Reformed Demon (Shan Muo) and Human Form(s)

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Reformed Demon (Shan Muo) and Human Form(s)

Unread post by Tor »

Pg 57 mentions settling on a single human appearance and rolling dice normal 3D6 for attributes, with a PS/Spd bonus.

There is also mention of rolling 3D6 for attributes and then getting Demon Form bonuses.

What I'm wondering is: do you roll 2 sets of 3D6 (having separate bases for the demon and human attributes) or would you just roll the 3D6 8 times once and then just vary whether you get the fixed demon bonuses or the variable human bonuses.

Also wondering if, due to the somewhat unstable nature of the new human form, if you would roll the 1D6 bonuses every time you assumed that form, or just once and then stuck with a fixed amount?

Some questions are brought up on pg 58 as well, on the level 10 transformation. It mentions you appear to be around 20. Does this mean that the human form a Shan Muo chooses to adopt during their reformation process must look 20 as well? Or could a Reformed Demon choose to take on the appearance of an old man instead? They are pretty old...

I'm wondering about this disconnect because it mentions 'all attributes must be rerolled'. so the 3d6 x 8 you get for your attributes at 10th level appears to be disconnected to whatever attributes you had in your demonic form, as well as whatever 3d6 (whether this is the same or different) you have in your trasitionary semi-human form.

Considering the across-the-board re-rolling at 10th level it makes me wonder if other things might change too. For example, if you took on the form of an 80 year old human while reforming, could you possibly at 10th level become a 20 year old woman? Clearly a lot changes, like you could go from a human with a PS/Spd of 36 to a human with a PS/SPD of 3 when reaching 10th level, so if that much can change, I wonder about appearance and other attributes of the human form.

While the demon chooses the human shape they consistently assume at level 1, perhaps they don't get to choose how they appear at 10th level? Perhaps it's random and the GM could choose it for the player?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Reformed Demon (Shan Muo) and Human Form(s)

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

You roll once, apply the demon bonuses to the rolled set.

The human atributes do not change. The demon side are in addtion to the human side attributes.
------------
When they hit L10 they are a new char (i.e.: They are starting over) So yes they have to start out young, cause the old char is GONE. Look at the :crane: concept of the RD. :roll:
---------
After L10 they would ether look the same or difference depending.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Re: Reformed Demon (Shan Muo) and Human Form(s)

Unread post by Tor »

Crane concept? =/

I figure if you're being forced to be age 20 (regardless of whether your 'in dev' body was 9 or 99) and all attributes rerolled that things like appearance, genes (assuming the faux body even had them), height, gender, ethnicity etc. would all be randomized as well. One might have taken the form of a squat pro wrestler like Mark Henry only to be reborn at level 10 in a lanky form like the Great Khali's. Or perhaps Natalya Neidhart's.

The reason I'm wondering about separate sets of 3d6 is since it is repeated in both sections. It's not simply "add this as human, this as monster" but rather "roll these, add this" for each.

Also since they're stronger/faster even in human form, what to add in demon isn't clear, except to ignore whatever was randomly rolled and add the fixed strength/speed bonus the demon form gets instead.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”