Vehicle Modifications

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mantisking
Hero

Re:

Unread post by Mantisking »

macksting wrote:Although I like the modest increases to Max and Cruise speed yielded by one or more small but important improvements, are you sure these wouldn't together provide the equivalent of a Speed Class? I ask because, without an increased Speed Class, there's no explicit benefit to having that extra speed in combat. That 10 MPH won't allow you to pull away from the other car in a race, nor will it count toward damage or really much anything else, unless it's reflected in the die rolls. And you wouldn't want to add a +1 for something less than a speed class improvement.

Okay, I read the passage you're talking about, it's on page 27, and I also read the Vehicle Combat rules, pages 136 & 137. One, that paragraph never mentions how much you can increase the Speed Class only how much you can decrease it if you fail. Two, the only maneuver that depends on Speed Class is the Drag Race. Everything else is multiples of 10 mph.

macksting wrote:Also, might these fall under the category of a Gizmoteer using an automotive skill program to boost the speed of the vehicle by a speed class? If those more knowledgable than I feel that such improvements shouldn't come to a Speed Class improvement, perhaps they are simply part of that gizmoteer's attempt to pimp the ride.

My opinion of all the modifications I've posted is that they are stock, off-the-shelf items that non-gizmoteer O.C.C.s would install in their vehicles. Gizmoteers would take these items and make them better, lighter, faster, etc.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3
Aramanthus
Monk

Re: Vehicle Modifications

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Nice additions! I'm looking forward to seeing them put together in an entry.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Mantisking
Hero

New Vehicle Modifications
Radar Confusing Smokescreen:
This modification combines a smokescreen generator with a new, added component of carbon fiber particles. These particles are suspended in the smoke and they absorb and deflect radar waves. This generates many false images on the RADAR's imaging system. Bonuses: -10% to an opponent's Read Sensory Equipment skill when trying to find a target inside the smoke using Radar. There is also a -2 to Strike for Radar Guided Weapons systems attempting to attack any targets covered by the smoke. Cost: $6,000. Note: Only available for automobiles and aircraft.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Mantisking
Hero

New Automotive Vehicle Modifications
Pre-Crash System:
This modification installs a group of sensors and controls systems to the vehicle. If the sensors detect an imminent crash, and the operator does nothing to avoid it, then the controls activate a number of actions to protect the occupants of the vehicle -- seatbelts are tightened, seats are adjusted, windows closed, etc. Bonuses: Characters take 1D6 Damage for every 30 MPH in a crash. Cost: $2,000.
Mantisking
Hero

New Aerial Vehicle Modifications
Canards:
These are small wings placed in front of the main wings to help with airflow and to lower the stall speed of the aircraft. Bonuses: The Idling Speed of the aircraft is now 1/20 of the Maximum Speed. Cost: $ (1% of Base Cost). Note: Can only be mounted on planes. Cannot be retro-fitted.
Mantisking
Hero

New Vehicle Modifications
Weapons Concealment:
Unless you’re an authorized military vehicle, going around with machine guns and rocket launchers hanging out is going to attract unwanted attention. This modification hides all weapons within the body of the vehicle behind moving panels. Bonuses: ?? Penalties: It takes 1 Melee Attack to reveal the concealed weapons, and the weapons cannot be used while they are concealed. Weight: ½ the weight of the weapons concealed. Cost: Equal to the cost of the weapons concealed.

Wankel Engine: This is a rotary internal combustion engine that replaces pistons with a rotating triangle block inside an oval chamber. This design has a higher power-to-weight ratio than a conventional engine. Bonuses: + (Speed Class) pounds to Max. Load. Cost: $ (25% of Speed Class cost).

New Aerial Vehicle Modifications
Co-Axial Rotors:
This modification places two rotors on the same drive shaft that rotate in opposite directions. The lift generated by these rotors is more even and smoothes out the flight of the vehicle. Bonuses: +5% to Control Roll. Cost: $ (¼ of Speed Class cost). Note: Cannot be retro-fitted.

Forward Swept Wings: With this design the plane’s wings are angled forward to increase maneuverability and agility. Bonuses: +1 to Dodge. +1 to Dog Tail, Jinking, Roll Over, Maneuver Escape, and Chicken Tactics maneuvers. Cost: $ (25% of vehicle's Base Cost.). Note: Cannot be retro-fitted.
Mantisking
Hero

New Automotive Vehicle Modifications
Segmented Body:
Generally found on buses and subway cars, this modification places a hinge or segmented section in the middle of the vehicle's body. While it decreases the vehicle's turn radius it also weakens its structural integrity. Bonuses: +10% to Control Roll when turning. Penalties: -10% to S.D.C. and -1 to A.R. Cost: $(10% of Vehicle Base Cost).

Soft Convertible Top: This modification changes the vehicle's top into a more flexible material that allows it to be folded up into the cargo compartment and expose the passenger compartment to the air of the open road. Unfortunately this reduces the stiffness of the frame and allows the vehicle to vibrate more when in motion. Bonuses: +5% to Charm/Impress those that are impressed by such things. Penalties: -5% to Control Roll. Reduce Crew Compartment A.R. by 50% (round down) when the top is down. Cost: $(10% of Vehicle Base Cost).
Tearstone
Adventurer

Re:

Unread post by Tearstone »

Mantisking wrote:Stealth Mode: A "white noise" generator has been installed in the vehicle. When activated it emits sound frequencies designed to mask the operating noise of the vehicle. Bonuses: 45% Prowl skill for the vehicle. Cost: $10,000

Noise is still noise. The only way you wouldn't hear it coming is if you had an audio analysis done of the (extremely complex) sound of the car, then fit an audio system to produce soundwaves that had the exact opposite wave pattern. This would produce a pressure and funny feeling in the ears, but you wouldn't hear anything. (done tests similar to this with my own digital audio workspace)

As for inside the car... we call this the stereo.

Mantisking wrote:E.M.P. Hardening: All the electronics in the vehicle are protected from the effects of an Electro-Magnetic Pulse. Cost: $25,000.

$25,000? That's a bit much, considering it's just a thin layer of rubber shielding and a Faraday Cage on the electronics. EMP shielding is cheap and easy to do by anyone that knows how. Then again current day cars have miles of wires and such in them, and might be more complicated the more equipment you load into the car.

If I quote you, you will get spell-checked.
Mantisking
Hero

Re: Re:

Mantisking wrote:Stealth Mode: A "white noise" generator has been installed in the vehicle. When activated it emits sound frequencies designed to mask the operating noise of the vehicle. Bonuses: 45% Prowl skill for the vehicle. Cost: $10,000
Tearstone wrote:Noise is still noise. The only way you wouldn't hear it coming is if you had an audio analysis done of the (extremely complex) sound of the car, then fit an audio system to produce soundwaves that had the exact opposite wave pattern. This would produce a pressure and funny feeling in the ears, but you wouldn't hear anything. (done tests similar to this with my own digital audio workspace)

I've experienced the ear pressure sensation. It's very weird. Anyway. This mod is a bit sci-fi, based off of something in the old Airwolf tv show.

Tearstone wrote:As for inside the car... we call this the stereo.

Hardy, har, har. :)

Mantisking wrote:E.M.P. Hardening: All the electronics in the vehicle are protected from the effects of an Electro-Magnetic Pulse. Cost: $25,000.
Tearstone wrote:$25,000? That's a bit much, considering it's just a thin layer of rubber shielding and a Faraday Cage on the electronics. EMP shielding is cheap and easy to do by anyone that knows how. Then again current day cars have miles of wires and such in them, and might be more complicated the more equipment you load into the car.

Hmmnn. Maybe roll it down to $2,500 for a base and increase it based on the size of the vehicle?
JuliusCreed
Hero
Comment: Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
But today is a gift.
That's why it is called "the present".

Unread post by JuliusCreed »

Just a couple thoughts for you for these items...

Mantisking wrote:New Automotive Vehicle Modifications
Segmented Body:
Generally found on buses and subway cars, this modification places a hinge or segmented section in the middle of the vehicle's body. While it decreases the vehicle's turn radius it also weakens its structural integrity. Bonuses: +10% to Control Roll when turning. Penalties: -10% to S.D.C. and -1 to A.R. Cost: $(10% of Vehicle Base Cost).

Perhaps a 4 wheel steering option to get similar results without the SDC/AR loss. The tech already exists on a few cars and trucks today. Just take it a step further.

Mantisking wrote:Soft Convertible Top: This modification changes the vehicle's top into a more flexible material that allows it to be folded up into the cargo compartment and expose the passenger compartment to the air of the open road. Unfortunately this reduces the stiffness of the frame and allows the vehicle to vibrate more when in motion. Bonuses: +5% to Charm/Impress those that are impressed by such things. Penalties: -5% to Control Roll. Reduce Crew Compartment A.R. by 50% (round down) when the top is down. Cost: $(10% of Vehicle Base Cost).

Let's see a combat version of this. I'm thinking ballistic nylon and Kevlar would do the trick quite nicely.

Great work here so far, by the way :ok:
Sure, lions and tigers are stronger...
But I've never seen a wolf jump through hoops in a circus
Desert Rat
Wanderer

Unread post by Desert Rat »

You could attempt to install a white noise generator or.... you could just make the vehicle electric. With rapid advances in technology, capability is coming online with those of internal combustion engines. While sluggishness use to be a chief complaint of electric vehicles, the Tesla Model S claims an acceleration of 0-60 in 5.6 seconds. That is on par with a Porsche.

The only thing I would change with some of these mods is that I would take a closer look at some of the disadvantages which are associated with vehicle mods. For instance, modification to the suspension system may increase or decrease a vehicles handling, resulting in +/- bonus to a control rating, but would also inversely effect the vehicles cruise speeds. Think of it this way, when you make the vehicle a little more loose in the suspension an effort to transfer weight more efficiently through corners you also make it more 'sloppy' when you speed down straight roads. Apply negative bonuses with positive bonuses and you get some players tinkering with the numbers trying to achieve a vehicle to their liking...kind of like real life. If they are all positive bonuses, you get players who will just add everything and a kitchen sink.
Mantisking
Hero

JuliusCreed wrote:Just a couple thoughts for you for these items...

Excellent. That's just what I'm looking for.

Mantisking wrote:New Automotive Vehicle Modifications
Segmented Body:
JuliusCreed wrote:Perhaps a 4 wheel steering option to get similar results without the SDC/AR loss. The tech already exists on a few cars and trucks today. Just take it a step further.

I've seen that, but forgot to put it on my list of things to do.

Mantisking wrote:Soft Convertible Top: This modification changes the vehicle's top into a more flexible material that allows it to be folded up into the cargo compartment and expose the passenger compartment to the air of the open road. Unfortunately this reduces the stiffness of the frame and allows the vehicle to vibrate more when in motion. Bonuses: +5% to Charm/Impress those that are impressed by such things. Penalties: -5% to Control Roll. Reduce Crew Compartment A.R. by 50% (round down) when the top is down. Cost: $(10% of Vehicle Base Cost).
JuliusCreed wrote:Let's see a combat version of this. I'm thinking ballistic nylon and Kevlar would do the trick quite nicely.

Yeah, that's percolating in my head for the moment.

JuliusCreed wrote:Great work here so far, by the way :ok:

Thank you.

Desert Rat wrote:You could attempt to install a white noise generator or.... you could just make the vehicle electric. With rapid advances in technology, capability is coming online with those of internal combustion engines. While sluggishness use to be a chief complaint of electric vehicles, the Tesla Model S claims an acceleration of 0-60 in 5.6 seconds. That is on par with a Porsche.

I'm still working out how to do electric engines, and hybrids, and fuel cells. I'm going to keep the "Stealth Mode", maybe up the bonus in relation to how quiet electric engines are.

Desert Rat wrote:The only thing I would change with some of these mods is that I would take a closer look at some of the disadvantages which are associated with vehicle mods. For instance, modification to the suspension system may increase or decrease a vehicles handling, resulting in +/- bonus to a control rating, but would also inversely effect the vehicles cruise speeds. Think of it this way, when you make the vehicle a little more loose in the suspension an effort to transfer weight more efficiently through corners you also make it more 'sloppy' when you speed down straight roads. Apply negative bonuses with positive bonuses and you get some players tinkering with the numbers trying to achieve a vehicle to their liking...kind of like real life. If they are all positive bonuses, you get players who will just add everything and a kitchen sink.

I've done that in some cases already; Lowered Suspension, Four Wheel Drive, NOS, etc. I still have to go back and tweak all of them a little, add weights to some, fiddle with bonuses on others, etc. I do appreciate the critique though. That's why I post these things, to make them even better.
Tearstone
Adventurer

Unread post by Tearstone »

$2,500 sounds more like it, though I've noticed there's a number of things you have listed here that you can get on most any car off the lot. Not like the run-flat tires, but like GPS navigation, flex-fuel, etc... lots of vehicles have options for this stuff and can come built in off the lot. Is it really necessary to include these things as special modifications? Also, a lot of these package options come cheaper than what you're mentioning as far as price goes. I mean a GPS/Navigation system can cost as little as $100 for a good one. It's fairly cheap tech that's been around longer than most people think. It's just become popular technology.

If I quote you, you will get spell-checked.
Mantisking
Hero

Tearstone wrote:$2,500 sounds more like it, though I've noticed there's a number of things you have listed here that you can get on most any car off the lot. Not like the run-flat tires, but like GPS navigation, flex-fuel, etc... lots of vehicles have options for this stuff and can come built in off the lot. Is it really necessary to include these things as special modifications?

They're not in the main book and it'll save people time from looking them up. That's why I'm including them. Also, it allows people to modify older cars found in junk yards "in game".

Tearstone wrote:Also, a lot of these package options come cheaper than what you're mentioning as far as price goes. I mean a GPS/Navigation system can cost as little as $100 for a good one. It's fairly cheap tech that's been around longer than most people think. It's just become popular technology.

I started this six years ago. Some technology has become a lot more ubiquitous, and cheaper, in the intervening time. If you want to give me more accurate pricing on items, feel free.
Mantisking
Hero

I went through the list and made some modifications. I'm not going to post the updates unless someone wants me to though.

One thing I thought was odd is that engines don't have weight. Granted, it makes things simple but, one of the things real world designers have to fight with is engine size in relation to vehicle performance. So I came up with the following.

Engine Weight: Motorcycles = (Speed Class) pounds, Sports Cars = (Speed Class x 1.5), Cars/Trucks = (Speed Class x2), Commercial Vehicles = (Speed Class x3).

Also, after a little research I came up with some ways to differentiate types of engines.

Internal Combustion Engine: This is your standard car/truck/motorcycle engine. Bonuses: None. Cost: Standard.

Diesel Engine: This engine is similar to an IC engine but operates off of diesel fuel and operates slightly different. Bonuses: +5% to Range. Penalties: Can only use diesel fuel. Cost: 5% of Speed Class cost.

Electric Engine with Battery: This is an electric engine operating off of battery power. Bonuses: The vehicle now has a 50% Prowl skill. Penalties: -50% to Range. Takes eight (8) hours to recharge. On an "Battery Destroyed" result on the Critical Damage Table (page 139) the vehicle stops working. Cost: 25% of Speed Class cost.

Hybrid Engine: This is a combination internal combustion/electric engine. It uses the advantage of one type to compensate for the weaknesses of the other. Bonuses: The vehicle now has a 50% Prowl skill at Cruise Speed or less. +25% to Range. Penalties: On a "Electrical System Damaged" result on the Critical Damage Table (page 139) the vehicle's Maximum Speed is halved. Cost: 50% of Speed Class.

Electric Engine with Fuel Cell: This is an electric engine operating off of a Hydrogen fuel cell for power. Bonuses: The vehicle now has a 50% Prowl skill. Penalties: Can only use Hydrogen fuel. On a "Leak in Gas Tank" result on the Critical Damage Table (page 139) the fuel cell explodes for #D6 damage (#=Speed Class). Cost: Speed Class cost.
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

Thanks, for the update.
I hate it when my mind wonders,
Because I have no idea what it will bring back with it.

taalismn says -- Librarians assume the role of scholar-priest-kings in an increasinly illiterate society...

taalismn says -- Abtex...Unofficial archival mole for the fictional arms industry again with the sites that make you blink... :shock: :-D
Mantisking
Hero

New Automotive Vehicle Modification
FRP Coil Springs:
Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic coil springs are lighter and stronger than normal steel coil springs. This helps to improve handling and ride quality. Bonuses: +4% to Control Roll. +4% to Max Load. Cost: $(4% of Vehicle Base Cost).

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”