Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

KLM
Knight

Re: cosmo knights what can fight them and win

Unread post by KLM »

Hi there!

csbioborg wrote:he does not wear the armor all the time

Actually, some of them never remove their armor as per DMB2. On the other hand, others
might keep it as a secret persona (not unlike "traditional" superheroes - see also DMB2 in
the opening "writeup").

The latter makes sense - they have to do some investigation, which is a bit hindered, if
the "I am the avanger of the Cosmic Forge" screams from your appearance.

Adios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Hi there!

KLM wrote:I do not see it as a great problem: any planetary goverment (or major corporation, private army, etc) can
muster enough power to intercept and kill a CK - or at least make him/her to run for his/her life.

Just a few words added: it is not a real challenge for a GM to kill any PC or even party. Heck, its
like playing chess, where the GM can cover two-thirds of the table from the other player(s), has
several sets of figures and can move them multiple times while the opponent makes a single move.

Adios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Rhomphaia wrote:Mystic Knights have a real good chance. Effective energy immunity will force a CK to close range, so two of the major CK advantages (flight and energy blasts) are negated with one stone.

Plus, keep in mind that the MKs have a tendency to wield swords. Magic swords. Magic swords with all sorts of nasty little effects like life draining.

You joking?
a) what prevents the CK from packing a gravity rifle that would obviate the need to melee.

b) a mystic knight's specialty is energy attacks that will take forever to batter down the knight's armor

c) I sure hope that the mystic guy packs magic net or something like that, because in melee, he's gonna get clobbered even if he packs a phase sword... because, you know, it's not like everybody had the cred to just go by a life drain sword at the nearest sploog market.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Svartalf
Champion

Actually, I disagree with you on that. The whole schtick of the MK is its affinity with mundane energy, as shown by its ability to recharge all kinds of devices.
Its blasts are just mundane energy blasts identical to those of an ordinary weapon, not spells or TW device. an ordinary plasma rifle charged up by a MK doesn't fire magical bolts, neither does the knight when he just fires away, unless he actually casts a spell.

And while any MK will have "a" magic sword, the kind you mention tends to be quite rare and price in the millions... not something I'd give a generic char... or did you actually mean that the kind of MK suitable to take down a CK would be a megapowerful, level boss type high level character with the kind of equipment that PCs will hunt over a campaign length series of adventures?
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Rhomphaia wrote:Mystic Knights have a real good chance. Effective energy immunity will force a CK to close range, so two of the major CK advantages (flight and energy blasts) are negated with one stone.

Plus, keep in mind that the MKs have a tendency to wield swords. Magic swords. Magic swords with all sorts of nasty little effects like life draining.

IIRC, the energy blasts from a CK are cosmic energy, which effect the MK the same as magic enery does.
Svartalf
Champion

Know what romphy? when an old campaigner like Beast speaks, I listen, if only because he's maybe a little more uptodate than I am
I've been with Rifts since the start (though not much in recent years), and when people with definite experience speak, maybe they have a load of reasons to have formed the opinion they have.
I hope Beast will have convincing arguements, and I'll check DB2 and MagicZone to make sure, but on the face of it, I trust his judgment more than yours.
The Beast

Rhomphaia wrote:
The Beast wrote:

IIRC, the energy blasts from a CK are cosmic energy, which effect the MK the same as magic enery does.

Where is this stated in the rules? In the books I have, there is nothing linking cosmic energy with magic energy. I was forced in a game to come up with a judgment call on this and I still stick to my decision that it is a form of radiation/light and therefore subject to damage reduction that affects both, but if that damage reduction affects only one, then it works normally.

Quote me the book and page number where cosmic energy works like magic energy and when I look it up, I will reverse my decision. As it stands without a quotation, your statement is an opinion.

Sorry, I mixed up a couple different bullets about Dominator weapons from DB13. Those weapons would work on MKs.
The Beast

Rhomphaia wrote:Not being snide in this, but is there a place where it does give a definitive definition of cosmic energy in the same way we know "magic" and "normal" energy? I am curious now because cosmic energy seems to be an anomaly. Even phase weapons are given more treatment, to my knowledge.

In DB13 it goes a little more into what cosmic energy is, but not as much as I'd like it to.
Svartalf
Champion

this, of course, implies a really open field since the CK will need lots of space to conduct the combat while moving that fast
Svartalf
Champion

Yeah, but I don't think a non fallen CK would willingly cause that much collateral damage unless he had no other option and absolutely needed to stop the threat like there and then.

and even if they can withstand tremendous G forces (they can fly in space and go FTL can't they?), I'm not sure their reaction time is SO speeded up they could avoid hitting stuff and manoeuver with any precision while maintaining that kind of speed.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Rhomphaia wrote:A Mystic Knight's energy blasts use PPE, therefore I judge that they are magical in nature.
This is good logic on your part....but, unfortunately, it does not have precedent to match in the various Rifts games.

Typically, magical effects that generate "mundane" energies aren't necessarily magic in nature unless they are explicitly stated.
For example, many Fire Spells don't automatically generate magical fire just because they expend PPE; you can partially hurt an unstaked Vampire with the spell 'Fire Ball' (vampires are still partially vulnerable to magical attacks), but that same vampire won't be affected at all by a fire created by a 'Fire Blossom' spell, or an existing flame stoked by the spell 'Fuel Flame.'

Likewise, using the spell 'Create Steel' isn't going to give you a weapon that can hurt even otherwise magically-invulnerable creatures just because it uses P.P.E (unlike an ordinary steel weapon that is then enchanted).

I would say, Rhompaia, that until such time as any one of us can find something to the contrary, that we assume that a Mystic Knight's energy blasts -powered by the expenditure of PPE -are nevertheless just another example of Mystic Energies Bringing Forth Physical Forces, and are therefore not infused with any extra mystical component whatsoever.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Unread post by csbioborg »

gotta go with dedicated martial artist
or oni ninja
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Max™ wrote:So, what other options sound good for Fallen Knights besides Mind Melter/Ley Line Walker or the witch/priests?

Shifter and Temporal classes are also choices that come "naturally".

Adios
KLM
- Terry Prachett

calto40k
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Jack Chriax: RPA Pilot, Killing Machine, Samuel Jackson Impersonator?

Unread post by calto40k »

I think i figured out the ultimate Cosmo Knight Killer...... any member of the band manowar
Member of the Modern Cabal of 24

The stupid it burns it burns us preciouses

We are Legion and we will be heard
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Angado wrote:One coalition ranger plus demolition skill.

One case of micro fusion grenades.

One cosmo knight

One sign with writing in a variety of languages "Only the virtuous may possess the strength of the forge which lies within"

One remote detonator, one pair of binoculars...

Just a thought :twisted:

One really stupid Cosmo-Knight to fall for the trap...
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
batlchip
Hero
Comment: Even the great thinkers and writers in history messed up sometimes.

Unread post by batlchip »

LEt's see if this works.A Machine Person in Battleram Attack Robot with a N-50 superhvy force field,4 Warlord Mark IIs with P-fields and TW weapons.
Who is evil?
Who is joy
Who is pain
Who is death
Who is good
Who is blind
Who is foolish
Who is smart
Me and you that's who
For we are mankind.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

what... really, seriously?
This debate is STILL going on?
here's a REAL good question...WHY would you want to fight a cosmo-kannigit?
If you are the GM; you say "hammer beats knight...end of line. Roll up a new PC."
If you are a player...Why are you trying to kill a cosmo knight? (unless you're playing a diabloic PC, in which case, well... GOOD LUCK!)
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

DhAkael wrote:what... really, seriously?
This debate is STILL going on?
here's a REAL good question...WHY would you want to fight a cosmo-kannigit?
If you are the GM; you say "hammer beats knight...end of line. Roll up a new PC."
If you are a player...Why are you trying to kill a cosmo knight? (unless you're playing a diabloic PC, in which case, well... GOOD LUCK!)

These kind of debates always come up (on a super-hero RPG site I enjoy someone's always wanting to create or bump up the 'Who could beat Superman?' threads), anything tough around and people think is 'unbeatable' prompts the 'who could beat X' thread to come about.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

steve652 wrote:I read and reread the cosmo knight occ...and I keep racking my brain as to what could fight them in atmosphere so far I got ancient dragons(maybe) greater demons (again maybe) power armor(not really) what if any scenario could one actually lose?

1) - Any scenario in where they have to fight a magic user . The CK can easily get killed / camptured .

2) - Greater Demons can beat them ..

3) - Ancient Dragon's can beat them ..

4) - Mega-Villains from the Hero's setting .. can beat them ..

5) - Demon Knights can beat them ..

6) - Royal Kreeghor can beat them ..

7) - Promethean's can beat them ..

8) - Fallen Knights can beat them ..

9) - Splugorthian conservator's can beat them ..

10) - And emotions can beat them ..

These are just off the top of my head random idea's that could beat a cosmo-knight.
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

Provided the Cosmo Knight doesn't simply fly away, a Jeridu Gun-Master of at least level 2 with a Phase Field would make short work of a Cosmo Knight.
The P-field would reduce the Knight's damage to an only slightly above insignificant value, the Gun Master has superior range with his Chi Sniper Rifles rendering the advantage of flight obsolete and the combination of the Jeridu's multiple arms and the Gun Master's skill of WP Paired: Gun, means that he will be inflicting an average of 420 MD per melee action.
The Knight's only chance would be if he sacrificed his MDC and PPE to beef up a forcefield to epic proportions but even then I think he would be out-gunned.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

I will go so far as to say any character that does not rely upon energy based ranged attacks .. can take out a CK.

Heck a Maxi-Man from atlantis .. could as well as a Bio-Borg from Atlantis .. could easily take out a CK ..
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

A Nightlord rifted in from Nightbane?
My dragon juicer died because of magical sock puppets. - ash_wednesday

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Specter wrote:A Nightlord rifted in from Nightbane?

Nightlords have basically nothing BUT energy powers.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Giant2005
Knight

Nekira Sudacne wrote:

Yes but they have great control over it. They can choose what form of energy they blast, CKs are vulnerable to Kinetic Energy.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Giant2005 wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

Yes but they have great control over it. They can choose what form of energy they blast, CKs are vulnerable to Kinetic Energy.

Sorry, Kenetic energy blast is the one kind they can't arbitrarily pick.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Giant2005
Knight

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Giant2005 wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

Sorry, Kenetic energy blast is the one kind they can't arbitrarily pick.

Wow you are absolutely right.
I remember an instance in my pre-teen days when I was an absolute munchkin, I was actually playing a Nightlord. Somehow I managed to get into a confrontation with Heracles without actually knowing it was him, in traditional munchkin fashion I chose to blast him with my entire PPE base. Heracles being resistant to non-kinetic energy made my choice in energy damage the difference between his survival and his death. Being quite young I didn't even know energy came in different types so my GM listed different energy types for me - the first one he said was kinetic, completely uncaring I chose that as my energy type simply because that was the first he listed.

Turns out I wasn't just a munchkin, I was also a cheat :D.
Chronicle
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Your Local Lurker. THAT'S the Reality.....

Email: Chronos47@gmail.com

Unread post by Chronicle »

Keep in mind also that a CK still takes damage form kinetic attacks. That said Rail guns, GR rail guns and such would hurt them.

A Cyberknight could take them on in the right circumstances (especially if Demi-god race) Though the level would have to be mid to high for him to take a low level CK.

Raksahsa would have an easy time with him (Also providing you use their stats form teh 1st release conversion book)

Maggot's have a petrification beam which would make it very inconvenient.

Basalisk might have an advantage.

Fenrir wolf would use him as a chew toy

Cerberus too for that matter

Dragon Juicers

Bio-borg

cyberai

Monster hunter

Undead Slayer (higher level might be required)

Dragons, dragons and more dragons

UWW Marine

A Mind Melter would have fun
Your local Lurker and Temporal Wizard Extrodinaire,

Chronicle

Cosmic Forge or bust.

Love me some Phood

Where is the wood in Wormwood.

"How Are you a Super Power" -Sterling Archer
Chronicle
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Your Local Lurker. THAT'S the Reality.....

Email: Chronos47@gmail.com

Unread post by Chronicle »

Carl Gleba wrote:
Lord Z wrote:I'll limit my answer to something that a CK is likely to actually encounter.

Any City Rat who gets his hands on a rune weapon with the Soul Drinker ability can kill a CK in a single hit and a failed saving throw. Just casually walk up to an unsuspecting CK and stab her. Even one point of damage makes the target suspectable to the soul drinking. Since Splugorth create rune weapons, I suspect that many a CK have been targeted in this way. You only have to fight the CK if he makes his first saving throw.

Using the new options in Rifter #53, Soul Drinker weapons aren't that uncommon anymore. Even Least Rune Swords can have this ability.

Quick note, guys -- Rifter #0.1 is still accepting articles if I can get the accompanying U.M.F. this month. We have a couple of Rifts Earth articles lined up, but we don't have anything representing the Three Galaxies nor other dimension books yet.

Said city rat still needs to draw blood in order for a soul drinker to take a soul. Of course it all depends on the GM on what value the CK M.D.C. is hit points and how much it takes to get to those M.D. hit points.

The evil letter opener of doom. Paper cuts and sillines galor

The CK would have to be without armor of cours, but a 4d6-6d6 md hit would be all it takes at average MDC rating, depending on the spot attacked, it could be even easier if a called strike is made for like a hand or a foot. (penalties included of course)
Your local Lurker and Temporal Wizard Extrodinaire,

Chronicle

Cosmic Forge or bust.

Love me some Phood

Where is the wood in Wormwood.

"How Are you a Super Power" -Sterling Archer
Witchcraft
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Witchcraft »

I'm thinking that a wolfen Quatoria wouldn't have much of a problem fighting a cosmo-knight -- not that he would. But there are some definite possibilities for an exciting match there.
There is no spoon.
Secondhand Smoke
Explorer
Comment: Dear life, when i said "can my life get any worse" it was a rhetorical question not a challenge

Unread post by Secondhand Smoke »

Psi Ghost Invincible Guardmen, might have to be leveled up abit but with a ridiculously high PP and metal skin with phasing thrown in, yeah should do the trick
Insert philosophical quote here
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Is it really a problem?

For my part, as a GM it is HARD to devise a fleet, a corporate security force, etc. which would NOT kill a CK if the player acts a bit stupid...
- Terry Prachett

Giant2005
Knight

A Reactionary from Rifter 50 (official material) would easily wipe the floor with a Cosmo Knight.
That is unless the Cosmo Knight was smart enough to realize he wasn't going to win and fled. There isn't really anything a Reactionary could do to stop him from leaving...
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

actually any class can given the right amount of resources and planning.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

my npc cosmoknight was defeated pretty easily by a neohuman pc stunned him and then her and her super sidekick just beat him to death. So i will have to go with psionics for the win. Nothing like spending weeks on a npc to get one encounter vs the players out of them. Ugh.
Looonatic
Adventurer

Unread post by Looonatic »

All you need is a Ludicrous Mage to drop an anvil on his head.
--The more powerful you are, the less tacos you get.--
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

DBX wrote:Sea Inquisitor

What would an Inquisitor be able to do to a Cosmo-Knight? Their "destroy the Supernatural" ability only works against EVIL supernatural beings, and Cosmo-Knights are by necessity good ones, since they automatically drop if they change to an alignment other than Principled or Scrupulous.

Magic/Psi aren't major components of a Cosmo-Knight arsenal so that negation isn't very effective. The Sea Inquisitor's force field would let them survive a CK barrage for a while, but even a 15th level Inquisitor against a 1st level Knight is eventually going to get whittled down, the CK's regeneration and flight speed allows him to guerilla any opponent down, I don't even think if you gave the Inquisitor a pair of Battle Fury Blades that it'd let them win.

Svartalf wrote:

You joking?
a) what prevents the CK from packing a gravity rifle that would obviate the need to melee.

b) a mystic knight's specialty is energy attacks that will take forever to batter down the knight's armor

c) I sure hope that the mystic guy packs magic net or something like that, because in melee, he's gonna get clobbered even if he packs a phase sword... because, you know, it's not like everybody had the cred to just go by a life drain sword at the nearest sploog market.

A CosmoK is hardly going to need a grav gun to overcome a mystic knight. Any worth their salt will have a cosmic weapon (or just create one on the spot, unless there's some non-instant minimum creation time I'm unaware of) which they can throw from long-range (still does decent damage even if SNPS isn't added like in HtH use) to whittle them down.

Plus a Mystic Knight's armor doesn't get their energy immunity, so the energy blasts could be used to remove all of that first before closing in to 1-hit the guy, unless he's MDC flesh.

I don't think a mystic knight would use their energy attacks to hurt a cosmo-knight, they'd obviously switch to non-energy spells (like say, throwing stone, or power weapon) once they caught on to it not being effective.

Rhomphaia wrote:
Svartalf wrote:Actually, I disagree with you on that. The whole schtick of the MK is its affinity with mundane energy, as shown by its ability to recharge all kinds of devices.
Its blasts are just mundane energy blasts identical to those of an ordinary weapon, not spells or TW device. an ordinary plasma rifle charged up by a MK doesn't fire magical bolts, neither does the knight when he just fires away, unless he actually casts a spell.

That is your opinion and that is fine, as long as you acknowledge the fact that it is your opinion, like I did.

Being powered by PPE doesn't make something magical, something isn't magical unless we are explicitly told it is, or some data indicates it.

If their bolts were energy just for being made from PPE, then batteries recharged by PPE would radiate magic and e-clips recharged by it would count as magical attacks and hurt vampires and stuff.

Rhomphaia wrote:
The Beast wrote:IIRC, the energy blasts from a CK are cosmic energy, which effect the MK the same as magic enery does.

Where is this stated in the rules? In the books I have, there is nothing linking cosmic energy with magic energy

I do remember hearing this rumor, I don't remember if it got confirmed, might've been based on some FAQ online or in Rifter. Am also interested in this.

Also interested if cosmic weapons would qualify as magic weapons.

the blast/weapon clarification is important to know who they can harm
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Svartalf
Champion

Magic energy will still hurt them.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Short of an ambush with an Annihilation sphere (or a level 10 000 Call Lightning cast by Nxla), the only magic energy high enough tier to do notable damage to them would be UWW ships.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Tor wrote:Short of an ambush with an Annihilation sphere (or a level 10 000 Call Lightning cast by Nxla), the only magic energy high enough tier to do notable damage to them would be UWW ships.

The write up for the cosmo-knight says that they take normal damage from magic spells. It even helpfully points out that they are totally impervious to fire, EXCEPT magic fire. Which would suggest that magic damage is NOT reduced by 100 (otherwise its not a vulnerability). So any spell is a good one to use on them. (I would recommend debuffs rather than direct damage, but that's just me.)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Svartalf
Champion

eliakon wrote:
Tor wrote:Short of an ambush with an Annihilation sphere (or a level 10 000 Call Lightning cast by Nxla), the only magic energy high enough tier to do notable damage to them would be UWW ships.

The write up for the cosmo-knight says that they take normal damage from magic spells. It even helpfully points out that they are totally impervious to fire, EXCEPT magic fire. Which would suggest that magic damage is NOT reduced by 100 (otherwise its not a vulnerability). So any spell is a good one to use on them. (I would recommend debuffs rather than direct damage, but that's just me.)

My meaning, precisely, Magic is the exception to the "energy does 1/100 dmg" rule ... and that's in the book, not just my house rule.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

eliakon wrote:The write up for the cosmo-knight says that they take normal damage from magic spells. It even helpfully points out that they are totally impervious to fire, EXCEPT magic fire. Which would suggest that magic damage is NOT reduced by 100 (otherwise its not a vulnerability). So any spell is a good one to use on them. (I would recommend debuffs rather than direct damage, but that's just me.)

I'm not implying that magic damage would get reduced.

I'm just pointing out that when you have sonic flight and minute-MDC-regen and 500 MDC, it's going to take a very heavy hit to take the guy out before he can flee and come back 100% in a couple minutes to take your next barrage. Or just pot-shot from high-altitude using the ridiculous range of his cosmic blasts or weapon throws.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Tor wrote:
eliakon wrote:The write up for the cosmo-knight says that they take normal damage from magic spells. It even helpfully points out that they are totally impervious to fire, EXCEPT magic fire. Which would suggest that magic damage is NOT reduced by 100 (otherwise its not a vulnerability). So any spell is a good one to use on them. (I would recommend debuffs rather than direct damage, but that's just me.)

I'm not implying that magic damage would get reduced.

I'm just pointing out that when you have sonic flight and minute-MDC-regen and 500 MDC, it's going to take a very heavy hit to take the guy out before he can flee and come back 100% in a couple minutes to take your next barrage. Or just pot-shot from high-altitude using the ridiculous range of his cosmic blasts or weapon throws.

The implication of stating that you need to do hundreds of points in a single hit to do 'notable' damage did seem to suggest that you were implying that it was reduced. I am sorry if that wasn't your intent, but I didn't figure that any attack that doesn't kill them out right is pointless..... And as pointed out before the whole idea of fighting a cosmo knight is to do something to prevent that whole flee/regenerate thing in the first place.....
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

If you could immobilize them and then reign down damage, sure. Short of ambushing with a carpet of adhesion while they happen to be walking (something they'd probably only do in civilian disguise) I don't know how to accomplish that, would a magic net even prevent them from flying off?

I guess if you could seal them inside a room it could work.

Most mages just don't seem like they could out-gun a knight. Even a 10th level mage against a 1st level knight barely breaks even.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Tor wrote:If you could immobilize them and then reign down damage, sure. Short of ambushing with a carpet of adhesion while they happen to be walking (something they'd probably only do in civilian disguise) I don't know how to accomplish that, would a magic net even prevent them from flying off?

I guess if you could seal them inside a room it could work.

Most mages just don't seem like they could out-gun a knight. Even a 10th level mage against a 1st level knight barely breaks even.

Use a spell that stuns them. Use spells that reduce your APM. Use slowing spells. Use spells that don't regenerate. There are lots of options besides some sort of contest of videogame style 'Nuke them with Direct Damage faster than they Heal' stuff.

Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Befuddle is one of the nastiest spells in all of PB.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Tor wrote:
Rhomphaia wrote:
The Beast wrote:IIRC, the energy blasts from a CK are cosmic energy, which effect the MK the same as magic enery does.

Where is this stated in the rules? In the books I have, there is nothing linking cosmic energy with magic energy

I do remember hearing this rumor, I don't remember if it got confirmed, might've been based on some FAQ online or in Rifter. Am also interested in this.

Also interested if cosmic weapons would qualify as magic weapons.

the blast/weapon clarification is important to know who they can harm

It's actually a misinterpreation on the dominator weapon rules from Fleets of the three galaxies, which states several interesting and previously unruled facts.

1: Dominators are deific beings, and all of their technology and weapons are magic in nature, producing full damage to all supernatural beings vunerable only to it, except vampires who take half damage. Not techno wizardy, but devine technology.

2. Dominators are the only race to have mastered Cosmic Energy Blasts through technology alone, and in doing so discovered and used properties therein. It is also stated that the cosmic energy blasts produced by dominator technology are completely identical to those produced by Cosmo knights with all the same properties, so we know the following attributes are true for Cosmo knights cosmic energy blasts.

1: it shares the supernatural attributes of sunlight, dispite not being sunlight, and thus inflicts full damage to vampires and can slay them permanently, although they would only inflict half damage to vampires.
2: it effects magical constructs normally impervious to anything not magical in nature. do note, it's only magical constructs, not supernatural beings.
3: it has no radioactive signature and no aftereffects or resdiue of any kind, meaning there is never any trace of the beam after it's been used.

However, this does not actually mean that cosmic energy blasts effect supernatural beings vunerable only to magic, and in fact explicitly says otherwise. the dominator weapons ability to damage such beings is explictly listed as being solely because their technology is Devine and thus magic in nature. seperate from the properties of cosmic energy blasts. However, cosmic energy blasts DO replicate sunlight as an innate facet of their nature, and so they CAN destroy vampires completely and damage any other being vunerable to sunlight.

Also, with the introduction of the concept of Devine Technology as a thing that exists, suddenly Armatsu's gifting of technology to the Oni makes a lot more sense, to reference your other thread.

Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Not liking Cosmo-Blasts being able to take out vamps, I'd rather an in-your-face cosmic-stake approach.
Looonatic
Adventurer

Tor wrote:Not liking Cosmo-Blasts being able to take out vamps, I'd rather an in-your-face cosmic-stake approach.

Then don't allow it. If you're the GM, it's your game.
Looonatic
Adventurer

Shang Li wrote:1% of a few of the big "planet buster" size beams (the Xd6x1k and up ones) are still going to wear a cosmo knight down. Even the "big" guns on cruisers can eventually do the job (kinda like a basic laser pistol vs a dragon, but possible with enough volume).

There's a reason CK's don't go getting in fist fights with warships & naval fleets (I do however consider CK vs fighter to be "dog" fighting - especially if one or the other is wolfen) and that reason isn't often concern about colateral damage.

Even if only the biggest, meanest energy blasters will damage a cosmo night, they can still do the job. Anyone think the TGE would hesitate for a moment to vaporise some Invinceable Guardsmen (and around 1/2 the moon under him) by focusing EVERY particle beam in the fleet on the building the CK just walked into? (not to mention the GR-guns & missiles, no kill like over kill)

In a 1 on 1, her'es my top 3 contenders

1. a veritech fighter - even if the surprise of having a fighter transform to fist fight him doesn't slow the CK down, the veritech can compete with a CK both in the air, and on the ground.

Result: CK wins (more MDC & lack of ammo issues) after an epic battle where the Veritech's versatility enable it to fight the CK on the ground and in the air (breifly).

2. a phase ghost fighter - there's just so much here in the phase ghost's favor it's not even funny, phase weapons, phase teleport, phase fields, the list goes on.

Result: Fighter wins after a long, drawn out fight, using a combination of teleportation and it's phase beamer to overcome the CK's ennergy resistance & superior MDC

3. A promethian "Second stager" - really one of these guys against a CK is possibly a CK's worst nightmare. The second stage Promethian has the MDC to engage in a prolonged fight, and the phase powers/spells & ppe supply to mop the fight up pretty quick.

Result: Promethian uses phase powers to force the Cosmo Knight into causing "unacceptable" levels of collateral damage (phasing through a wall makes a decent sheild) while slowly wearing down the CK with phase blasts.

And as a truely extreme example........

4. Big Frackin Rock. Moon, orbital station, asteroid, comet, whatever..... You have a projectile with enough mass & velocity to create an Extinction Level Event, if not crack the planet - now you just have to manage to actually hit the CK, a near miss is going to be mostly energy damage rather than kinetic.

Result: Due to a miscalculation made the month before the fight, the de-orbited colony station misses the Cosmo Knight by 5 mile. The colonists in the station all die, the blast and firestorms set off by the impact kill everything on that hemisphere, and global cooling proceeds to kill of the rest..... CK vows to bring down this villain by whatever means it takes. (And eventually falls due to violating the code.)

Just out of curiosity, why would you think a phase beamer would bypass a cosmo-knight's energy resistance?
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Phase World page 122 mentions that the field these weapons project 'disrupts the natural defenses and healing of its victims' and that 'even vampires and supernatural beings suffer from this weapon'

Vampires are normally utterly impervious to normal energy, more resistant to it than Cosmo-Knights, so if they take full damage, I think a C-K would too.

If not for a Cosmo-Knight's armor being 'living' I would even say the beam would go through it and hit them through the armor. I imagine PBeamers are a hugely popular weapon for fighting off Cosmo-Knights.

The way these beams wreck a CK's healing is probably a big reason why they tiptoe around Phase World and don't just invade it en-masse to stop the slave trade in the Splugorth empire. Having your per-minute rate changed to a per-day rate makes you a lot less useful for prolonged/group combat.

The best defense a Cosmo-Knight would have against these weapons would be either investing in a Naruni force field or else getting the power of force field from a cosmic weapon, since force field regeneration rates are not compromised by the beamers.

Due to the healing compromise I would think even high-MDC creatures like dragons or gods would be partial to preferring force fields.

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”