Boom Gun in Space

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

dragonfett
Knight

Boom Gun in Space

Unread post by dragonfett »

I just thought of a question and I was wondering, would the round from Boom Gun still deliver the same amount of damage to targets (or, more precisely, anything that they hit) beyond its range?
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Boom Gun in Space

Unread post by 13eowulf »

dragonfett wrote:I just thought of a question and I was wondering, would the round from Boom Gun still deliver the same amount of damage to targets (or, more precisely, anything that they hit) beyond its range?

Doesnt Mutants in Orbit have space boom guns? Would that not answer this?
(I dont have the book in my office).
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Jorick
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Jorick »

13eowulf wrote:
dragonfett wrote:I just thought of a question and I was wondering, would the round from Boom Gun still deliver the same amount of damage to targets (or, more precisely, anything that they hit) beyond its range?

Doesnt Mutants in Orbit have space boom guns? Would that not answer this?
(I dont have the book in my office).

I think he's wondering if the round (or whatever) would simply maintain its velocity in a vacuum forever. The real life answer I think is "yes, it would." Thus if it hit something far beyond its listed range, and no other force acted upon it after being fired, it would do the same damage.

I think "effective range" would probably be about the same (for game purposes at least) because targets move, etc. and the greater the distance, the smaller the chance of the target still being where it was when the gun was fired.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Officially by the Rules, no.

While others are correct about the velocity, the boom gun does not fire a single projectile but rather 200 (plus the casing) that does the listed damage. Those sub-projectiles will disperse over time resulting in reduced damage. The result is that if you fire at something beyond effective range, the longer between firing and impact the less damage it will do (though if the target is big enough...).
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

In space, no-one can hear you BOOM.

(Yes, I said it. We all were thinking it. Never tempt a skutch. Here Endeth the Lesson.)
Last edited by BookWyrm on Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

ShadowLogan wrote:

While others are correct about the velocity, the boom gun does not fire a single projectile but rather 200 (plus the casing) that does the listed damage. Those sub-projectiles will disperse over time resulting in reduced damage. The result is that if you fire at something beyond effective range, the longer between firing and impact the less damage it will do (though if the target is big enough...).

Ok, here's a different question for you. Just how far would it have to travel before it's dispersed too far out to be effective?
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

honestly given its range, most of us have been assuming it is a selective fused munition rather than a literal shotgun.. that the 200 rods are contained in a shell that gets fuzed right before firing (using range data from that laser targeter above the barrel) so that the shell bursts a few instants before it hits the target, so that the target gets the maximum impact from the hit.

similar to the airburst ammunition in the XM25 CDTE.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjqu4hBFWFA
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Since Boomguns run off of SCIENCE! and not science the answer is RAW they can be fired at normal range at normal rolls, at 30% farther than normal range at a strike penalty, and no farther... because reasons. If this answer doesn't satisfy you, then you of course can change it to suit you how ever you wish to make things work out 'right' for your particular game.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

dragonfett wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:

Ok, here's a different question for you. Just how far would it have to travel before it's dispersed too far out to be effective?

off hand I don't know. Several minutes at minimum I would suspect.
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

dragonfett wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:

Depends.... Granted, in vacuum, the rods will disperse. BUT, they keep going so there they travel, and some poor bastard runs in to them sometime... eek!
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

without air to create turbulence though, they'll disperse slower.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
jingizu999
D-Bee

Unread post by jingizu999 »

Can you imagine if Rifts followed real world physics? I can see the newsflash now.

Headline Laika Station.
Station officials announced the loss of 243 workers today when habitation section 4 was destroyed by railgun fire.
Given the time of impact and the trajectory, investigators have determined the round was fired 94 years ago in a battle between the CAN Republic and Outcast station.
All workloads will be increased to make up for the loss of personnel.
Laika station. Remember comrades. Trust your leaders. Trust Laika. Trust no one else.

As for the Boom Gun itself, it never made much sense to me. It’s an example of an author who, through no real fault of his own, got hooked on an idea, didn’t really understand how armor penetration worked, and wrote at a time where fact checking was much more difficult. Flechette rounds are only useful for anti-personnel or area denial work, not anti-armor. A single projectile of a given mass will always have superior anti-armor capabilities compared to a swarm of lighter projectiles totaling the same mass. Of course that’s assuming the same materials, the same velocity, etc. In the real world the only place I can think of flechettes being used are applications where the concern isn’t the amount of damage done or armor penetrated, but if you can hit the target at all. Anti-personnel, anti-aircraft, and, theoretically at least, anti-spacecraft. And all those applications sacrifice hitting power for a spread area of effect.

But hey, it’s Rifts. Have fun, go Boom!
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Is there anything in the rules prohibiting the interpretation that the penalty is per 30% (accumulative) and not one-time 130% cap on range?
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Axelmania wrote:Is there anything in the rules prohibiting the interpretation that the penalty is per 30% (accumulative) and not one-time 130% cap on range?

"One may attempt a shot that is as much as 30% farther than the Maximum Effective Range of any given weapon, but..."
Since it says "as much as" that is a fixed quantity.
To be stackable it would be "for each 30% beyond" or some other such wording.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Axelmania
Knight

Isn't that -4 per 20ft or whatever repeating rate still in the GM guide though? I'd apply that after the 30%, unless RUE explicitly ruled it out.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Axelmania wrote:Isn't that -4 per 20ft or whatever repeating rate still in the GM guide though? I'd apply that after the 30%, unless RUE explicitly ruled it out.

Since RUE rewrote the entire section it was edplicitly ruled out yes.
That is what "this is now the rules on how you strike" means.
When there are no conflicting rules then old material might be relevant... but when the entire section in question was totally rewritten then yes, it was, wait for it, rewritten.

This is why we know that the new rules are the current ones and the old rules are not.
No one in the publishing industry for example goes through and writes a list saying "okay, we are revoking all these rules" first. They just say "new edition, here are the new rules"
Which is how it works.

Thus we do not have to have the book say "we are revoking the rule that says you only need a 5 to hit a stationary target at 60' 12 or higher if a called shot"
because, the new "ranged combat rules" tell us *all* the rules that apply to ranged combat... including that you always need an 8 to hit and that called shots are not a 12.

This is also why you can't use the old dodge rules in addition to the new ones and just shop around for the best rule.
Well, I mean you *can* if your GM is wanting to house rule it.

EDIT: hilariously if a person wants to use that rule, they will need an absurdly high strike bonus to make it worthwhile...since they both go off of the weapons maximum effective range you would get +100' for -4. So unless the weapon has a normal range of less than 300' it isn't really worth it.
For a boom gun to get past the 30% (14,300') range you would be rolling at -133 (14,325' :lol: ) or more! Thus you would need a +114 strike bonus to be allowed to even make the roll! (unless your GM allows you to roll on things that have no possible way of occuring on the theory that 5% of the time you can perform the impossible)

Axelmania
Knight

Rewrote or... supplemented? "Now only" or "Now also"?

you would need a +114 strike bonus to be allowed to even make the roll! (unless your GM allows you to roll on things that have no possible way of occuring on the theory that 5% of the time you can perform the impossible)

This is why we have One Life One Shot One Hit One Kill.

Give a sniper a couple years and you can shoot things pretty far.
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

In space, nobody can hear you BOOM!
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

Vrykolas2k wrote:In space, nobody can hear you BOOM!

Look up-thread, I beat you too it.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Unread post by Drakenred®™© »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hLpgxry542M

Nuf said.

Well ok not nuff,

That said I’ve long treated the boom gun as having three different loads available, a standard solid slug and a shotgun type loading, and a longer range canister proximity/programmable fused variant which was the original standard load, with the solid slugs and the pure canister load being what what was held in the secondary drums.

I actually have several loads I need to find back, I will post that later in the gm section.
冠双
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Drakenred®™© wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hLpgxry542M

Nuf said.

I love Mass Effect.

I will say that this is what is missing from Rifts in general is the single projectile rail or coil guns like we see in games like Halo.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Unread post by Drakenred®™© »

Thats how I treat the boom gun, it was designed as a Anti tank weapon, the standard round was a single unit slug, but the 200 pin shot round is a semi smart round that is designed to separate in flight for anything not a tank, and what ended up being the standard for it
冠双
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

BookWyrm wrote:In space, no-one can hear you BOOM.

No, but they can see you dealing with exciting new recoil problems :)
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Rallan wrote:
BookWyrm wrote:In space, no-one can hear you BOOM.

No, but they can see you dealing with exciting new recoil problems :)

Not for long.

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”