applying % penalties to opening Dimensional Portals?

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

applying % penalties to opening Dimensional Portals?

Unread post by Axelmania »

DB7 (Megaverse Builder) pg 9
    a net of -10% on a Dimensional Teleport roll for either a Shifter or creatures who have the ability naturally
    Shifters and those who would roll a percentile dice to Dimensional Teleport enjoy a +5% to +20% bonus on their Dimensional Teleport rolls
    Shifters and other dimensional travelers are at -5% to -30% on their Dimensional Teleport rolls

Pg 41 has a % chance for Communication Rift (which doesn't involve teleporting at all), but there doesn't seem to be anywhere to apply this penalty for the stuff they would normally use, such as Dimensional Portal, Re-Open Gateway, or Dimensional Teleport Home.

What would you do in this case? Treat them as having a base 100% chance and then apply penalties and possible bonuses on top?

DB11 (Dyval) pg 97
    -80% with having NEVER visited that level.
    Half those penalties when traveling from Dyval Prime to another level of Dyval via opening a dimensional Rift.

Same issue here, opening rifts doesn't tend to involve a % chance.

This was published after RUE but RUE didn't change much from DB7 as far as I know (aside from giving more PPE and tweaking their supernatural link options) as RUE 122 didn't any kind of skill roll anywhere.

I thought about perhaps requiring a Dimension Sense roll, but the problem about relying on an OCC ability is that would create problems with other mages lacking the ability (like Ley Line Walkers) having a skill roll to penalize.

RUE 225 doesn't give %s for dimensional teleport, so if we wanted some, all I can think to do is as a house rule is possibly to borrow them from the spell adjacent to it: Teleport Superior.

The only difference being that the 2% chance of death on a lack of success (porting into an object) shouldn't apply since it's the RIFT porting into the object. Instead you basically have a portal into a wall you can't do anything about (except perhaps destroy the object to make a path).

RUE 222 "Re-Open Gateway" probably shouldn't suffer that though, since the gateway's destination was already established.

This sort of house rule seems like it would make a lot of sense to do for Dimensional Teleports too. The first roll being to see if you teleport AT ALL, the 2nd to see if you actually make it to a desired spot within the new dimension.

I think the % chance of teleporting into objects ought to be variable based on size though. A dragon morphed into a 2ft long cat should probably have a lower chance of teleporting into objects than a dragon who is 50ft long.

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”