned how to harness the cosmological constant and put it to work. Theirs is a civilization where distance doesn’t really have any meaning anymore, because thanks to the Celestial Skein (an elaborate system of rifts and pyramids) they can teleport instantly across light-years with no more thought to the act than you or I would to taking a subway downtown. Their space fleet, while much smaller than either the CCW or the TGE, can use the tangents (giant, orbital pyramids) to leap form one star system to another in a few minutes, always able to be exactly when and where it is needed most. They have instantaneous communication over galactic distances (again, thanks to the harnessing of rifts), unsurpassed medical care, and even limited forms of time travel. It would appear that the United Worlds are the pinnacle of civilization and achievement.

But there is a little-known downside to this utopia. As established in Rifts World Book 2: Atlantis, every time a rift opens or closes, ripples are sent throughout the megaverse which attract supernatural being like flies to honey. With 400 billion people using rifts on a daily basis…well, that’s a lot of unwanted attention. The result (the environmental consequence, one might say) is that the UWW is at war. Special Forces teams fight constantly to keep the monsters and horrors attracted to the United Worlds in check and most importantly, out of public eye. For you see, if everyone knew how damaging the overuse of rifts is, then the union would quickly fall apart (and be easy prey for any one the UWW’s enemies). The people working unaccredited in shadows to preserve the status quo are the Player Characters.

The book will be relatively short since there are already more than 50 pages of printed material concerning the United Worlds spread throughout the various Phase World books. It will however include a few new races, new monsters, and a UWW ten most wanted list.

I hope that answers some questions and allays some fears.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Klaus027
D-Bee

Re: The official Dimension Book 9 thread...

Unread post by Klaus027 »

Your description looks fantastic. I really look forward to this book.

Keep up the good work.
Todd Yoho
Adventurer

Unread post by Todd Yoho »

Win. :ok:
Insert 400 character limit here.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Wow...that re-ignites my interst in this book!
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

I'll have to see the book to make a judgement call.
Honestly, I preffer how I've been forced to establish the UWW CCW and TGE as a GM on my own.
Who knows, this book ever sees print, you might be able to persuade me to change my mind and ret-con :D
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Carl Gleba
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

taalismn wrote:Wow...that re-ignites my interst in this book!

You should hear him tell it on the podcasts. Two :ok: :ok:

Carl
ImageImage
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

It really does sound very cool. I know it is on my purchase list. :ok:
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

Hopefully we get to some of these on the official list again soon!
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

He's got a plan. A very good plan. OVer on the pod cast he has conver some of those plans. You should listen to them. Here is a link to those pod cast. http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/talkCast.jsp?masterId=50867&cmd=tc They are worth listening too!

HH....FIE
Grandil
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: 'tis an ill wind that blows no minds, Sometimes a Cigar is just a Cigar-Jung to Freud
425 Geek Points "There is NO separation between God, & Man" Joseph Campbell

Unread post by Grandil »

A list of Space-spells would be kewl! with what ya'll said too!
Sometimes a Cigar is just a cigar-Jung to Freud
Feel it- Freud's Cigar, 300 geek points!
Aramanthus
Monk

We've been waiting for that for awhile now. You'd have do that yourself until someone does it officially or unofficially.

HH....FIE
Grandil
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: 'tis an ill wind that blows no minds, Sometimes a Cigar is just a Cigar-Jung to Freud
425 Geek Points "There is NO separation between God, & Man" Joseph Campbell

Unread post by Grandil »

Aramanthus wrote:We've been waiting for that for awhile now. You'd have do that yourself until someone does it officially or unofficially.

Of course, theres Rifter 10.............
Sometimes a Cigar is just a cigar-Jung to Freud
Feel it- Freud's Cigar, 300 geek points!
Aramanthus
Monk

Well yeah! You're right. Although someday well get more of them!

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

I know a lot of people want this book. I know I do too. Hopefully it's on Braden's too do list.

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

I know. But we'll suffer together until that missing book is eventually in our hands.

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

I'm sure that there is a group for that sort of therapy. I think Duck-foot runs it. So you might have to become a minion of his. :D

HH....FIE
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I hope they make it one day.

Maybe give a number of Planets that are in the UWW.
Aramanthus
Monk

I actually thought Braden was working on it. It'll just be a number of years or months until he gets it finished. Because I thought he was working on the other two galaxies books too.

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

Cool! It was a new one I wasn't familiar with! Glad to hear it!

HH....FIE
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

I totally forgot Braden was working on this book. I've never played a phase world game, only used stuff from it in my Rifts game, but Fleets, Thundercloud, UWW are all on my most wanted list. Maybe then I'll convince my group to play.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Aramanthus
Monk

It's a heck of a lot of fun! It's one of my favorite settings. I'm always happy to see any new product for Phase World.

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

Well we have quite a list of them over on the RCC thread.

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

That's not too shabby. I think there'd be enough for a book for them.

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

They won't sticky the thread? WOW! I'm surprised and shocked. Maybe if it had more activity. I'm still using it as source material.

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

The stuff were doing over there is for an RCCs of the Three Galaxies. If they choose to use it than very cool. Actually Braden is going to work on the UWW book after the other Galaxies book is out.

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

I know. All people have to do is to read the other post to confirm that he said that. I'm looking forward to that one too.

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

I know. I'm looking forward to it too!

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

The fact that it'll be something that everyone will want to have it a given.

HH....FIE
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Ninjabunny wrote:
Aramanthus wrote:I know. All people have to do is to read the other post to confirm that he said that. I'm looking forward to that one too.

I got a list of whats up and only a few things are in the way of D-book nine, Given his speed and love of the setting I give it a year maybe two.

I expect the manuscript will be done before Christams 09. When will it be published????????? anyones guess. Although given the Minion war, UWW may be fast tracked.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Ninjabunny wrote:
Greyaxe wrote:
Ninjabunny wrote:
Aramanthus wrote:I know. All people have to do is to read the other post to confirm that he said that. I'm looking forward to that one too.

I got a list of whats up and only a few things are in the way of D-book nine, Given his speed and love of the setting I give it a year maybe two.

I expect the manuscript will be done before Christams 09. When will it be published????????? anyones guess. Although given the Minion war, UWW may be fast tracked.

I would hope it would get fast tracked.

Given recent news about Palladium releases, looks like next year at best, and after Dimensional outbreak.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Daniel2112 wrote:I said before and I'll say again, I will be very much surprised if we ever see this book.

I expect Bray to have it written by December.

You will be surprised, and pleased.
Braden Campbell

This book will also try to resolve the fact that the Space Minotaurs fight selflessly for the common good, yet are still Selfish or Evil by alignment.

It's basically a battle Nature versus Nurture....
Braden, GMPhD

Saitou Hajime
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Hardcore Palladium Fan
Gun Lover
Canadian eh?

Unread post by Saitou Hajime »

Sounds like an interesting Plan!
Subjugator wrote:I got my first job at age 12 (maybe 11, but I think 12) and worked more or less continuously until today. I had to so I could eat properly. Doing so as a kid detracted from my educational experience, which was bad enough to begin with . . .

Gingrich is wrong.

/Sub
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

the thing is as I see it is that PB has things to do on it's plate and then they get excited about a project adding it to the Top of the plate instead the side or bottom.

So things like the minion war books, which were to have been done originally spring of last year (my best memory), still aren't done.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

WB 12 = Awesome. Next up Thundercloud Galaxy, then UWW I believe. Check the press releases for dates.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

Any updates as to when this book will come along? Next year?
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
Nadrakas
Explorer
Comment: Strength through Unity, Unity through Faith!

Unread post by Nadrakas »

Ninjabunny wrote:Well it's kind of dumb to have a list go books1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,_,10,11 Ect. I HATE That gap in my collection :badbad: *throws fit like baby* :lol: I am really waiting for D-book 9.

You and me too pal. :badbad:

(Begin Paluka act from an Olde Bugs Bunny Cartoon...not knowing what a Ninja is...but knowing that Bunnies are soft and cudly...and harmless)
(Grabs Ninjabunny) Oooo...Bunny. This is my Friend George. I'll love him and hug him and pet him...and squeeze him... :D

~ N
Chicago Broadcast, 12 DEC 2098, M.P.: wrote:We are the People of Earth. Those Things are not of Earth. Our path is clear and simple. We belong here, they do not. I, for one, will do everything in my power to close the Gates so we can send those things back to whatever Hell they came from!! NOW, WHO IS WITH ME!!!

Visit Nadrakas's RPG Corner
jarlaxle
Explorer
Comment: Any questions, comments, concerns, feel free to write them on a $20 bil and send them to me.

Unread post by jarlaxle »

Yeah im hoping for suits mages can cast through, Also quick magic question in a suit is the mage still able to cast spells affecting him self? ie breathe with out air sustain.
I support Hades in the minion war
They say life is short, but it is the longest thing you will do
Characters:
Rachel Riftrider
Story Logs:
Time Marshalls: Agent Riftrider
Braden Campbell

Just to let you know, UWW is NOT dead. In fact, I'll begin playtesting it when I get back from the creator's conference.
Braden, GMPhD

jarlaxle
Explorer
Comment: Any questions, comments, concerns, feel free to write them on a $20 bil and send them to me.

Unread post by jarlaxle »

I know its not dead but hey if its not done maybe it will produce (a wish list lol but hey dont make it any later on my account. or they'll all hate me ;)

a mage's space suit.

Or aliens with high PPE that can choose magic occ.

p.s. did i mention i would like to see a suit a mage can cast through? lol UWW is the only ones i see making it.
I'm sure UWW will blow us away and you are right they are unique enough to warrent a book.

Keep up the good work.
I support Hades in the minion war
They say life is short, but it is the longest thing you will do
Characters:
Rachel Riftrider
Story Logs:
Time Marshalls: Agent Riftrider
Hot Rod
Wanderer

Unread post by Hot Rod »

Braden Campbell wrote:The book will be relatively short since there are already more than 50 pages of printed material concerning the United Worlds spread throughout the various Phase World books. It will however include a few new races, new monsters, and a UWW ten most wanted list.

New classes? Definitely need an updated Pyramid master/transport mage and UWW classes that the non-humans of UWW can take since they make up a good portion of the population.
Perhaps an explorer/scholar that seeks out new magic to bring back to UWW. (ties in with Thundercloud)

Mage EBA - definitely (include options for non-humanoids as well)
Updated crystal power armor (perhaps rules for adapting PA to non humanoids?)
At least a small table for creating UWW ships (include suggested prices!).

Alternately, they might make decent Rifter articles. :)
<- Banned from Explorers Unlimited for Objecting to EU GM Abuse. Be warned, GMs play favorites, and ignore rule books if it suits them. They also are not afraid to apply the rules to one person in the party but not another. This is FACT, If you need proof I have it. Fight bullying online and everywhere
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Braden Campbell wrote:This is addressed in the book's introductory argument where I lay down the following, provable, premise: that everyone in the Three Galaxies believes in magic, but differs in how they justify that belief. For example, to highly technological and scientific societies, "magic" is simply a childish name for the cosmological constant; the unobservable, all-pervasive energy that binds the universe together. They know it exists, but are unable to harness it (unlike other intrinsic forces like light or gravity).

i love the idea that PPE = zero point energy aka vacuum energy aka the cosmological constant aka dark energy...
great example of how 'magic' is just a term for any insufficently understood science.. :)

it also opens up the options for "magictech", or technoloy using PPE instead of electricity. why couldn't you build a computer for example, that uses varying currents of PPE to calculate instead of currents of electrons? :wink:
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
mike19k
D-Bee

Unread post by mike19k »

Is there any update on this?
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

What I would dearly love is better information on things like Magic Armors and Enchanted Robes that are mentioned in DB6 Three Galaxies page 84.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Braden Campbell

Fleets of the Three Galaxies has "guidlines" for making up your own ships.

I say guidlines, because hard and fast rules both suck, andwere totally incompatable with the Phase World setting.
Braden, GMPhD

KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

anapuna wrote:
zedjagder wrote:I want to see some rules for constructing starships, everything from fighters all the way up to the largest ships in the three galaxies.

YES, YES, YES. HOW COME IT HAS NOT BEEN DONE? IT IS FRICKIN PALLADIUM 101 TO HAVE ONE OF THESE. IT WAS DONE FOR THE RARELY USED ALIENS UNLIMITED NEAR 10 YEARS AGO. HUH??? !!!!!!!!

viewtopic.php?p=2470000#p2470000

Check "sagajr"'s post on the 17th of January.

Adios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
ScottBernard
Explorer

Unread post by ScottBernard »

So where are we at now, because Kevin just announced another Dead Reign book as next.
Braden Campbell

I'm not sure, to be honest.

I haven't heard that this project has been picked up by, or passed to, another writer. currently however, I am working for Games Workshop's Black Library division, and not only do they pay in me pound sterling, but have also offered to let me write a novel for them begining this very Spring.

I hope you can see why that's taken priority so far.
Braden, GMPhD

--Remi Diel--
D-Bee

Unread post by --Remi Diel-- »

So, I take it this project is now completely dead?
19+ years and still posting.

"Never attribute to malice what can be adaquately explained by stupidity." - Robert Hanlon
MADMANMIKE
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

darkbane79 wrote:Lol its already december... so i just we are hoping for a 2013 release? *Fingers Crosses*

As Braden posted two above you (back in March), he's working for another company and nobody has picked this project up...
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”