Chi healing question

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nightmask
Palladin

Chi healing question

Unread post by Nightmask »

I find myself suddenly wondering about Chi Healing, given it's a massively potent ability particularly for a PC or NPC with the right MA to get triple digit chi. Firstly does chi healing leave scars when it heals someone or is it so complete a healing that even scars don't form as a result? Secondly how effective is it for someone who's had limbs severed? If it's so complete a healing that even a crude reattachment of a limb can be restored completely it even outshines the Flashsculpter from Nightbane with regards to the ability to reattach limbs. Just get a surgeon to attach the limb even at the basics and for a little chi someone would be completely restored. Definitely up there reflecting some of the high-powered anime MA-based series and movies when you can completely regenerate someone like that.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Chi healing question

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Everything you have asked about is up to the individual game's GM.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Nightmask wrote:I find myself suddenly wondering about Chi Healing, given it's a massively potent ability particularly for a PC or NPC with the right MA to get triple digit chi. Firstly does chi healing leave scars when it heals someone or is it so complete a healing that even scars don't form as a result?

I always assume supernatural healing of all types, magic, psionic, and chi, do not leave scars unless explicitly mentioned otherwise.

Secondly how effective is it for someone who's had limbs severed?

Restoring limbs is a very rare and potent ability in Palladium and is meant to be difficult, if a power does not specifically say it can, it cannot. This especially makes sense in veiw of the cyborg agent who can be a partial reconstruction borg. The obvious intention is getting an agency to give you a replacement is usually the only way to do it.

If it's so complete a healing that even a crude reattachment of a limb can be restored completely it even outshines the Flashsculpter from Nightbane with regards to the ability to reattach limbs. Just get a surgeon to attach the limb even at the basics and for a little chi someone would be completely restored. Definitely up there reflecting some of the high-powered anime MA-based series and movies when you can completely regenerate someone like that.

And this is why. in all of palladium restoring severed limbs is a very rare and very powerful ability. considering absolutely nothing in Chi healing says it CAN restore limbs, the default game ruling is that they cannot. only things which explictly SAY they can, can.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Nightmask wrote:I find myself suddenly wondering about Chi Healing, given it's a massively potent ability particularly for a PC or NPC with the right MA to get triple digit chi. Firstly does chi healing leave scars when it heals someone or is it so complete a healing that even scars don't form as a result?

I always assume supernatural healing of all types, magic, psionic, and chi, do not leave scars unless explicitly mentioned otherwise.

I'd always thought that as well but didn't hurt to ask and see how correct that assumption was.

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Nightmask wrote:Secondly how effective is it for someone who's had limbs severed?

Restoring limbs is a very rare and potent ability in Palladium and is meant to be difficult, if a power does not specifically say it can, it cannot. This especially makes sense in veiw of the cyborg agent who can be a partial reconstruction borg. The obvious intention is getting an agency to give you a replacement is usually the only way to do it.

Except N&SS tends to treat organizations as high-tech super-spies or low-tech mystic martial artists in nature, so characters with Chi Healing aren't likely to be in an organization with cyborgs. Plus often lost limbs are just destroyed and no way to regenerate them as the severed part just isn't intact enough to restore and some become cyborgs by choice, giving up perfectly good limbs for cyborg augmentation.

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Nightmask wrote:If it's so complete a healing that even a crude reattachment of a limb can be restored completely it even outshines the Flashsculpter from Nightbane with regards to the ability to reattach limbs. Just get a surgeon to attach the limb even at the basics and for a little chi someone would be completely restored. Definitely up there reflecting some of the high-powered anime MA-based series and movies when you can completely regenerate someone like that.

And this is why. in all of palladium restoring severed limbs is a very rare and very powerful ability. considering absolutely nothing in Chi healing says it CAN restore limbs, the default game ruling is that they cannot. only things which explictly SAY they can, can.

Not quite so, and notice I did say it's not the chi healing doing all the work, you've got someone doing surgery to reattach the limb initially rather than expecting chi healing to do all the work. If the ability can restore without scars some pretty horrific injuries (like having your hand crushed) why wouldn't it be able to finish the less difficult task of just repairing the remaining damage after a doctor has done the basic work of putting someone's hand back on?
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Nightmask wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Nightmask wrote:Secondly how effective is it for someone who's had limbs severed?

Except N&SS tends to treat organizations as high-tech super-spies or low-tech mystic martial artists in nature, so characters with Chi Healing aren't likely to be in an organization with cyborgs. Plus often lost limbs are just destroyed and no way to regenerate them as the severed part just isn't intact enough to restore and some become cyborgs by choice, giving up perfectly good limbs for cyborg augmentation.

And low-tech agencies are at a disadvantage in that regard. Balance does not require them to have all the same capabilities. high tech agencies can't work magic or make agents strong enough to throw tanks around, after all, only chi/magic can do that. it only stands to reason that tech has to have some edges magic hasn't caught up on.

Nightmask wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Nightmask wrote:If it's so complete a healing that even a crude reattachment of a limb can be restored completely it even outshines the Flashsculpter from Nightbane with regards to the ability to reattach limbs. Just get a surgeon to attach the limb even at the basics and for a little chi someone would be completely restored. Definitely up there reflecting some of the high-powered anime MA-based series and movies when you can completely regenerate someone like that.

Not quite so, and notice I did say it's not the chi healing doing all the work, you've got someone doing surgery to reattach the limb initially rather than expecting chi healing to do all the work. If the ability can restore without scars some pretty horrific injuries (like having your hand crushed) why wouldn't it be able to finish the less difficult task of just repairing the remaining damage after a doctor has done the basic work of putting someone's hand back on?

An individual GM can always say that X ability can also do Y in their game, but unless the game says X can do Y, then x doing Y can never be anything but a houserule. it's not like restoring limbs is even vaugely hinted at by the power.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Nightmask wrote:does chi healing leave scars
Palladium doesn't seem to give very clear rules on how scarring from injuries work. Up to GM based on how the injury was inflicted and how much damage was done, I think.

Nightmask wrote:how effective is it for someone who's had limbs severed?
It isn't mentioned as regrowing limbs. That's a dynamic that works outside SDC/HP recovery. A Heartless Immortal who taps positive chi can regrow them though, but that's on a whole other level.

Nightmask wrote:If it's so complete a healing that even a crude reattachment of a limb can be restored completely it even outshines the Flashsculpter from Nightbane with regards to the ability to reattach limbs.
The ability to attach severed limbs is also not addressed under the ability. I wouldn't outrule it, but much like re-attaching limbs via medical skills or magic spells, it's going to require some GM fuzzing since the mechanics aren't detailed.

Nightmask wrote:Just get a surgeon to attach the limb even at the basics and for a little chi someone would be completely restored.
Chi-Atsu doesn't remove stitches ;)
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”